Missileworks RRC3 Xtreme Stock

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoboldMeister

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I saw many vendors are finally getting Missileworks RRC3s back in stock. I have yet to see any of the Xtreme altitude variants though? Does anyone know when they’ll start restocking?

Thanks!

The Sport is actually capable of 100k msl. Same sensor and software. The biggest differenceis the capacitor. To pull off a 100k flight takes a fair amountof $$$ and experience. Whats the highest altitude you've gone so far?

Last edited:
Yeah I’m aware of that. I wanted the Xtreme with the larger capacitors so I could use the boards for my L2, then reuse them in more complex builds later in life. I’m hoping to do my L1 in October.

Yeah I’m aware of that. I wanted the Xtreme with the larger capacitors so I could use the boards for my L2, then reuse them in more complex builds later in life. I’m hoping to do my L1 in October.
The Extreme I haven't usually seen offered by too many vendors other than Missleworks, of course Jim is out of them to it looks like.

It is always good to think ahead, but only a tiny portion of L3 fliers ever need an altimeter with those capabilities. Just a random guess, but I bet under 100 rocketeers have ever built a rocket that exceeded 50kft, and probably only a couple dozen have ever exceeded 100kft. The time/cost/effort scaling in hobby is daunting, and a 50-100k flight is usually the result of a multiyear project by a rocketeer with many years of experience and probably won't cost less than a few thousand dollars when it is all said and done. It is also often the case that by the time they get there, they are interested in altimeters with more features, like telemetry, an accelerometer, or a GPS. What I'm saying is that you probably shouldn't worry about it now. Just buy what is available and meets your needs for the next few flights/builds and cross that bridge when you get there.

It is always good to think ahead, but only a tiny portion of L3 fliers ever need an altimeter with those capabilities. Just a random guess, but I bet under 100 rocketeers have ever built a rocket that exceeded 50kft, and probably only a couple dozen have ever exceeded 100kft. The time/cost/effort scaling in hobby is daunting, and a 50-100k flight is usually the result of a multiyear project by a rocketeer with many years of experience and probably won't cost less than a few thousand dollars when it is all said and done. It is also often the case that by the time they get there, they are interested in altimeters with more features, like telemetry, an accelerometer, or a GPS. What I'm saying is that you probably shouldn't worry about it now. Just buy what is available and meets your needs for the next few flights/builds and cross that bridge when you get there.
Well Stated Eggplant!

That's planning waaaaaYYYYYY too far ahead, and needlessly over-complicating things.
There is exactly one (1) public place in all of the continental US where you could even attempt a 100+K flight, and you are about 2,000 miles from it.

Keep it simple, fly what you want, build and cert L1 and L2 rockets, and THEN go shopping for L3 supplies.
You will spend less money, have fewer headaches, and way more fun this way.

HTH,
a

That's planning waaaaaYYYYYY too far ahead, and needlessly over-complicating things.
There is exactly one (1) public place in all of the continental US where you could even attempt a 100+K flight, and you are about 2,000 miles from it.

Not to split hairs, but I can think of 2 BLM locations offhand right now and 2 more with public access available. 100k access isn't that impossible.

Not to split hairs, but I can think of 2 BLM locations offhand right now and 2 more with public access available. 100k access isn't that impossible.

So you already have FAA clearance in those areas? That would be pretty awesome. how about 8 to 10k to make a 100k shot? 100k shot is much much much harder then most realize. BALLS was last week and hardly anyone got close. Lots of failures from highly experienced and financed fliers.

So you already have FAA clearance in those areas? That would be pretty awesome. how about 8 to 10k to make a 100k shot? 100k shot is much much much harder then most realize. BALLS was last week and hardly anyone got close. Lots of failures from highly experienced and financed fliers.
No standing personal access but Black Rock, Delamar, New Mexico, Alaska, all have places where you can fly to 100k.

But yes, like you said, finding some place to fly isn't the hard part. I think class 3 project success st BALLS the last few years is below 20%. These are highly experienced and well-financed flyers and they struggle. For $5k I could stack two O5280s on top of each other and throw a chute and some electronics in there and make a pretty crater for my efforts.
It takes more time, money, and experience than most people have to even consider a realistic 100k shot.

No standing personal access but Black Rock, Delamar, New Mexico, Alaska, all have places where you can fly to 100k.

But yes, like you said, finding some place to fly isn't the hard part. I think class 3 project success st BALLS the last few years is below 20%. These are highly experienced and well-financed flyers and they struggle. For $5k I could stack two O5280s on top of each other and throw a chute and some electronics in there and make a pretty crater for my efforts.
It takes more time, money, and experience than most people have to even consider a realistic 100k shot.

all true and good advice but @KoboldMeister keep your goals and ambition high, plot a path from where you are to where you want to be, and get started down it. The only way to absolutely guarantee failure is to give up on the attempt.

when you said "how about 8 to 10k to make a 100k shot?" did you mean 8-10k dollars? If so, that seems on the high side to me but i haven't really thought about it in detail. Depending on where you are geographically the logistics alone (just traveling and the stay) could be a significant cost.

when you said "how about 8 to 10k to make a 100k shot?" did you mean 8-10k dollars? If so, that seems on the high side to me but i haven't really thought about it in detail. Depending on where you are geographically the logistics alone (just traveling and the stay) could be a significant cost.

I am working a 175,000 foot project right now. With just the cases and propellant, I am well over $3,000 (O3400 to M2245). Throw in recovery, avionics, airframe, and custom machining and it will be about $6,000 in total.

That doesn't count the M840 to K250 sub-min 75,000' project I am doing now to get the processes and procedures nailed down for the 175k shot in 2023. The interim project alone is another $2,500.

I live 2 hours away from Black Rock so my trans cost is almost nothing. But the costs add up rapidly.

Havent dont your L1 yet and planning to go 100k? At the cost it takes to go 100k, i probably wouldnt worry about saving the 100$ it would get you to recycle an altimeter or two… just sayin….

I am working a 175,000 foot project right now. With just the cases and propellant, I am well over $3,000 (O3400 to M2245). Throw in recovery, avionics, airframe, and custom machining and it will be about $6,000 in total.

That doesn't count the M840 to K250 sub-min 75,000' project I am doing now to get the processes and procedures nailed down for the 175k shot in 2023. The interim project alone is another $2,500.

I live 2 hours away from Black Rock so my trans cost is almost nothing. But the costs add up rapidly.
Those both sound very interesting projects. Especially the 175k foot build, please post a build thread at some point :)

I'm working on a two-stage 100k foot build for next year myself, in fact, my L3 cert flight was the booster stage by itself on a 75mm AT M650 and an adapter since the airframe is a 4" min diameter design. Loki has a 54mm M and I can sim my 4" booster with a 54mm sustainer to about 120k feet so i'm headed in a 54mm sustainer direction. Doing a 54mm sustainer vs a 75mm design cuts my sustainer build costs about 60%, sounds crazy but that's what it works out to.

In the mean time, i built a 3" to 2" two stage airframe that i can fly at my local field to work out electronics and procedures.

EDIT: as for recovery, at airfest someone used a huuuuge streamer for recovery, i really like the idea. I ordered a small one from RocketMan Parachutes and will be testing it out. If it works as i expect i'll be doing streamer based recovery from here on out.

Back