Minimum iPhone for a new installation of the Featherweight GPS Tracker app

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A customer alerted me to an unfortunate recent development. Apple's Testflight app, which we are using to distribute the Featherweight GPS Tracker App, recently was "upgraded" such that it will no longer be installed on devices that have less than iOS 13. The iPhone 6 only goes up to iOS 12.4. I am running a test iPhone 6 right now on iOS 12 that already had the older version of TestFlight installed, and it's still working, and so is the Featherweight app on that device. But for an iPhone 6 that doesn't already have TestFlight installed, you won't be able to install it to install the FIP, as far as I can tell.

So now the new minimum iPhone if you are getting a used phone to use as a dedicated rocketry tracker is the iPhone 6s, which can run the latest iOS, iOS14. These are available for about $120 on eBay. As always you don't need any cell phone data to use the phone as a tracker, just the bare device.

See the link below for the latest iOS version that is supported for each device.

https://iosref.com/ios
For the iPad, it's the Air 2 or the mini 4. For the ipod touch, it's the gen 7.

Just curious, why are you distributing via TestFlight rather than the app store? Are you still in beta?
Good question! I would like to add to that - what if something happened to Adrian or Kevin, say they just gave up rocketry and walked away? Not saying it is going to happen but what would happen after the 90 day beta version? Would we no longer be able to use the system?

I can see how maintaining two different platforms would be a pain. For the hardware integration, do you need access to things not available through a cross-platform framework such as Cordova?

A few of us have been complaining about this very matter in this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/featherweight-tracker-update-build-130.157402/post-2063588

I agree it is probably time for a real app store release and will be looking into it, but this "voice goes away with iOS X and returns with iOS Y" seems like a bad release of iOS as nothing was changed in iFIP for that release and the next iOS update "fixed" it.... And Apple does seem to still want us developers to keep "coming to the alter" regardless of release mode - as the 'dark mode' update required an app update to continue working properly (even if you didn't want to support dark mode).

Good question! I would like to add to that - what if something happened to Adrian or Kevin, say they just gave up rocketry and walked away? Not saying it is going to happen but what would happen after the 90 day beta version? Would we no longer be able to use the system?

Adrian and I aren't willingly (COVID?) leaving rocketry anytime soon. My wife and I both go to the local TRAPHX launches and she has been volunteered to possibly be Treasurer and I am starting to help with the equipment hauling and maybe more... They are our local rocketry tribe... :)

This last launch, we went out on Thursday and stayed camping until Wednesday. At the launch, I flew to 12k feet and 17k feet with Featherweight Tracking... that was on a pretty basic rocket with a K and an L and 3D printed Raven bay and Tracker bay... I also tracked other rockets with the 'Featherweight Community' feature we are working on.... We're in this pretty deep and enjoy it a *lot*!

But yes, we need a release that spans the 90 day version - but we will have an on going questions when future updates involve new features that require updated firmware and you order a new unit that contains the new firmware and want it to work with your old units with older firmware... do you want your old phone app to downgrade the new unit or suggest you upgrade your phone app to the new features... it isn't a simple answer...

I can see how maintaining two different platforms would be a pain. For the hardware integration, do you need access to things not available through a cross-platform framework such as Cordova?

If we go to dual support (iOS and Android), then I have to imagine we will need to use some cross platform solution - and that it will be a rewrite to support that. But one rewrite to support dual platforms is better than one rewrite and the still have to support independent
updates to both...

Just curious, why are you distributing via TestFlight rather than the app store? Are you still in beta?

We have still been doing frequent updates and it was easier that way as it didn't require Apple 'approval' for look and feel...

If we go to dual support (iOS and Android), then I have to imagine we will need to use some cross platform solution - and that it will be a rewrite to support that. But one rewrite to support dual platforms is better than one rewrite and the still have to support independent
updates to both...
Yeah, I used Cordova to implement the ThrustCurve app, but that didn't need any hardware support. I see there's a bluetooth plugin for Cordova, but I have no idea how well it works.

>>>----->

If there were an Android version available, this would not be an issue.

At least for now, Android still allows sideloading APKs without much hassle.

Zeke

Yeah, I used Cordova to implement the ThrustCurve app, but that didn't need any hardware support. I see there's a bluetooth plugin for Cordova, but I have no idea how well it works.

Yes, I need BlueTooth and phone location and phone orientation (magnetometer) and graphics... My experience with "cross platform" development platforms is you get 95% if you're lucky and then the rest sucks... but that was a long time ago, so I'm going to investigate a few - after we get an iOS only version out.

>>>----->

If there were an Android version available, this would not be an issue.

At least for now, Android still allows sideloading APKs without much hassle.

Zeke

I don't disagree - but we started with iPhone so that is where we are... :)

+1 for Cordova. We’re using BLE and location and it’s been great so far. Very easy to build and publish the same source for the iOS App Store and Google play.

+1 for Cordova. We’re using BLE and location and it’s been great so far. Very easy to build and publish the same source for the iOS App Store and Google play.

Thank you (and JohnC) for the advice! I think it might be time to do quick evaluation of a couple cross platform development packages and pick one.

I wonder what John Beans uses for his cross-platform development/publishing for AltimeterThree? His opinion would be another good one to get along with Russ Parrish's.

Having used both of their apps on both platforms in my role as the obsessive tester I can say that the differences in the respective apps, to me as a user, are more Android vs. iOS look and feel than variations in their actual apps. I do have to concede that doing this testing is pretty much the limit of my Android experience, so I'm far more comfortable in the iOS world in general.

Thank you (and JohnC) for the advice! I think it might be time to do quick evaluation of a couple cross platform development packages and pick one.
i haven't been here in a while because of work (I'm involved with the covid vaccine) but Ionic is an OK framework for cross platform apps. it's built on top of Cordova and Angular.

I'm looking at purchasing an iPhone for the GPS and I'm just curious if it would be better to purchase a newer version of the I-Phone instead of the "minimum" I phone 6s. Would it be better to get something like a 7 or 8 for future proofing?

Would it be better to get something like a 7 or 8 for future proofing?
IMHO yes, it would. It is possible/likely that the 6s will not be able to run IOS15 (it's the oldest model qualified to run IOS14, so its days are likely numbered.) The iPhone 7 was the first one with 64-bit CPU, so I tend to think it will get updates for a couple more years at least, although no guarantees.

Of course it is not *required* to always be running that latest OS, but that would be my preference.

An iPhone 6s will not be able to run IOS 15... neither will my beloved 1st Gen SE, which it was based on.

My wife still as a first generation SE in daily use. The battery is dying and the Lighting port is getting a little dodgy but she loves the size and so far has resisted getting anything newer to replace it.
An iPhone 6s will not be able to run IOS 15... neither will my beloved 1st Gen SE, which it was based on.

There is the iPhone 12 Mini, now. Same size as the SE, but with 12 guts.

That being said, I the Featherweight app sill runs without issue on an SE that I still have.

Last edited:
" I'm looking at purchasing an iPhone for the GPS and I'm just curious if it would be better to purchase a newer version of the I-Phone instead of the "minimum" I phone 6s. Would it be better to get something like a 7 or 8 for future proofing? "

I installed the Featherweight software on my iPhone6S and it ran fine.

I can say that my iPhone 4s (!!) no longer keeps up with the communications on the build that I am now testing. :-D

My iPhone 5c and iPhone 6 seem to work fine - but they have the older TestFlight installed so they continue to work (see Adrian's post that started this thread). My iPad mini (model A1490) continues to work, and my iPhone 8 Plus also works fine. I typically develop with the iPhone 8 Plus and iPad mini and then go back and test some other devices before a release. I may go back and get an iPhone 12 mini as there is something to be said for dropping a small phone in your pocket..

So the hardware on most of these models still work fine, but it is sad that Apple is making TestFlight the limiting factor. I will be working on getting it released as a real app now after this refresh that is about to go out.

Back