Missileworks Screw Switch...how to keep tight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jozef

Reaction score
I installed a MW screw switch on a MW altimeter bay sled. The screw doesn't appear to have a means to resist turning out of contact. I could foul up the treads a bit, but before I do I would like to know what other users have experienced.

I'm assuming you're talking about vibrations "bouncing" the switch loose so it loses signal. To be honest, it's occurred to me that this might happen, but I've never had it actually come loose in a flight.

I'm assuming you're talking about vibrations "bouncing" the switch loose so it loses signal. To be honest, it's occurred to me that this might happen, but I've never had it actually come loose in a flight.

Same here, I am not sure our flights are really long enough for this particular scenario of the screw loosening to be an issue. Of more import is making sure not to unscrew it too far and the screw fall out. I always put a small stake imprint on the tip of the screw to prevent the screw from backing out all the way.

I travel hundred of miles to launches.
It became aggravating having the screws fall out of switch especially when sometimes rockets were prepped.
From bouncing around in the truck during travel.

I started putting a tiny blob of "sticky tack" on threads. Problem solved. [no it does not interfere with electrical contact.]

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 3.57.22 PM.png

Sticky tack...same stuff used to plug holes through BP's where wires come through.

I travel hundred of miles to launches.
It became aggravating having the screws fall out of switch especially when sometimes rockets were prepped.
From bouncing around in the truck during travel.

I started putting a tiny blob of "sticky tack" on threads. Problem solved. [no it does not interfere with electrical contact.]

View attachment 319025

Sticky tack...same stuff used to plug holes through BP's where wires come through.

^+1

You can take a pair of diagonal cutters and carefully cut the screw so that the last couple threads are damaged. The screw will never fall out again.

Those APE screw guides are the business though. :wink:

I removed and replaced the screw with a longer one and add a lock but on the back side.

Never lose the screw again.

You can take a pair of diagonal cutters and carefully cut the screw so that the last couple threads are damaged. The screw will never fall out again.

Those APE screw guides are the business though. :wink:

Just tried the diagonal cutter on the last couple threads and put screws back in switch. I like the stiffness of the screw now.
I don't think the screws will vibrate out during transit now. Great idea! I'll just use the sticky tack for sealing wire holes in the bulkheads now.
Greg

Lots of good ideas, guys. Thanks for the feedback

Back