Missing Apollo 11 tapes discussed on NPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

gpoehlein

Reaction score
I was listening to Morning Edition this morning and they did a story on the missing Apollo 11 video tape masters. Interesting piece, but they did note that archivists have collected the best tapes that are available and had them digitally enhanced and cleaned up. The story and some examples can be found here:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106637066

evil ed

Reaction score
I heard this earlier on CNN. The first thing I thought is that the whacko who lives in the trailer, out in the desert, with all of those cats will have a field day with this one!:cyclops:

InFlight

Reaction score
It's amazing how the Roman Empire was more efficient at recording their history than we are today. :bangpan:

A copy of all those tapes should have been stored at the Smithsonian Institution. Don't leave it to NASA to save our history...

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
<Morning Edition, July 16, 2009 · An exhaustive, three-year search for some tapes that contained the original footage of the Apollo 11 moonwalk has concluded that they were probably destroyed during a period when NASA was erasing old magnetic tapes and reusing them to record satellite data.>

The "We never landed on the moon" conspiracy nuts will love this...