Missile Works RRC@-Mini Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahpr

Reaction score
I know it's been out for a while, but I just picked up a MW RRC2-Mini and wanted to share a couple observations.

I've long been a fan of Missile Works altimeters. They're cheap, easy to use, and reliable. What more can you want? Leave it to Jim Amos to improve upon an already fine unit with the RRC2-Mini.

The first thing you notice is its small footprint - just 1" x 3.2". So small that zip-tie battery mounting on the back side of the board opposite the unit isn't possible due to interference, but that's a minor issue. Although the unit is small the screw terminals for squibs, battery and switch are not. They're fairly beefy compression terminals that should hold up to repeated use. It operates on 7-10v so a 9v battery works well, as would a 2s Lipo or Li-ion.

Although you can use the RRC2-Mini in a Basic Mode in which the user selects between 500' or 1000' main deployment altitudes, the real power of the unit is in the advanced mode where all the numerous flight, reporting and diagnostics options are available. To access these, you enter one of three sub-menus from the Start Menu via the push buttons.

- Setpoint Menu (flight options)
- Flight Log Menu (post-flight reporting options)
- Diagnostics Menu (useful for testing)

The setpoint menu contains the options for your intended flight such as main deploy altitude (300-3000' agl in 100' increments), mach delay (0-31 seconds), drogue & main delays (0-15 seconds), mode (dual, apogee only, main only), and an option called Operations Mode. The latter is a reporting function which can be set to beep out all or any combination of settings on the pad. Thankfully you can turn that off (unless you like hearing a lot of beeps). I programmed mine to activate only the Battery Alarm Lockout so the unit won't arm with a low battery.

Missileworks issued a recall for a firmware patch for some issues, check the web site for details. For your trouble they will include a rotary switch or credit for future purchases.

The comprehensive manual includes a static port calculator, wiring diagrams, battery and mounting considerations and general tips for success. $79.95, available directly from Missile Works or your MW dealer.

Mini.jpg

Yep, present and accounted for:) This one's programmed for my 1st ever hybrid flight at RG in a couple weeks. The push button programming took a few minutes foolin with to get comfortable, but as long as you have the manual in hand it's not a problem.

That you Jerry?

Yep...I got one.
Haven't flown it yet.

I'm a Huge! fan of the Missile Works RRC2 Mini, I must have 10 of them and never! have had a problem with them.

One was even submerged underwater for 2 hours, Got it our dried it off and 2 years later it still! works like a charm.

Thanks Jim.

Latest posts

Back