Minimum diameter rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, I ask why I would want to build a model to reach Mach 1. Could you show an image of your Models so I can get some details?
Some of us fancy ourselves amateur scientists rather than model builders.

I like both approaches. As long as youre having fun

one "bit" I remember hearing about a sub-dia rocket was that the upper portion (avbay, chute compartment, etc..) was smaller than the overall dia. Like the Estes Guardian or shaped like a rifle bullet (big case, small top / pointy part). Correct? No. But an interesting conclusion as to what 'sub-dia' might refer to..

(and I do "love" it when people show you a bullet - say a .50 cal, and people think the whole casing is a part of the bullet... thinking the brass part is also whistling thru the air after the 'bang'..)

As I show in the picture I posted earlier, the upper body tube is the same ID as the motor case and slightly smaller OD. The printed nose cones are .6.5 shoulder diameter and .675 OD to match the recovery tube. I roll these tubes on a 5/8" mandrel.

The Aspire and an F10 is a crazy combo. You should be able to swap the F10 for an H13 now too for a slow but really high flight. (2miles)

With regards to fins on a minimum dia. rocket.
If it is low or mid power you just glue the fins to the body tube and apply good fillets and most likely nothing will go wrong.
Now with high-power things get a bit more complicated and that's where my questions arise.
Would it not be possible, and perhaps it has and is being done, to slot the airframe and insert the fin-root into the slot using a motor tube wrapped in wax paper to keep it from poking through.
If the above is not a good idea, could the body tube be milled halfway through so as to provide a guide for fin alignment as well as a flat surface for the fin-root to glue to.

I used the slot part way through the tube method. Tack fin in place and fillet with 5 min epoxy. The strength comes from the multiple layers of fiberglass cloth in the fillets and laminating resin. The first picture shows a fin tacked in and the second shows 1 with glass in place and the other sand bagged as the epoxy cures. The third poc is the completer rocket flown in 1992 on a Vulcan O2200.
CB110 V3 Build 4.jpg CB110 V3 Build 6a.jpg CB110 V3 done 1.jpg

So, has anybody actually used those Aero-Pak Min. Dia. motor retainers?

And if so, how did the installation go and what method did you use?

Back