Mixing Krylon with Krylon Fusion. Any issues?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalligood

Reaction score
Long story short, I'm in the process of a scratchbuild "funnel fin" rocket which is exactly like it sounds... I've taken some 2.6" tubing & a plastic funnel, cut a large central hole in the funnel & attached it to the airframe. I briefly considered leaving the funnel the stock red plastic but now I think I'd like to take a stab at painting it...

I know that Krylon Fusion is designed for plastic but I really want to paint the rocket flat black...and Fusion only comes in bright, glossy colors. I thought I'd use the Fusion as a basecoat & then lay "standard" Krylon paint over it.

Has anyone tried this? Did it work?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

I have used Fusion as a "primer" for regular Krylon without issues several times.

Originally posted by rbeckey
I have used Fusion as a "primer" for regular Krylon without issues several times.

Excellent :D That's exactly what I wanted to hear...

And thanks to Snaquin for the advice on allowing for extended drying time with the Fusion...as I'm pretty darn familiar with the humid conditions he referred to!

I'm sorry about being a little off topic here but i have to say how much i LOVE krylon paints. I've just "discovered" This, in my first attempt at painting a rocket..

Again sorry :D

Lance
Sorry I can't offer any good advice on the Fusion. But the posts here are good info as I use Krylon all the time and I have always been worried about mixing the Fusion and the regular stuff.

Could you please post info once you fly your funnel rocket? I am interested in making something like this myself so I would love to know some of your dimensions/scale data and how stable the design is. I also want to make some tube fin rockets and tetrahedrons.
Thanks

Originally posted by Gregzo
Lance
Sorry I can't offer any good advice on the Fusion. But the posts here are good info as I use Krylon all the time and I have always been worried about mixing the Fusion and the regular stuff.

Could you please post info once you fly your funnel rocket? I am interested in making something like this myself so I would love to know some of your dimensions/scale data and how stable the design is. I also want to make some tube fin rockets and tetrahedrons.
Thanks

Project update & slight OT post...

I just scuffed up the plastic surface of my funnels with 200 grit sandpaper & sprayed them with standard Krylon white primer & then ultra flat black. It appears to have stuck to the surface quite well.

As far as the funnel rocket, I have every intention of posting a review of it (along with reasonably detailed build information) over on EMRR. FWIW, funnels are essentially saucers with very tall tubes coming out of them, thus making them VERY VERY stable.

And if you want to build a tube fin rocket, check out my Tube-a-licious. Email or PM me if you have any questions about what I did (although the review does a pretty good job explaining the build).

Lastly, get yourself an Art Applewhite Qubit. Closest thing you can buy to a true tetrahedron & they flight amazingly well!

HTH,

Back