MK82 High Drag bomb rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a 90 degree torsion spring on the hinge pins for the petals. These were about twice as strong as they needed to be.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9271k39/=w2k89f

9271k390l.gif

I know this is an old thread but recently had a similar desire to Chris and thought the Snake Eye would make a cool rocket. In researching it I found this thread and applaud Chris for his design.

I decided to go with the 3D printing route but had to use balsa for the fins to stay light enough (I was dead set on making an 18mm version). My first attempt was much more scale in appearance, but while it flew fine, it didn't work at all for the desired recovery and was scratched. For the second attempt I made the fins more "rocket" like mostly because it increased surface area and allowed them to be more easily made from balsa. This attempt also didn't quite work, but was much closer. It's probably more accurate to say it "worked enough" to cause me to continue trying.

My third attempt looked much like the second attempt but lengthened the main body tube portion and almost worked the first try. I knew I was real close so I made a few design tweaks and produced a functioning result.

Unlike Chris' design, my design uses a ejectable motor pod to reduce the weight on the "Bomb" portion (The bomb actually falls slower than the motor pod).

Here's one of the flights on a C6-3:

Here's the parts on Thingiverse if you want to build your own (Warning: It's complicated): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4847720

Really amazing design & rocket. You're a true genius. I'm so excited to see more of this build.

Nice to see SOMEONE else doing airbrake recovery!

Very impressive drag relative to brake size.

Congrats. It’s nice not to have to mess with wadding and shroud lines, isn’t it!

Posted your onboard for direct viewing.

Before I got out of rocketry 13 years ago I had designed a Mk82 "Snake Eye" bomb type rocket with petal type air brakes. I started a thread on Rocketry Online about it but never built mine. Someone there had actually built one about BT60 sized. Your thread and the one on the umbrella chute got me thinking about it again. Over the weekend we attended our first launch with the kids at Moffett field. Afterwards we were able to take a tour of a P3 Orion and they had the sonobouys on display. They also use a petal type air brakes. I explained how it worked to the kids and told them about my rocket idea and it got the creative juices flowing again. I've got it all drawn up in Open Rocket. I just need to order the parts.

Here's a picture of what I am thinking about:

View attachment 166009

This is what I came up with. The motor mount tube will be the main structure of the rocket. I'll use LOC or some other heavyweight 24mm tube. The outer shell will be made from BT-80 and I'll use a long BT-80 nose cone. The front 6" of the body tube will be attached to the nose cone. The forward section of the rocket will slide front to back on a coupler that is attached to the motor mount. The rear 12" will be cut into 4 sections and then a fin will be glued to the edge of each section. These sections will be hinged into a thick balsa centering ring at the rear. The front edges will have a short segment of coupler glued to them. In flight these segments will be captured inside the back edge of the front section of tubing. When the ejection charge goes off it will push the forward section forward and the rear segments will be free to open up. The four segments will be kept from opening too far by lengths of Kevlar twine.

View attachment 166021

View attachment 166020
any chance you could send me the OpenRocket simulation?

Latest posts

Back