MJG Firewire Initiator for Dual Deployment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntsgators

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using MJG Firewire Initiator with the EasyMini altimeter with the 3.7V Lipo battery they make? Since Quest Q2G2 ignitors were able to fire in that configuration, I would assume MJG Firewire Initiator would also work, but I rather ask then purchase them and find out they don't work.

yes that's what I use exclusively for my rockets, easy mini with the MJG firewire and 1s lipo, 100% in many 10s of flights since I ran out of q2g2's

Does anyone have any experience using MJG Firewire Initiator with the EasyMini altimeter with the 3.7V Lipo battery they make? Since Quest Q2G2 ignitors were able to fire in that configuration, I would assume MJG Firewire Initiator would also work, but I rather ask then purchase them and find out they don't work.

Can you airstart a motor with an MJG? CTI, yes. But I would still augment it with something. Aerotech motor, nope.
Certain motors yes, Aerotech motors for most formulations will need to have the Firewire augmented with a pyrogen dip of some type, CTI motors with the starter pellets should be okay with just a MJG Firewire (up to 54mm iirc).

Just commenting that the answers for air starting are wrt the mjg igniters, not to the easy mini which won't do air starts afaik.

Certain motors yes, Aerotech motors for most formulations will need to have the Firewire augmented with a pyrogen dip of some type, CTI motors with the starter pellets should be okay with just a MJG Firewire (up to 54mm iirc).
I think CTI is actually shipping Firewire's now... the newer motors come with a blue and white ematch instead of the older yellow ones, and I think that color scheme is exclusive to the Firewire. They don't light up quite the way that the old ematches did, so a little dip in your favorite pyrogen wouldn't hurt.

I think CTI is actually shipping Firewire's now... the newer motors come with a blue and white ematch instead of the older yellow ones, and I think that color scheme is exclusive to the Firewire. They don't light up quite the way that the old ematches did, so a little dip in your favorite pyrogen wouldn't hurt.
I believe you might be right Cris, there are usually quite a few blue and white wire igniter wires in the "pad trash", and we have quite a few CTI fliers (and spotty CTI availability). I personally have flown fewer than 10 CTI motors.

They are firewire. I'm curious if you had issues with them lighting the CTI motors, as we haven't heard anything yet. Please email me at [email protected] to discuss this further.

Early on, Firewire Initiators were considered only for use at the launch pad and not for use in setting off deployment charges where ignition had to be 100% reliable.

I have a few Firewire Initiators left and a large number of “motor starters” from an unnamed but well known informal source.

Firewires have the same no fire and all fire currents as regular J-Teks. They worked with ATF and reformulated the pyrogen so it's not regulated. CTI motors with pellets will have a bare Firewire while the other motors will have a dipped Firewire. I don't know about the tiny ones for motors like the F30. The dipped ones will light Aerotech motors.
For dual deployment, you can use Firewires just like any of the regulated ematches.

Do you make them with 3 ft leads? 6ft are a waste of wire for most of what I do.
The web site shows 3 ft leads. Go to the FireWire page, scroll down to shopping area, and select package.
I have both 7 ft and 3 ft lengths (J-Tek), will be going to FireWires next time. No reason to keep an ATF license for J-Teks.

Back