Minimum diameter camera ideas…

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Williamhimka

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have a 54mm minimum diameter project i’m gonna take on in the near future…
I’m without a doubt breaking the 25,000’ (if not 30,000’+ ) mark and would absolutely love to have some kinda onboard footage.
Weight needs to be in consideration as well.

If anyone has a 3d printed model of what they have used inside a 54mm project, please let me know.

The rocket itself Wildman Mach 2 if that helps.

I’m looking for good quality footage.
I might not be able to get 4K, but i’ll take what i can get.
Please give me ideas or thoughts.

William

Hey everyone,

So I have a 54mm minimum diameter project i’m gonna take on in the near future…
I’m without a doubt breaking the 25,000’ (if not 30,000’+ ) mark and would absolutely love to have some kinda onboard footage.
Weight needs to be in consideration as well.

If anyone has a 3d printed model of what they have used inside a 54mm project, please let me know.

The rocket itself Wildman Mach 2 if that helps.

I’m looking for good quality footage.
I might not be able to get 4K, but i’ll take what i can get.
Please give me ideas or thoughts.

William
I've flown a Mach 2 on an CTI L-935IM right under 24K. How do you plan to get north of 25K? Two stage?

FYI, 20K is not a trivial effort, and 30K is a larger bite. What minimum diameter experience do you have to date?

I've flown a Mach 2 on an CTI L-935IM right under 24K. How do you plan to get north of 25K? Two stage?

FYI, 20K is not a trivial effort, and 30K is a larger bite. What minimum diameter experience do you have to date?
The L935 seems to be a common mach 2 “go to” motor….I was gonna stuff a loki L1040 in there to exceed the 25k mark. It has a little over 645 added Ns compared to the L935 load.
I’m going off my rocsim and other peoples flights and not really my past experience which is a big fat 0 when it comes to minimum diameter projects.
Maybe i’m over estimating when i say 30k…
Guess there’s only one way to find out…

The L935 seems to be a common mach 2 “go to” motor….I was gonna stuff a loki L1040 in there to exceed the 25k mark. It has a little over 645 added Ns compared to the L935 load.
I’m going off my rocsim and other peoples flights and not really my past experience which is a big fat 0 when it comes to minimum diameter projects.
A great way to find out could be to run a mass simulator up on, say, a j270 and then a k535. Wouldn't you hate to lose a decent camera, altimeters, and motor casing that way? Just my $0.02

For ideas, here is the Av Bay of Perseus, a 54mm MD bird. It flew on Nov. 12 on a CTI K660. The camera is a Caddx baby turtle v2.

Footage can be viewed here https://www.facebook.com/stratosngo

Attachments

• 20220826_072647.jpg
    20220826_072647.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220826_072701.jpg
    20220826_072701.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220826_072712.jpg
    20220826_072712.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 280153713_1030628414499804_3818613753360257709_n.jpg
    280153713_1030628414499804_3818613753360257709_n.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1
For ideas, here is the Av Bay of Perseus, a 54mm MD bird. It flew on Nov. 12 on a CTI K660. The camera is a Caddx baby turtle v2.

Footage can be viewed here https://www.facebook.com/stratosngo
Nice setup!
You probably have that close to your heart, but i’d be willing to purchase that off you if you gave me a price…
Let me know your thoughts.
No worries if you don’t want too!

Will,

Here is the camera that I use in my really small birds. Its not perfect, but for the price, I argue if it can be beat.

It is made by essentially one company in China but is sold under a number of brands.

Just google SQ11 mini camera and you will find it.

Here is a video that I took earlier this year. Not bad for <$20

I have not designed a mount or anything for it. In this video, it is literally taped to the side of the Apache sustainer with Gorilla tape. Don't laugh, its simple and it works! 🙃

Will,

Here is the camera that I use in my really small birds. Its not perfect, but for the price, I argue if it can be beat.

It is made by essentially one company in China but is sold under a number of brands.

Just google SQ11 mini camera and you will find it.

Here is a video that I took earlier this year. Not bad for <$20

I have not designed a mount or anything for it. In this video, it is literally taped to the side of the Apache sustainer with Gorilla tape. Don't laugh, its simple and it works! 🙃

I’ll be sure to check that out.
Did you ever find the motor that popped out the back on the sustainer?
Honestly i’m impressed with the footage that little guy can capture…
Thanks for the info!

I’ll be sure to check that out.
Did you ever find the motor that popped out the back on the sustainer?
Honestly i’m impressed with the footage that little guy can capture…
Thanks for the info!

Yep!!

Adrian @jd2cylman found it within 10min as he was conducting a sweep of the concrete rubble pile that can be seen in the video. I am really grateful for that as that was one of my first Monster Motors piece of hardware and is not replaceable.

I think the Loki is too long. I got 28.6k out of my CF Mach 2 with an L935 (estimate was 31k). It's tough enough fitting the 935. I added a second switch band for another inch of drogue room (drogue is just a streamer) and my min-dia retainer is just a bulkhead with a machine screw epoxied into it to save even more space.

But to keep this OT, I appreciate the camera model mentions. I will look them up!

Back