Missile Works Cyber Monday Sale (T-1 day)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting the shakes just reading about the RTX. One thing that I really like about modular systems is that one can purchase parts of the system at different times. This can be helpful for managing sticker shock with a spouse. Three charges of $150 are better received than one charge of $450. At least that is my experience!

Crazy Jim showed me the system at MWP... Very cool setup.

CJ showed this set up to me too Erik...
I was seriously impressed...
This is complete and takes care of everything you need in the rocket....

Teddy

I have to agree. I am eager to see how small folks get the AV bays with this system.

Figured I'd share this here... Lost one of the screws for the screw switch. Just fixed it today. Used a stainless 6-32, 3/8" screw. Put a locking nut on the back side so now I can unscrew till it stops, and I'll never again accidentally unscrew it completely in the av bay... Love those screw switches.

Great enhancement Eric, thanks for sharing this.

Ordered an RRC3, PET2+, LCD display, USB io assembly, and a screw switch. Goodies for Christmas this year!

Nate

Last edited:
Can the RTx be used to determine tilt of the rocket? Like to inhibit staging of a rocket?

Can someone tell me how they were able to pre-order the RX/TX GPS from the website?

Thanks, Ben

Hello All -

My sincere apologies regarding our Screw Switch pricing!
I forgot to apply the 50 cent discount last night.

This has now been corrected, so for anyone that ordered these PRIOR to this correction we'll manually credit your transaction.

Thanks again to everyone for your support!

Hello All -

My sincere apologies regarding our Screw Switch pricing!
I forgot to apply the 50 cent discount last night.

This has now been corrected, so for anyone that ordered these PRIOR to this correction we'll manually credit your transaction.

Thanks again to everyone for your support!

Maybe I'll go back and add these...

I preordered the RX/TX GPS systems also. Very exciting.

One question. Would there be an issue with an additional RRC3 riding along as a backup in the same AV-Bay?

One question. Would there be an issue with an additional RRC3 riding along as a backup in the same AV-Bay?

I don't see why there would be. I know a couple people who use two RRC3s for redundancy. It's a great flight computer and does exactly as advertised.

I don't see why there would be. I know a couple people who use two RRC3s for redundancy. It's a great flight computer and does exactly as advertised.

It wasn't so much having two RRC3s (all of my 4"+ rockets have that) but having one in close proximity to the 900Mhz unit w/o being hooked up to it. The same reason its not recommended having a BRB900 in the AV-bay with your altimeters.

Miles,

Jim Amos is very thorough. He would not be advertising putting these together if he thought there would be an issue. I discussed this with Jim about other transmitters in close proximity to the RRC3. He said that the RRC3 had been tested against all kinds of crazy transmissions with no issues. He does not believe that the RRC3 itself will be an issue. He recommended ground testing with ematches in place. Inducing a current in ematches is a potential variable that is different than the one causing the altimeter to fire. Jim can comment further when he is not so busy. I was very impressed with Jim's knowledge and testing around this exact question. For me, having discussed this with Jim previously, I feel confident in the two units being compatible.

We're currently shipping v1.54 in all RRC3 altimeters, and this does work with the RTx/GPS unit. It will not "need" to come back in, however if you did want to upgrade when the RTx/GPS system gets released you can send it in at that time for the upgrade. Specifically for RTx/GPS enhancements, v1.60 downlinks the altimeter battery voltage and also provides real-time reflective continuity and event status data. I'll be making the details available when the time comes, and I'm anticipating first production shipments in January.

The RTx/GPS will mount directly to the same holes as the RRC3 (when using the 3D printed GPS Brace). The 98mm RRC3 dual sled is pictured below and shows the optional GPS Brace mount. Alternative mounting is also possible if you purchase the RTx/GPS with a traditional flush mounted GPS module. While you can use 9V alkalines with the RTx system (runs ~1.5 hrs.), we're recommending 3.7V 750mAh LiPO batteries which will fit into the 9V battery holder (runs ~10 hrs.).

The RTx/GPS unit will also bolt onto any 54mm, 75mm, or single 98mm printed sled (when using the 3D printed GPS Brace) if you wanted to mount in a cone or stack 2 sleds together in an extended av-bay section.

I chose the alternative mounting of my GPS module and chose to have it flush mounted to the board so I wouldn't
need the 3D printed GPS Brace. You guys might want to think about how you plan on using/mounting your Tx units
and let Jim know how you want your GPS modules set up. Im probably going with mostly nose cone installations.

I chose the alternative mounting of my GPS module and chose to have it flush mounted to the board so I wouldn't
need the 3D printed GPS Brace. You guys might want to think about how you plan on using/mounting your Tx units
and let Jim know how you want your GPS modules set up. Im probably going with mostly nose cone installations.

I am working on those ideas also. How small of nosecone are you planning on? Do you think that the GPS could go into a 54 mm CTI nosecone? It might come down to how much room is required for the antenna.

I am working on those ideas also. How small of nosecone are you planning on? Do you think that the GPS could go into a 54 mm CTI nosecone? It might come down to how much room is required for the antenna.

I think it will fire nicely in one of those.

That is a really good question, Chuck. The RRC3 is just under 4 inches long, so how large is the board for the RTX including the gps?

Just finished up the dimensional drawing yesterday:

RTx Top Dimensions.jpg

The (4) hole mounting pattern is identical to the RRC3.

Also have a PDF drill template (print with no scaling):
View attachment RTx Drill Template.pdf

Is there a audio function for the telemetry data as it is being transmitted? That is, does it call out altitude, heading, velocity, ect?

It wasn't so much having two RRC3s (all of my 4"+ rockets have that) but having one in close proximity to the 900Mhz unit w/o being hooked up to it. The same reason its not recommended having a BRB900 in the AV-bay with your altimeters.

No interference issues when using the RRC3 and RTx/GPS in the same av-bay.
We've run the RRC3/RRC2+ with everything we could throw at them, including the 2 watt MURS radios used by the Astro dog collars.

Just finished up the dimensional drawing yesterday:

View attachment 277104

The (4) hole mounting pattern is identical to the RRC3.

Also have a PDF drill template (print with no scaling):
View attachment 277102

Funny that you post that just seconds after I finish drilling my sled for it. Once I realized the the mounting holes were the same as the RRC3 I went to town.

Hey Jim, I know you recommend the 3.7v 750mAh battery for the RTx, but since I have one lying around, would a 7.4v 1500 mAh battery be good to go with this system? I never set up any of my av-bays for 9v batteries, always for 7.4v 250mAh li-pos, so adding one of these beasts wouldn't be an issue for me.

Back