Minimum Diameter for NAR Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leica

Reaction score
I wonder if it might be a good time to introduce an 18mm minimum diameter for SD, PD, Altitude, and scale altitude models. The FIA has a 40mm minimum for Senior Flyers. I think the 40mm models look like the Graf Zeppelin, but I also know that tracking 10.5 and 13mm models is a real pain. Now that we have no high performance contest motors it might be a good time to make a change.

Leica

leica:
I think requring minimal diameters ala FAI would hurt more than help NAR competition .. They were only instituted in FAI competition because the motors got so small (10.5mm) and were going so high they couldn't bee seen at all..... I woud have preferred that they make 13 or 18mm engines the minimum and left the body diameters and lengths alone myself....

Yes tracking 13mm or for that matter 18/24 mm diameter models can be a pain but thats why you should use a generous amount of tracking powder .....after I have the parachute inserted, I add a 1/8" foam disk to lay on top and then add a few grams of bright rocket red flourescent dye....it makes a really nice "plume cloud" so that the trackers can see it.....in most NAR competition, you track to ejection and not apogee anyway....

shockie B)

Back