MK-109 Stingray

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
When "Twowalks" asked how many rockets we had, I had to really count....... While counting I came across my MK-109 Stingray...... It was about my 2nd or 3rd rocket I built and lasted me about 3 or 4 flights until one flight in which the nosecone and parachute drifted off and was never found, while the body tube was recovered..........

My question is this....... Does anyone here have a MK-109 Stingray
that is complete? If so, how long is the nosecone? I would like to have "Sandman" make me another nosecone and get this rocket back in the air.........

Hear that Sandman? Warm up the Lathe...........

I am pretty sure I have a NC from a MK-109 kit. Doesn't it use the tube that's a funny size? E-mail me...I'll take a look!

Jason

Yep...the Mk-109 uses the funky BT-101 or something like that...the tube that's used with all the smaller kits that have plastic fins and motor mounts (like the Banshee, Bandit, Dagger, Rampage, and others). There's only one nose cone that fits that tube I think....it's a standard long ogive cone. Not hard to find, I'm sure. My Mk-109's long gone, but one of my fav's...great flyer.

Seems to be about 3.5-4 inches long...want it?

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
Seems to be about 3.5-4 inches long...want it?

Jason, I was not asking for it.......... But if you don't need it, I could get my rocket back to flying status........

I don't need it...I don't have any of that funny sized tube, and wasn't planning on getting any anytime soon. So, I repeat my question. Want it?

Jason

You can find the nosecone measurements on the detailed RockSim version 4 file that I created for this design on the EMRR web site at:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim/est_mk109.rkt

Or see the attached file.

The MK109 Stingray nosecone is 4.6 inches long and 1.1 inches in diameter according to my measurements.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

i actually do have one... small like 12 inch one... plastic fins and such? yeah... mines actually still awaiting its first launch lol...

I have been searching for info on the actual missile........ I have not found anything. Does anyone know anything about the real missle. It doesn't appear to be in the Navy's active inventory or it has been re-named..........

The letters (MK) doesn't even follow the current naming convention........ I found a site (see below) that tells how missile are named or numbered...... Currently "RIM" is used for "ship to air" missiles

https://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/docs/MDS_mis.pdf

I believe that the MK-109 is a figment of Estes imagination, much like the SA-14 Archer, where the SA stands for Standard Arm, but it is merely a Sport Scale Standard Arm wanna-bee. I have also searched the Estes Python, which is very Scale looking, but has no real missile to be compared too. Another dead give away, is that the MK-109 is a 3-fin rocket, which the military made very few of, if at all. Most are 4-finned in multiple sets (a.k.a. the Nike Hercules is a 4-fin design, but has 3-sets of 4 fins, for a total of 12 over-all) This allows for steerability in all directions...

...heck, I do not even know what I am talking about, can someone chime in here??

anyways, that is my take on it. If you look through missile photos, the MK-109 design will be in there somewhere, it may be a design that looks similar to something...

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
I believe that the MK-109 is a figment of Estes imagination,

Oh my, I feel totally stupid now.......... I thought it was based on a real missile........:eek:

Jason,

I got you package on Friday......THANKS!!!!!!!!...... (Now I can launch the orginal MK-109 right before I put my 2.4X version in the air)...... I am going to try and launch it (the small version) from my backyard this afternoon........

Here's a pic........

My estes MK-109 is now out the repair shop........ I named it "Figment of my imagination"........I attached a new parachute (boy, it's been a while since I put the lines on a estes parachute) and stuck a B6-6 in it and headed out to the back yard......... Beautiful day to launch a rocket...... Clear and no wind.......

Here it is right before lift-off.........

And away it went.......... not exactly straight up, but close....... Then it headed across the street to some woods (I have never had a rocket head that way, they always head the other way towards the lake)...... And sure enough, it got caught in a pine tree....... It was 12-15 feet in the air......

I went and got my truck, backed up to the tree and climbed from the truck bed into the tree.......... And with a hand saw, cut the branch off........

The only damage was one of the lines came off the parachute, and that might be cause I didn't tie it good enough......

"Figment of my imagination"....

Figment?? isn't that Mint flavored Fig Newtons?? :D

Nice Christmas ornament pic...glad you got it back.

Back