Missile Works T3 and Rocket Track - possible to get last reported position?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
Lost a rocket today despite 2 GPS trackers, both failed. The main chute deployed prematurely at 4000' and we saw it drifting away. One of the trackers is a T3, which I used today with Rocket Track on my Android phone. Unfortunately, I did not use Rocket Locator, which has a Load Last Position tab. I don't see any similar tab on Rocket Track, and I don't think it is possible to download data directly from the T3 receiver.

So I suspect the answer is "no" but I'll ask anyway -- is there any way to recover the last reported GPS position?
Thanks,
Bill

Check your Android device storage. There may be a log file somewhere.

Lesson Learned: Write down the last lat/long before closing the app, hiding the app, or putting the device in your pocket. I do this with any GPS tracker.

How, exactly, did two GPS devices "fail?"

Thanks for the reply. Could not find any log file. Good advice about writing down the lat/long, although it would not have helped in my case, since I was looking at the rocket, not the phone, and by the time I looked at the phone Rocket Track had lost the signal from the rocket. That's why a Show Last Reported Location or Tracking History feature is important. For sure after this I'll be using Rocket Locator instead of Rocket Track.

By "fail" I just mean that both trackers failed to show me the location or direction of the rocket. Both trackers were checked before launch and correctly showed the location of the rocket on the pad. I don't know if the T3 had some sort of mechanical failure or if it worked as it should and the issue is the inability of Rocket Track to show the tracking history. The other tracker (my usually reliable cellular) failed to detect the launch at all, it shows the rocket still on the pad.

If it showed rocket still on pad, something probably came loose on boost due to acelleration. Had that happen to me once.

If it showed rocket still on pad, something probably came loose on boost due to acelleration. Had that happen to me once.
This is a self-contained unit, no loose wires. In the past, this $30 unit has found my rockets better than far more expensive devices. I'm guessing some sort of network connectivity issue. When I first turned it on, I got a SIM card error message. I restarted and it seemed to be working OK. There is a four-bar signal at the field, so that wasn't the issue.
md 601 tracker.jpg

I've had issues with my T3 providing tracking data on ascent, particularly with anything over Mach, but also on some slower flights as well. It generally picks track back up after burnout but always after drogue. That being said, if you lost track at launch and never regained it, it's possible it either lost track (GPS receiver blocked by the rail) or it broke on the way up. How secure was your sled?

... by the time I looked at the phone Rocket Track had lost the signal from the rocket. That's why a Show Last Reported Location or Tracking History feature is important. For sure after this I'll be using Rocket Locator instead of Rocket Track.

Are you saying the Rocket Track console tab was blank and no lat/lon was shown on the map or compass tabs either? The NMEA sentences should still show on the console, but no longer scrolling, when the signal is lost. This is when I write the last coordinates on paper.

Rocket Locator and GPSBlue have their own quirks too, like losing the display if the phone happens to lock screen or you turn from portrait to landscape. I find Rocket Track to be the least of 3 evils. I will pay good money for a better Android app. The free ones are not robust.

This is a self-contained unit, no loose wires. In the past, this $30 unit has found my rockets better than far more expensive devices. I'm guessing some sort of network connectivity issue. When I first turned it on, I got a SIM card error message. I restarted and it seemed to be working OK. There is a four-bar signal at the field, so that wasn't the issue.
View attachment 417986

Have a link?

Are you saying the Rocket Track console tab was blank and no lat/lon was shown on the map or compass tabs either? The NMEA sentences should still show on the console, but no longer scrolling, when the signal is lost. This is when I write the last coordinates on paper.

Rocket Locator and GPSBlue have their own quirks too, like losing the display if the phone happens to lock screen or you turn from portrait to landscape. I find Rocket Track to be the least of 3 evils. I will pay good money for a better Android app. The free ones are not robust.
The console tab showed scrolling data when the rocket was on the pad but was blank when I looked at it, sometime after we lost sight of it. I was mainly looking at the Map tab, it's possible I restarted the app after noticing the rocket was no longer on the map. The Map tab still shows the map and has a blue dot with the location of my phone, but no rocket icon. The Compass tab shows a compass and the lat/long of my phone, but the top of the screen is blank for bearing, distance, etc.

100% agree that all 3 apps have issues and I would definitely pay for a better app. The lack of a robust app is the biggest issue with the T3.

I've had issues with my T3 providing tracking data on ascent, particularly with anything over Mach, but also on some slower flights as well. It generally picks track back up after burnout but always after drogue. That being said, if you lost track at launch and never regained it, it's possible it either lost track (GPS receiver blocked by the rail) or it broke on the way up. How secure was your sled?
Yes, it seems most trackers lose the track for a few seconds during ascent, but it typically comes back, as you say. I've seen a few cases where the track was lost due to a hard or water landing but the rocket was found based on pre-impact data from the tracker. I think the T3 was well secured but we will not know for sure unless the rocket is found.

Yes, it seems most trackers lose the track for a few seconds during ascent, but it typically comes back, as you say. I've seen a few cases where the track was lost due to a hard or water landing but the rocket was found based on pre-impact data from the tracker. I think the T3 was well secured but we will not know for sure unless the rocket is found.

I hope you can find your rocket. I'm partial to the T3...it guided me over 4 miles to my L3 project that ended up in a ditch below ground level and out of sight, and another timeit walked me straight to a min diameter 38mm rocket that lost track at until it landed it the complete opposite direction it took off in.

I hope you can find your rocket. I'm partial to the T3...it guided me over 4 miles to my L3 project that ended up in a ditch below ground level and out of sight, and another timeit walked me straight to a min diameter 38mm rocket that lost track at until it landed it the complete opposite direction it took off in.
Which app are you using? The T3 is great but, as Buckeye mentioned, the apps all have issues.

Which app are you using? The T3 is great but, as Buckeye mentioned, the apps all have issues.

Rocket Locator.

The night before I fly, I test tracking just to make sure everything works. I track again as soon as I get to the field to get the receiver tracking satellites in my arra. The last thing I do before I head to the LCO table is get track and I don't turn anything off until I recover my rocket. I turn screen lock off on my phone too. I have lost track a few times and had to go back out to my rocket to reset the app and get track again.

I'm honestly surprised Missileworks hasn't taken a more active role in tracking app development. It really is in their best interest to create a stable, reliable app for their product.

I'm honestly surprised Missileworks hasn't taken a more active role in tracking app development.
Fair point, but it doesn't help that app development is such a PITA and there are two competing platforms that require parallel development. I don't think there are any tracking vendors that support both Android and Apple well, for example.

For my homebrew GPS trackers I use a microprocessor with an LCD display in addition to an app -- that way if the app screws up I still have something to go on.

I use the combo T3 and RocketTrack as well. Rocket Locator would glitch and shut down when I tried to toggle the follow me, so I stopped using it.

In my experiences, the T3 will temporarily lose lock on high performance flights but it always regains while the rocket is on the way up. When I lose sight of my rocket I watch my phone screen to check position, altitude and ascent/decent rates.

The T3 will hold lock until shortly before the rocket lands. Range is great in the air (I've had rockets go 3 miles up, land 1.5 miles out) and RocketTrack will show its position and altitude all the way until it disappears below the horizon/hill/shrubbery.

As long as RocketTrack continues running it will show the last known position of the rocket. Once I get close enough, it will pick it up again and update its location.

If the screen times out or I accidentally hit the screen off button (this can happen if I'm bouncing around in a 4x4 or side-by-side), RocketTrack will restart and the last known position is lost. The T3 receiver has to reconnect to the phone via bluetooth, and when it does all the readouts come up blank. There's no back-up log that I've found. It's not a comforting feeling. The first time it happened we were close enough and had a general idea of the direction the rocket was in, we kept going until I received lock again and the app updated and took us to my rocket. This was still much better than having no tracker at all.

To overcome these issues I've done the following:
- Disable the screen timeout on my phone during launches
- I'll try to grab a screencap shortly after the tracker loses lock. This is problematic since it involves hitting the home and screen off buttons in combo. If that's not done right, the screen shuts off and I lose all location info.
- Use a backup tracker that doesn't rely on a phone and tricky app. RF Comspec for example. I like to use the Lynq tracker. https://lynqme.com/
- I keep meaning to write down the lat & lon before I head out to retrieve the rocket, but I never have. I've come to rely on the Lynq backup (it's easier to use while out for retrieval than the T3/phone app anyway)

Fair point, but it doesn't help that app development is such a PITA and there are two competing platforms that require parallel development. I don't think there are any tracking vendors that support both Android and Apple well, for example.

For my homebrew GPS trackers I use a microprocessor with an LCD display in addition to an app -- that way if the app screws up I still have something to go on.
It just seems like an odd business strategy to build and sell a GPS tracker but not the required software/app/interface.

I fly the AIM XTRA now on anything over 10,000' AGL and anything over Mach 1.5 and haven't had any issues yet.

It just seems like an odd business strategy to build and sell a GPS tracker but not the required software/app/interface.
I don't disagree. If I didn't have my own homebrew solution and used the T3, I would either make the app work better or make/buy a standalone display box. I thought Missileworks sold such a thing but I don't see it on their website, at least if the LCDT panel works with the T3 they don't say so.

Well, this probably explains why the T3 system is so inexpensive.

The T3 receiver can be Bluetoothed to a laptop com port for base station operation. Then, read the NMEA strings to a terminal or some other software like VisualGPS. Not very mobile, but this gives you a better chance of saving the data to file.

Rocket locator does have the "Last Position" recall, but it also allows you to save the track data to a file. If Rocket Track can/did save the track data to file, you should be able to pull the last position out of that.

Sadly, Rocket Track does not have any save feature (see above post from Exactimator), too bad I wasn't using Rocket Locator. How do we save the data on RL, just click Save path? Where to find the saved file?

Screenshot_Rocket Locator.jpg

If you got to Settings, you can "Enable log to file". Then go to My Files and look at documents. I have a new phone so don't have any flights saved so can't tell you the exact directory. It's been a while since I've used that.

Yes, thanks, I enabled log to file and found the txt log file. Does it save the file automatically or it is necessary to click Save path?

I don't remember.... It's been a while. Most of my tracked flights I was able to watch them land and didn't need the tracker. It's those anomalies that get you. Most of the time the tracker only speeds up recovery, it doesn't really enable it.

I'm not a programmer, is it difficult to make an app that does not shut down if another app is opened, if the phone goes to lock screen, etc? I know that the AltosDroid and Insane Rocketry apps do not have this issue, I can take photos with the phone camera and not lose the tracking.

Few questions:

Was this a first flight of the system?

Were you receiving streaming positions during any portion of the flight? If so, you should have seen a few on the map. When the rocket settles down under the main, position reception should be better. At 4k' altitude is your friend for propagation. If you got nothing after the main fired, something broke both trackers. That is if you had a well operating system. Was it a main at a low energy apogee or was it a main on ascent? If it was a low energy deployment then the following questions have relevance. If it was deployed under a high energy condition then the deceleration forces would come into play. You did say a main at 4k' so it sounds like a low energy deployment.

Did you do a ground range test? Set the rocket up transmitting in an open field and walk away from it with your receiver to see what range you get?

How were the trackers secured? Nose bay? Riding with the altimeters? Riding in a hardened container on the apogee harness?

Metallic painted rocket?

Were the trackers in a carbon fiber tube?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some responses:

Ground testing is very important to troubleshoot any potential problems. If not done satisfactorily, the failure causation is pure conjecture.

If the trackers broke loose, lost battery power or broke their antennas they aren't going to have any range if they are not working.

Metallic paint can attenuate Rf and lead to lousy range. That is frequency dependent. Some trackers one might get away with it, some not.
Ground test to find out. (Or avoid metallics on Rf bays as I learned to do!)

Carbon fiber tubes attenuate Rf. If the tubes are made out of that stuff, all bets are off and the tracker(s) should reside in a radiolucent non-metallic painted fiberglass nosecone.

I believe it all boils down to a good ground range test before flying to be certain the base setup is competent to fly. One may see positions streaming in on the pad but once in the air nothing is seen. Another trick with a new system/rocket is use a lower powered motor that you know is likely going to keep the rocket within visual range. If something goes awry, a visual recovery is assured and one gets a second chance to trouble shoot the system.

It remains Bill you had a backup tracker and had a failure of both. That is a really tough failure and sorry about your loss. I hate when that happens, especially
when it leaves one in a tough position trying to figure out what went wrong.

I've used a couple of instances of APRSISCE/32 to track rockets by feeding the raw NMEA strings through the base station GPS port. A second instance will keep track of my local GPS position for monitoring recovery to the recovery site. The second instance runs in the background and uses an internal network port to paint the local position on the rocket map. The advantage of the Ham software is bread crumbing of positions will be saved on the map. Every position gets its own "dot"and the lines connect the dots. One doesn't have to worry about writing down or finding the last position as it's always painted.

I had a small size, apogee only fiberglass rocket lawn dart with an Eggfinder in the nosecone. I saw two positions on the map. One the launchpad and one out in the field. I belatedly went to the position out in the field and there was the fincan sticking out of the ground. New nosecone, new EggFinder and it's flying fine now. BTW, I've made some of those mistakes I allude to above. Also, I still haven't found the perfect program to NMEA track rockets. In the Ham band the APRS trackers and APRS tracking programs work very well without any sleight of hand. All the best, Kurt Savegnago

I'm not a programmer, is it difficult to make an app that does not shut down if another app is opened, if the phone goes to lock screen, etc?
It's not that hard in principle, at least as far as the lock screen is concerned (everything is a PITA in Android development IMHO) but the programmer has to care enough to do it. All of the source for RocketTrack is on github.

Few questions:

Was this a first flight of the system?
Thanks, Kurt.
Was this a first flight of the system? No, used many times before.
Were you receiving streaming positions during any portion of the flight? Don't know, I was looking at the rocket and didn't look at the screen until it was too late.
Was it a main at a low energy apogee or was it a main on ascent? All was normal until ejection. I was using a Chute Release but it released the chute prematurely. Best guess is that the rubber band broke.
Did you do a ground range test? I did that a year ago when I first got the T3. It always worked before and I'd guess it probably worked this time, the issue is that I can't retrieve past data from the app.
No metallic paint, no carbon fiber. Both trackers were secured in the payload bay.

Several rockets were lost at this launch, it seems the upper air wind was stronger than what we felt on the ground. A search party is going out this weekend, maybe we'll get lucky. My rocket may have landed in water, though.

Latest posts

Back