Missileworks RRC2+ Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have the Missileworks RRC2+ Altimeter
and the directions didn't mention any specific orientation.
Does it matter which way up it's mounted or is there a preferred way.
Thank you

Hello everyone.

I have the Missileworks RRC2+ Altimeter
and the directions didn't mention any specific orientation.
Does it matter which way up it's mounted or is there a preferred way.
Thank you
It doesn't matter which way you put it. Great choice by the way.

Thanks guys, I have another question.
I have the Loc black Brant 4 inch diameter. I want to avoid having wires hanging in the EB because of vibration. Originally I was going to mount the switch to the switch band but then on the inside, that would crazy wire crossing in mid air over to the sled. I read about someone who mounted their switch on the front bulkhead of the EB. I would then need to turn on the switch and put my front payload tube on and and slide it on too my tail then raise the rocket vertically. So my fear is, when the switch is on and pyros armed, is there any chance during raising the rocket vertically the Altimeter could get a mis reading and fire the pyros.

Thank you

At a launch, you're only allowed to turn on your pyro electronics after the rocket is on the rail and locked in the vertical position.

The pictures show how I set up my switches on small headboards. Those are FingerTech switches, but you can do the same with screw switches and even rotary switches. All you have to do is drill a hole in the switch band that lines up with the switch.

Lotus-5-AvBay-01.JPG Lotus-5-AvBay-02.JPG IMG_4282.JPG

Pretty much what Q said. The hole can even be one of the vent holes as long as it is not restricted by the placement of the switch.

This is how I did one of mine (this one is for redundant system in a 3" airframe):

Screw switches mounted to the battery side of the sled. Note that they are recessed a bit from the edge of the sled to ensure that they do not obstruct the vent hole.
1643582714242.png

Front side of the sled with the RRC2+ and RRC3. All wires secured to the sled.
1643582810121.png

Good choice on the RRC2+ by the way! After the initial learning curve, you will find that they are super easy to use and dead reliable.

Have fun!

Pretty much what Q said. The hole can even be one of the vent holes as long as it is not restricted by the placement of the switch.

This is how I did one of mine (this one is for redundant system in a 3" airframe):

Screw switches mounted to the battery side of the sled. Note that they are recessed a bit from the edge of the sled to ensure that they do not obstruct the vent hole.
View attachment 502340

Front side of the sled with the RRC2+ and RRC3. All wires secured to the sled.
View attachment 502342

Good choice on the RRC2+ by the way! After the initial learning curve, you will find that they are super easy to use and dead reliable.

Have fun!
Thank you for the pictures

What learning curve should i be concerned with on this? I have had a hard time ground testing the altimeter but the boot up is great and I get the proper number of beeps when launch ready. I was going to try it out this month on a small rocket with a hope since it is reputed to be so launch ready. I even sent a video of the boot up to the owner of missle works and he said it was working perfectly. anything else I should look out for?

I using a push button switch pressed through a vent hole in the ebay.

My AV bays look like spaghetti. It's great, and probably smarter, to tie down your wires, but it is not a necessity.

Question about the altimeter holes. The manual says you should use 1/8” holes for 54mm birds and 5/32” holes for a 3 inch bird. Which measurement should be used for a 2.6” bird? Thanks!

If you have a 3d printer, I have a couple of AV bay designs for RRC2+
Larger - 4" av bay for RRC2 / RRC3 holds a total of (2) any combination - plus uses a screw / microswitch, one per altimter
Smaller -4" avbay compact, holds a single RRC2 singe screw / microswitch. VERY COMPACT.

Large
1716231427797.png
Small

1716231058786.jpeg
1716231097353.jpeg

Back