Miss Riley Rocket Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone in our club is craiglisting an original 98mm fwiw... 245 bucks. sacramento.

Attachments

• 00i0i_2vUhTorvsti_1200x900.jpg
    00i0i_2vUhTorvsti_1200x900.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 215
Buddy, it appears the "Miss Riley" decal can be applied both ways from your two pictures of originals ... Which way is the "right" way?

It's all looking good!

I stole this from YORF... (Thanks, Steve)

I recently purchased a built version of Ky Michaelson's Rocketman Enterprises "Rocket Boy". Michaelson built the "Miss Riley" rockets used in the movie October Sky and for a short time afterward offered a kit of the rocket used in the movie, complete with turned aluminum nozzle.

Rocketman is no longer selling rocket kits but the original listing for the Rocket Boy can be seen here.

I was surprised in receiving the rocket that it did not say "Miss Riley" on the side but, instead, had a "Rocket Boy" graphic. In looking at the original listing and reading the EMRR review I came to understand the original kit did not include the "Miss Riley" lettering seen in the movie.

Since I plan to use the rocket for display I wanted to recreate the look of the rocket as seen in the movie. So I loaded up my DVD copy, skipped to the end and, much to my surprise, realized the only closeup scene of the rocket is actually a pan from the rocket top to bottom. The entire rocket is never seen in a single frame close enough to get a good look at the "Miss Riley".

So I did a bunch of screen captures and photoshopped all the pieces into what you see below. I also photoshopped out the actor playing Quentin who was hooking the igniters to the rocket (because the multiple screen captures turned him into a weird looking mosaic). For anyone else who wants a picture of the "Miss Riley" rocket as depicted in the movie October Sky, now you have one.

Enjoy,

Steve
The link to the original Rocketman listing is dead.

And I agree with Buddy, the decal does look better as depicted on the certificate. I know some of us want to be as authentic as possible to the movie, this photo should help.

Miss-Riley-Rocket.jpg

Hey, no spoiler alert? Its the end of the movie.
Ahh....dang. Yeah spoiler alert.
Everyone should know not to click a movie link if you haven't seen the movie. ;)
Either way, you're right. Again, my bad.

A jart? That is a blast from the past. That was a popular kit from the WM sale a few years ago. I do not see many fly today.

Nice to see sonny, er, Homer smiling while signing. He needs to write another book.

Check out these beautiful nozzles machined by SCP Precision whom is the one machining all 100 nozzles for this project. After many versions of deciding on the different proportions this is the one! Now it’s time to build the kit and possible do a build thread! Also it seems like I have around 90 people signed up, this will be a fast seller!

Attachments

• 75733490-26D4-4DB3-B803-D192BD7E1127.jpeg
    75733490-26D4-4DB3-B803-D192BD7E1127.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 09450EF5-F508-43F7-A572-FE0DB7D64B4C.jpeg
    09450EF5-F508-43F7-A572-FE0DB7D64B4C.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 4ADC7CF5-1835-4A2B-A881-976D1EAF33CA.jpeg
    4ADC7CF5-1835-4A2B-A881-976D1EAF33CA.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 233
Scott does great work! You've got a real winner here. I'm sorry now that I didn't order one. :(

My GOSH now I feel I can release some of the excitement I have about this project here. I have been chomping at the bit every day I read about this project but also didn't want to spoil any of Buddy's surprise when he announced about the nozzle. I am very proud to be a small part of this really cool project. Buddy congratulations on getting this project to the point it is at now, and in advance for where I see it going (a great success!). Good job man.

Ummmm......but wait a minute ------ did anyone else notice that nosecone in the background !!??!??!?!?? WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THATTTTTTTTT!!?????

And thank you @Bat-mite for the kind words.

Looking good Buddy!

Good to know Scott "The Man" of SCP Precision is producing the nozzles for the limited edition Miss Riley kits. Scott does fantastic machining to very close tolerances.

He made a beautiful one of a kind anodized 4.5" thrust ring for my L3 project early in the year that fits like none other. Now if I could get him back to finishing the design for his aluminum ElecBay bulkhead plates with integral charge wells to match .... hint hint Scott?

Seriously ... all good stuff by good people

My GOSH now I feel I can release some of the excitement I have about this project here. I have been chomping at the bit every day I read about this project but also didn't want to spoil any of Buddy's surprise when he announced about the nozzle. I am very proud to be a small part of this really cool project. Buddy congratulations on getting this project to the point it is at now, and in advance for where I see it going (a great success!). Good job man.

Ummmm......but wait a minute ------ did anyone else notice that nosecone in the background !!??!??!?!?? WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THATTTTTTTTT!!?????

And thank you @Bat-mite for the kind words.

Thank you Scott! It’s been an absolute pleasure working with you over these past few months on this fun project!

Also the nose cone is for a very big project shhhhh :) it’ll be a huge 25” by 30ft tall Rocket, all aluminum body, I’ll be needing a huge thrust plate for a huge motor!

the nose cone is for a very big project shhhhh :) it’ll be a huge 25” by 30ft tall Rocket, all aluminum body, I’ll be needing a huge thrust plate for a huge motor!

I'd love to be a part of that one holy cow! The largest custom so far was this fatboy at 16.5" so keep me posted!

Attachments

• 16_5 Super Fat Boy.JPG
    16_5 Super Fat Boy.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 117
@jmwoody mannnn I really have to get back to this and a number of projects that went by the wayside over the last few months!

Also the nose cone is for a very big project shhhhh :) it’ll be a huge 25” by 30ft tall Rocket, all aluminum body, I’ll be needing a huge thrust plate for a huge motor!

You had me at "big project". NAR rules require you to post a build thread for any project where the diameter is measured in "feet" instead of "inches".

NAR rules require you to post a build thread for any project where the diameter is measured in "feet" instead of "inches".
Never heard that before. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction to find this rule?

Back