Mix and Match Estes PSII Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
I was messing around with my Estes Sahara in OR, simming different motors. I believe the Sahara is the top of an Argent, middle portion of a ventris, and fin can from a Partizon. It's a bit too short for G motors, so I wodered if I could stretch it. So I was idling wondering what would happen if I took the top of the Sahara and put it on the Partizon.

Curious if anyone has tried this, or if it's a bad idea. I'm a little concerned about ejection with such a long body tube.

Attachments

• Partizargent.ork
    47.6 KB · Views: 6
2" tubes at the front, 2.5" tubes at the back. What makes it too short for G's?

If you glue the payload to the transition and cap the back of the transition, you'll just be ejecting with the same volume as the partizon (blowing off the transition/payload instead of the nose)

It'll probably be into super-roc territory so make sure you have plenty of stability (1 "caliber" isn't enough, aim for 10% of the rocket length)

2" tubes at the front, 2.5" tubes at the back. What makes it too short for G's?

If you glue the payload to the transition and cap the back of the transition, you'll just be ejecting with the same volume as the partizon (blowing off the transition/payload instead of the nose)

It'll probably be into super-roc territory so make sure you have plenty of stability (1 "caliber" isn't enough, aim for 10% of the rocket length)
The Sahara is only about 48" long. If you put a G motor in, you'll have just about 1 caliber of stability, more or less. I was a little leery of that. K'Tesh's OR sim shows .979 cal with a G80. If the body tube was longer, say, that would help, but it would basically be an Argent at that point.

Yes, I was planning on the break being at the transition.

This very long rocket will be 72" long. So are you saying I should try for 7.2" between CG and CP?

Sounds reasonable for the Sahara was that including chute? Id probably put a tracker or other weight in the nose to give me the extra stability.

Ooph, yeah your L/D ratio is almost 30 against the 2.5" body. If i had that rocket, I'd run a stability plot and make sure it didnt drop below 6 through the flight

Back