Minimum diameter 29mm rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midpower? Cluster? Both?

• Should BoRocks produce a mid power bird?

• Stick with the 24mm clusters.

• I want more low power!

• Should BoRocks produce a mid power bird?

• Stick with the 24mm clusters.

• I want more low power!

Results are only viewable after voting.

RocketboyG80

Reaction score
I wanted to see what the current demand for minimum diameter 29mm rockets is. In particular ones built for speed not necessarily altitude. I noticed there are not many on the market designed for speed. Also, the fins would be triangular, similar to the old RV Mach Buster except stretched out more (4" root/1.5" height).

I did some calculations and the fiberglass rocket would cost about $55.00 and the phenolic one would cost $35.00. This would include shipping of the parts to me and the labor of cutting things to size and whatnot. Shipping would be added on to this. Plus the cost of a motor. Breaking the sound barrier isn't cheap.

When I first got into high power and found out about the bigger motors, I designed my Cloudbuster series. These are minimum diameter rockets designed around the longest (at the time) available motor.

I've built and flown them in the following sizes:
10.5 mm Apogee B2
13 mm EX D40
18 mm Aerotech F55
24 mm Aerotech G55
29 mm Aerotech H125
38 mm Aerotech I132
54 mm Vulcan L750
110 mm Vulcan O3000
152 mm EX P9000

Here's a pic of the O3000 powered one flown in 1992.

Forgot to mention one other possibility. Would anyone be interested in a 29mm by 36" inch rocket with a Carbon Fiber tubing and a Fiberglass nosecone? Otherwise it would be the same as the one designed for G80s, H238s, H220s. The price would be $79. :eek: Please reply if you would be interested in this, as I can't add it to the poll.

Why not just jump ahead and do a 38mm min diameter, that way you could use an ACME one piece fin can and take full advantage of the min diameter design without losing any strength, this way with a glass or carbon fiber tube and glass nosecone you'd have a tough as nails design that could handle any engine you put in it, people could do thier L1, L2 certs with this rocket and put thier nerves at ease knowing that they didn't put a week into building it, and even if it does crash it will most likely survive the crash without damage.

Back