Mission Points in Sport Scale

Discussion in 'Scale' started by BMcD, Feb 5, 2020.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 5, 2020 #1

BMcD

BMcD

BMcD

My son and I are both doing NARTREK (he is doing cadet, and I am doing the regular). Both tracks eventually call for us to build sport scale models from kits. Neither of us has ever attended a NAR competition, so other than reading the rules, we don't really KNOW what goes on at those or how they are judged, which we will be called upon to do with our models. Given that we will not be attending an actual competition, I don't think that the quality of our judging will be a big deal. But we do need a better idea what to look for in a particular area: mission points.

He has selected an Estes Honest John for his sport scale kit. I have selected an Estes V-2.

Given that many rockets are actually military weapons, what do people actually DO to score mission points? If I tilt my launch rod a bit toward London do I get 5 mission points? If his rocket fails to deploy and disappears into the trees does he get 50?

While this sounds silly, it is a serious question. At a real NAR competition are there people with models that score zero mission points because the actual mission of the subject of the model is impossible to reproduce reasonably?

2. Feb 5, 2020 #2

mikec

mikec

mikec

Almost certainly. From https://www.nar.org/contest-flying/us-model-rocket-sporting-code/craftsmanship-events/sport-scale/
    "Mission points are awarded for appropriate and scale-like operation of the model during flight... Any such operation must comply fully with the safety standards set forth in this NAR Sporting Code. If it does not, the entry shall be disqualified."

Your subjects just don't lend themselves to mission points.

If the HoJo spun up during boost that would get mission points.

3. Feb 6, 2020 #3

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Mission Points Worksheet (NARAM 60)_preview.jpeg

BMcD likes this.