Minors and reloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can a minor assemble a reloadable motor or does a adult mentor have to do it?

I don't see why not, if the minor is responsible and attentive.
I've seen and worked with boy scouts that are more dependable and predicable than many adults.
On the flip side, there are plenty of minors (and adults) whom I would not trust with a sharpened pencil, yet who are legally allowed to operate farm equipment and fire-arms in most jurisdictions.

CSPC limits reload sales to 18+
Some states have even stricter limits, down to D motors.

That's a CYA sales restriction, and has nothing to do with assembling the motors.

NAR underwrites Junior L1 program, and imposes higher standards on the participants than what it would take an adult to earn and L1:
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/formal-participation-procedure/
Logically, I see no additional challenge in following instructions to assemble a reloadable H-motor vs. a reloadable C/D motor.
If anything, the former is easier to execute and supervise due to the larger sizes of components.

As always - use your judgement!

YMMV,
a

Last edited:
In my experience, that rule really isn't enforced and I think is aimed at the younger individuals who are 12 or 13 who aren't really to be trusted with rocket motors. Obviously use your judgement and ask for help if you don't know what you are doing, but otherwise no one is going to hunt you down or anything because you assembled a reload. As said above, it for the mentor to decide, there are some individuals that aren't up to the task, so I think if you and your mentor are in agreement, you're in the clear

The section on Prohibited Activities in NFPA 1122 says this:
“5.1.(11). Purchasing or using by persons 17 years of age or younger of reloadable model rocket motors or motor reloading kits that do not meet the specifications of 16 CFR 1500.85(8) and (9), “Consumer Product Safety Commission Regulation.”

Here’s the link to the CPSC stuff:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/16/1500.85

Back