MMI - MODEL MISSILES, INC. - TOWER !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one of these towers, but I could never figure out how the model rocket slid down or up the tower.

In this pic, a top view, you can see the internal rails. The rocket tube slides down between the edges of the rails and the fins remain in the gaps. This tower was not adjustable for different diameter rockets.

Dave F.

Image01.jpg

So it was essentially angle and flat pieces bolted together like an Erector Set? A neat piece of history! Thanks for the pictures!

I found some photo's of the MMI - Model Missiles, Inc. TOWER . . . ENJOY !

Dave F.

Thanks! I was actually thinking of building a replica MMI tower, and I was wondering if anyone had drawings or plans.

Alan,

I think those pics are as close as we are going to come, unless someone who still has one is willing and able to take accurate measurements and make scale drawings / templates.

Shoot me an email and I will make the full-size, original images available . . .

[email protected]

Dave F.

Alan,

I think those pics are as close as we are going to come, unless someone who still has one is willing and able to take accurate measurements and make scale drawings / templates.

Shoot me an email and I will make the full-size, original images available . . .

[email protected]

Dave F.
Your images as posted are good enough. Although, it would not hurt to know the sheet metal gauge and screw size. Love the NAR ruler!

As Dave said in post #3 the model rocket was to slide down between the 4 rails or plates. I kinda thought that 50 years ago, but it was still hard for me to visualize with the rockets that I had. So, I never tried it. Perhaps, I had the wrong diameter rocket. I, also, thought that perhaps the small system tunnels on an Aerobee-Hi might fit, but there is only 3 fins and 3 sets of system tunnels. Obviously, this tower was inspired by the towers (see Dave's post #10) used in the early sounding rocket days, perhaps the Aerobee-Hi itself, which I think was the first official looking kit of MMI.

Back