MissileWorks RRC3 not recognized on laptop

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PradyumnaKSV

Reaction score
We're a student team trying to build a sounding rocket, for which we are using MissieWorks RRC3 as our primary flight computer. We have used the standard adapter given to connect it to our laptop. But as soon as I connect it to the laptop, it says "device malfunctioned". When I checked the device manager on the laptop, it showed the USB port to be "Unknown device(Device Descriptor Request Failed)". The laptop has windows 10 on it. Could anyone tell me what the problem might be?

We're a student team trying to build a sounding rocket, for which we are using MissieWorks RRC3 as our primary flight computer. We have used the standard adapter given to connect it to our laptop. But as soon as I connect it to the laptop, it says "device malfunctioned". When I checked the device manager on the laptop, it showed the USB port to be "Unknown device(Device Descriptor Request Failed)". The laptop has windows 10 on it. Could anyone tell me what the problem might be?

What version of mDACS are you using? Have you successfully connected before? If not, you may need to install the FT‐232 driver first. Also, you need .NET framework 4.0 minumum.

Do you have a copy of the mDACS user manual? The sequence of how to set everything up, as well as establish a connection, is described there. http://www.missileworks.com/downloads/

In addition to trying a different cable, you can try your cable on a different computer. Also, not sure whether USB 2.0 vs 3.0 matters, but trying both types of USB ports with your cable might help rule out the port being the issue.

What version of mDACS are you using? Have you successfully connected before? If not, you may need to install the FT‐232 driver first. Also, you need .NET framework 4.0 minumum.

Do you have a copy of the mDACS user manual? The sequence of how to set everything up, as well as establish a connection, is described there. http://www.missileworks.com/downloads/

In addition to trying a different cable, you can try your cable on a different computer. Also, not sure whether USB 2.0 vs 3.0 matters, but trying both types of USB ports with your cable might help rule out the port being the issue.
I just bought one this last summer, it worked fine, but this week I plugged it in and got that very same error. I tried everything: drivers, cables, even two different computers and nothing worked. I actually contacted missile works and they sent me a replacement, only to have the very same problem The only thing different between my problem and theirs, is that I'm running windows 11.

A few years ago I had a similar problem that was caused by loose crimp contacts in the header plug on the blue 4-wire data cable off the USB IO dongle. When you insert the plug onto the board header, make sure the header pins don’t push the crimp connectors out.

IMG_0275.jpeg

I just bought one this last summer, it worked fine, but this week I plugged it in and got that very same error. I tried everything: drivers, cables, even two different computers and nothing worked. I actually contacted missile works and they sent me a replacement, only to have the very same problem The only thing different between my problem and theirs, is that I'm running windows 11.

Any update on this issue?

Back