Minie Magg 5.5 build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weights are almost always way off, most builders build rockets heavier than the "display model" also there is no standard configuration for measuring the advertised weights.

Well that's true but when they advertise a rocket as 40oz, and the dry parts weigh 53oz, you can argue about if they should use 53, or 53 plus a build factor and if that should be a light or heavy build... but it definitely shouldn't be 40! If you missed it above, that's the case for the Minie Magg right now.

They should be able to weigh the parts and publish that weight accurately. Some variation in the final build weight is inevitable, but they know what goes in the box and can weigh that. Usually it’s not a huge deal, but in this case, the advertised weight of 40 ounces is a Class 1 rocket you can fly without a waiver, but if the parts alone actually weigh 53 ounces, it’s definitely NOT a Class 1 rocket, and you definitely WILL need a waiver to fly it. So that’s kind of a big deal. And if you are hoping to use it for L1 and fly it a couple of times on a G before your cert flight, I’m not sure that’s going to work out very well.

Well that's true but when they advertise a rocket as 40oz, and the dry parts weigh 53oz, you can argue about if they should use 53, or 53 plus a build factor and if that should be a light or heavy build... but it definitely shouldn't be 40! If you missed it above, that's the case for the Minie Magg right now.
Thats definitely an issue.

I totally hear what everyone is saying and I agree alittle extra care before the package is shipped to the customer would be a good thing And the weight being off a lot is frustrating lol
As for now iam happy they are cool dudes at loc and ultimately make it right and for the sake of my build iam happy with the quality and look so far the goal is to start her on a H motor and increase to an I if all goes comfortably
Stay tune for more build updates

Yeah, despite my ranting, I like their rockets, and I like the LOC guys. I have a Warlock, which is super fun. I have a custom “Comet” rocket that I worked closely with Jay to design and required custom fins and centering rings and a custom slotted boat tail. And I have 3 unbuilt LOC kits in my build pile —Minie Magg, LOC IV, and a T-Loc. So my gripes are offered in the spirit of constructive criticism. There’s always room for improvement!

I hope the replacement parts come soon, and we can see more of the build.

Yeah, despite my ranting, I like their rockets, and I like the LOC guys. I have a Warlock, which is super fun. I have a custom “Comet” rocket that I worked closely with Jay to design and required custom fins and centering rings and a custom slotted boat tail. And I have 3 unbuilt LOC kits in my build pile —Minie Magg, LOC IV, and a T-Loc. So my gripes are offered in the spirit of constructive criticism. There’s always room for improvement!

I hope the replacement parts come soon, and we can see more of the build.
+1, most of my rockets when not Loc kits are Loc parts, a few are MadCow and SBR but the majority of HPR stuff I have is LOC descended.

I would guess the MM gained weight when they went to fin tabs that go to the MMT.

I would guess the MM gained weight when they went to fin tabs that go to the MMT.

I imagine that's a good chunk of it, and just generally swapping out a part here and a part there for something more robust.

Ok so the build is back on and this looks much better lol fins,rings eye bolt and T-nut all epoxied in
Loc gives the option of assembling the fins and rings first so you can epoxy everything for hopefully a stronger set up (yep alittle more weight too) and then cut a slit Down to the bottom aft of the body tube where the TTW cuts are and when epoxy is cured slide the whole fin can in through the “through the wall body slots and up the tube sounds good will see how that step goes lolView attachment 425121

Building the fin can outside, and then inserting per the LOC instructions worked great on my 4” Phoenix. Seems very robust.

Attachments

• 7EFA38D9-2B63-4F38-9431-0C1A1B2A0AA6.jpeg
    7EFA38D9-2B63-4F38-9431-0C1A1B2A0AA6.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 0289F592-FFD9-4A0E-A168-E9D7595DEC42.jpeg
    0289F592-FFD9-4A0E-A168-E9D7595DEC42.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 39
I've built a few LOC kits without the outside the fin can method and it's easy and it does work. On the other hand the "leave off the aft centering ring" method gives you internal fillets between the fins and the body tube which gives you pull out strength. But with this fin/centering ring design you would have to be extra careful with the build to get it to work - getting the fins perfectly into the notches in the aft ring in particular might be a bit exciting.

Building the fin can outside, and then inserting per the LOC instructions worked great on my 4” Phoenix. Seems very robust.

Good to hear I was alittle hesitant doing it this way but it made sense so I went for it
Going to let the epoxy set for the nite then try getting the fin can in

I'd do a dry run before you epoxy. The thick tubing is kind of hard to wrangle. But when everything snaps into place it's very satisfying.

Most of my fleet is LOC based. Half the weight of a fiberglass rocket of the same size, and perfect for sport flying. I also love long burn motors and rockets like the EZI-65 are perfect for this. If you are going to put an M in a 4" rocket, then you do need fiberglass :)

Good to hear I was alittle hesitant doing it this way but it made sense so I went for it
Going to let the epoxy set for the nite then try getting the fin can in

I almost always built the fin can outside of the body tube then slide it in. I even used with method on my Level 3 rocket a Performance Rocketry Competitor and it handled both the M1315W and M1850W without a problem.

I almost always built the fin can outside of the body tube then slide it in. I even used with method on my Level 3 rocket a Performance Rocketry Competitor and it handled both the M1315W and M1850W without a problem.

Excellent

I cut one slit on the outer edge of each fin slot still seems like it will be a tight fit I assume I will have to flex the body tube alittle where I made the cut correct ?

Yes, it will have to flex some. Yours being shorter and 3 fins should be a bit easier than the Phoenix, I'd think, though. I used several #64 rubber bands to hold the body tube in place when epoxying.

Attachments

• IMG_8185[1].JPG
    IMG_8185[1].JPG
    358.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8187[1].JPG
    IMG_8187[1].JPG
    337 KB · Views: 11
Yes, it will have to flex some. Yours being shorter and 3 fins should be a bit easier than the Phoenix, I'd think, though. I used several #64 rubber bands to hold the body tube in place when epoxying.
So attempting this now it’s pretty tight lol
Would you say one cut in each slit is enough or should I cut the other side removing a small piece of the tube ?0182B7BE-B271-43C6-BDEB-9C67F551EBBA.jpeg

I always just cut the slit right down the middle of the slot and yeah you have to kind of manhandle everything a bit. That tube wants to snap right back into position.

I always just cut the slit right down the middle of the slot and yeah you have to kind of manhandle everything a bit. That tube wants to snap right back into position.

Hmmm ok I will see how it goes again defiantly didn’t want to move to much but I will help force it along lol

Glad to hear LOC took care of you. I am on my third LOC kit in the last 3/4 months. I had messaged them on FB at 11pm on a Friday night one night thinking I woudnt hear back to the following week. Someone responded at 3am that night and got the parts I needed right out to me. I was impressed. I have honestly had great service from every company I have reached out to since getting back into Rockets. Not one complaint so far and many of them going above and beyond what I would be expect to be honest. Not the same in other hobbies in my experience.

Glad to hear LOC took care of you. I am on my third LOC kit in the last 3/4 months. I had messaged them on FB at 11pm on a Friday night one night thinking I woudnt hear back to the following week. Someone responded at 3am that night and got the parts I needed right out to me. I was impressed. I have honestly had great service from every company I have reached out to since getting back into Rockets. Not one complaint so far and many of them going above and beyond what I would be expect to be honest. Not the same in other hobbies in my experience.

very true good customer service goes a long way lol 👍🏻

That's how I started mine, was the slit down the middle. I think I like the side slit better, though. You also might try getting an extra pair of hands in there to help. SWMBO helped with mine, and it slid on fairly straight forward. Caveat: I DID have to swear a time or two to make it work, so it's not like eeeezy-peeezy.

Ok so the fin can is now in lol defiantly had to wrestle with it for 5 mins but she is in
now time to epoxy forward ring to the BT and aft ring to the BT and epoxy fillet the fin joints to the BT outside and will be in good shape

Attachments

• 90C303FF-5E8F-4491-8B4C-1C6C05A39C9D.jpeg
    90C303FF-5E8F-4491-8B4C-1C6C05A39C9D.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 4A0C48FB-C954-45BC-99E0-55494B4B8D56.jpeg
    4A0C48FB-C954-45BC-99E0-55494B4B8D56.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 27
That's how I started mine, was the slit down the middle. I think I like the side slit better, though. You also might try getting an extra pair of hands in there to help. SWMBO helped with mine, and it slid on fairly straight forward. Caveat: I DID have to swear a time or two to make it work, so it's not like eeeezy-peeezy.
Lol few choice words were said during the process lol

thanks for the tips on figuring this out lol

Glad you got it in there!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks 👍🏻 Just finished the forward ring epoxy so locked in now lol

Back