MMA-4 adapter with Aeropack retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
The LOC MMA-4 54-38mm adapter has a rather wide retainer ring at the end that does not fit into an Aeropack retainer. To enable the retainer top to screw in completely, I'd have to cut off about 2/3 of the ring, down to the line on the attached photo. Is that OK to do? An alternative would be to cut off less, maybe half, which would allow the retainer to screw in partially. Or is there some better way to do this?
Thanks,
Bill

mma4 adapter.jpg

mma4 and aeropack.jpg

@Tim - The tube fits fine, it is just the ring that is too wide. Or do you mean peel off part of the ring? Part of the ring must stay as it is to prevent the adapter from moving up the airframe, the problem is that the ring is too wide, the Aeropack has a narrower area for the retention ring.
@TBob - It may come to that although if possible I'd rather get my existing adapter to work rather than buy another one.

@TBob - It may come to that although if possible I'd rather get my existing adapter to work rather than buy another one.

If you get your adapter to fit with the Aeropack you are effectively only retaining the 54-38 adapter. You still have to retain the 38mm motor in the adapter. That's what make the Aeropack 54-38 adapter the perfect solution. No need for any additional retention method.

Easiest thing to do would just wrap tape around the existing AP retainer & LOC reducer. It should be fine but your CG will be further aft than you may like.

Back