Minimum Diameter 3" design/build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Conway Stevens

Tacos For 10
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
To get the fin can to mount up to the booster tube the booster Tube had to have slots cut. It wss either that or shave the fin tips on the underside so the tube would slide down i went with slot the tube slightly.

Also glued the booster zippereless coupler in place or booster/motor retention. As well as attachment point for the harness. The upper bulk plate is aluminum. Will secure a 3/8 threaded rod to the upper closure of the motor.

Pictures to come of more parts and work.

Attachments

Zeke Johnson

Reaction score
Ive used them for probably the last 20 plus years. I get the low profile ones. They tend to install flush. Or with a little filing... use them to screw rail buttons in, mount Av bays and parts. Or to keep whatever im looking to together. Strong, light, reusable.
Could you provide a part number, or a link to the specific Avdel rivet nuts that you use? I found their Web Site, but there are quite a few variations to choose from.

Thank you,
Zeke

Tractionengines

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Attached is a PDF and a screen shot from McMasterCarr for the ones we use at work, and I will be using going forward. The DKS has splines give more torque ability, and the small flange is almost non existent if you deburr the mounting hole. BUT they roll a bead on the back and project more. The "low profile" type have a inner part that pulls into the sleeve expaning it. The are lower profile, but not quite as much torque ability. (That is not a big deal for where we will use them.) I cant find a data sheet but the screen shot will let you see it. (These low profile ones match what are in his photos.)
Screenshot_20210228-152849_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

Conway Stevens

Tacos For 10
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Could you provide a part number, or a link to the specific Avdel rivet nuts that you use? I found their Web Site, but there are quite a few variations to choose from.

Thank you,
Zeke

Zeke The ones i use are for thin sheet applications or considerd counter sunk head. They are the low profile SAE thread type like the ones that Tractionengines posted on. I get mine locally at a specialized fastener store.