Minie Magg on a G76?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBurg

Reaction score
Hi Folks–
First time poster but long time follower of TRF. I’m completing my first HPR build – Minie Magg, and planning on going for Level 1 Certification at the next Tripoli launch on August 13th.

This was my first time epoxy build, and I tried to build it light, but the total weight of the rocket (including loaded engine) is coming in around 4#. I’d like to give this a try out before I go for my certification flight but feeling mixed on it’s performance with a G76-4 engine.

Open Rocket predicts about a 400 foot launch and 30mph at the end of the rod, so it looks safe, at least on the computer. I know it’s not quite at the 5x impulse range for average thrust, but the G76 has a pretty strong initial push that looks like it should be ok.

Has anyone flown a Mini Magg at the 4# range with a G76? I’ve seen some successful flights logged at the 3.3# range, but nothing that heavy. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance – this forum has been a great learning tool for me.
Eric

Stability in this case would depend on the wind.. anything more than calm would cause issues. Personally if it were me, I'd try something with a little more punch, like a G138WT CTI load.

Hi Folks–
First time poster but long time follower of TRF. I’m completing my first HPR build – Minie Magg, and planning on going for Level 1 Certification at the next Tripoli launch on August 13th.

This was my first time epoxy build, and I tried to build it light, but the total weight of the rocket (including loaded engine) is coming in around 4#. I’d like to give this a try out before I go for my certification flight but feeling mixed on it’s performance with a G76-4 engine.

Open Rocket predicts about a 400 foot launch and 30mph at the end of the rod, so it looks safe, at least on the computer. I know it’s not quite at the 5x impulse range for average thrust, but the G76 has a pretty strong initial push that looks like it should be ok.

Has anyone flown a Mini Magg at the 4# range with a G76? I’ve seen some successful flights logged at the 3.3# range, but nothing that heavy. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance – this forum has been a great learning tool for me.
Eric

My experience has been that 4# rockets are marginal for motor deploy (@ 500' aapogee) as a 4 second delay is about a second or so too long for comfort and if you get a "Bonus delay" then you also get a broken rocket. In my case I use electronic deployment for rockets of that weight and altitude. A G76G has an initial thrust of 196 newtons which is a 11.1:1 T:W ratio. If using OpenRocket doublecheck the length of the launch rod/rail in the simulation settings and set it to match the actual rail or rad that will be used.

Don't do it. As you are new like you said, there is a term called "it mini-magged". Guys have gotten better, but (no lie), almost 85% of all minimagg flights I have witnessed veer off sharply one way or t'other upon leaving the rod /rail. Hence the term "mini-magged". Good luck, be safe. I would choose a G138.

^ pretty much whut everybody else says. look up Thrustcurve.org and put your stats in there. You'll see this is a pretty iffy combo.

I've done a 3.3 pounder on a G76. any more is really pushing it... At 4 pounds that's a solid L1 bird.

8195821001_3dbc9718b9_c.jpg

Found this video of a Minie-Magg on a G76. Looks a little too slow leaving the rail for a Minie-Magg. I would use a faster burning G motor.

[video=youtube;AvTzM94YCwQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTzM94YCwQ[/video]

Thanks everybody - I'll hold off and fly this one on the H128 I was originally planning on certifying with. I'll have to build another rocket to use the G76's with.....

Good choice- better to play it safe than have the rocket fly squirrelly and end up wrecking your L1 before it even started!

If it is stock weight, it will fly on a G76-4. Don't try it if the wind is over 5 mph.

Don't do it. As you are new like you said, there is a term called "it mini-magged". Guys have gotten better, but (no lie), almost 85% of all minimagg flights I have witnessed veer off sharply one way or t'other upon leaving the rod /rail. Hence the term "mini-magged". Good luck, be safe. I would choose a G138.

Agreed. I have two Minie Maggs, and most flights were squirrely. I made many mods with rail buttons, noseweight, ebays in the nose cone, and higher thrust motors which helped some. Never understood why this kit is so popular - it needs a lot of TLC.

I suggest an H242 as your cert flight.

because it's huge and cheap, and built stock, it flies just fine ;) pro tip: use wood glue.

I love mine but it won't ever be flown on a G. Mine flies great but it does a have a mind of it's own from time to time. Hugely entertaining and a lot of fun to fly....on an H or I.

Latest posts

Back