Missile comes within 100' of Airliner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanDunbar

Reaction score
Just thought I would pass this along; is this OLD news?:

https://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/090601_ufo_sightings_liberty_county

What bothers me is that this doesn't appear to be a High Powered Launch but maybe an actual terrorist attempt as the launch is at night. Opinion only.

Missile Possibly Launched in Liberty County

Regular Photo Size
Missile Possibly Launched in Liberty County

Updated: Monday, 01 Jun 2009, 10:36 PM CDT
Published : Monday, 01 Jun 2009, 10:36 PM CDT

HOUSTON - A missile may have just barely miss hitting a Continental Airlines flight on Friday.

Liberty County sheriff deputies are meeting with the FBI and FAA to discuss this incident.

Sheriff deputies say on Friday a missile may have been launched near Interstate 10 and mount Belview. A continental flight which had just taken off from Bush Intercontinental Airport may have been the target.

"If it was done deliberately, how much more dangerous can you get?" said Chief Deputy Ken DeFoor with the Liberty County Sheriff's Department. He went on to explain, "It was less than a hundred feet from the airplane itself, going underneath the cockpit of the airplane."

According to investigators, the aircraft was a small commuter plane with 25-29 passengers and about four crew members on board.

It was flying above 12,000 feet when just after 8 p.m., the pilot reported seeing what's being described as a missile.

Last edited:
Even most large HPR rockets are not going to be producing visible thrust at 12000 feet. If this is real, it defintiely sounds more like an attack :y::(

This was discussed and discussed and discussed to death months ago:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=3677

Take note this was the second time in two years for airline pilots to report seeing something missile-like, almost exactly one year apart.

And NAR president Trip Barber took this VERY seriously. Two reports at close to the same place and almost one year apart does not sound like a coincidence. Some people might ridicule and belittle it, but I know Trip Barber would not have become this concerned and taken the actions he did if he was not convinced this was for real (he is level-headed and makes sure of the facts before he acts).

Read it in full at the above link.

- George Gassaway

Thank you George ... I don't do the internet often like in years past so it takes months for me to catch up with what is going on.

I can pull the post if you guys feel it just takes up 'useful' bandwidth?

Jonathan

Nope it violates no rules and is a topic of interest to board members :)
Cheers
fred

Even most large HPR rockets are not going to be producing visible thrust at 12000 feet. If this is real, it defintiely sounds more like an attack :y::(

Please be aware that there is no report of this incident in the NTSB's incident report database. If there was anything to the story, the pilots would have filed a report of a near collision. Since they didn't file a report you have to either assume that they were negligent, or, more likely, that there was nothing to report.

-- Roger

Please be aware that there is no report of this incident in the NTSB's incident report database. If there was anything to the story, the pilots would have filed a report of a near collision. Since they didn't file a report you have to either assume that they were negligent, or, more likely, that there was nothing to report.

-- Roger
Not necessarily. If the incident was labeled a national security or terrorism event and the Patriot Act invoked, the individual(s) involved could be taken into custody and held indefinitely without being charged and the event never happened...

Not necessarily. If the incident was labeled a national security or terrorism event and the Patriot Act invoked, the individual(s) involved could be taken into custody and held indefinitely without being charged and the event never happened...

That's certainly a stretch. :)

Personally, I think Chuck Norris was playing with an Estes Air Power rocket and .....

-- Roger

Last edited:

Then eventually you could launch model rockets from the beautiful beaches that surround Bermuda and wouldn't cost you a dime!!:bangpan:

Tom :dark:

Back