Miniature Thunder Bird

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Well, I designed a huge 6" diameter 30 pound (loaded) behemoth (which was great fun to design, btw), but quickly realized that it would proabably be frowned upon because it would be using L2 motors in all 3 motor mounts if I were to fly it to its fullest capability, and I havnt even come close to aproaching that kind of power... So I decided a BT70 version would be more economical (the origional would be about $400), and keep me on better terms with the anti jr hpr people round here ;) A central 24MM out 13MM outboards will fit in a BT70... I need 36" of tubing, and I dont know if Estes carries it anymore. Does Fliskits? If so, what lenth (im too lazy to go find out)? While were on Fliskits, do you sell a cluster mount for that motor combination? Im working on a rsim for this model, but it keeps crashing on me (this computer is more cursed than the Red Sox were last year. Stupid things almost as old as I am! grr...), so its back to the beginning.

Im gonna go turn in now, but if anyone knows if I can get a motor mount and 36 inches of BT70 (and couplers for it, if neccesary), it would be most apreciated.

Thanks in advance

(and no comments about me rarely posting in the LPR forum anymore! ;) :p)

Originally posted by Neil
(and no comments about me rarely posting in the LPR forum anymore! ;) :p)

OK, I won't ;)

Fliskits carries BT-70 in 17.5" lengths so it would be 35" with a coupler.

Totally Tubular and BMS carry it in 34" lengths.

Jim Flis has a MMT with a 24mm center tube surrounded by four 13mm tubes. I think that's what you were looking for.

Four 13MM is good enough. The origional had two 38MMs around a central 54, just because I couldent afford four 38MM reload cases ;) It wont be a perfect downscale with four outboards, but hey. A little extra thrust never hurt no-one ;) I guess ill be getting another Fliskits order out soon... :)

I do like fliskits... :D if only they took credit cards... Any plans for that soon, Jim? I hate mail-in ordering, and my parents hate paypal...

Neil,

It is my hope that we will have something in place by spring time. Just too many things to work on and not enough time or people ...

Originally posted by BobH48
OK, I won't ;)

Fliskits carries BT-70 in 17.5" lengths so it would be 35" with a coupler.

Totally Tubular and BMS carry it in 34" lengths.

Jim Flis has a MMT with a 24mm center tube surrounded by four 13mm tubes. I think that's what you were looking for.

Yea, ditto what Bob said :)

BT-70-175 (2 for $4.75)
CPL-70-04 ($1.25 each)
EMK5-124-413-70 ($5.95)

let me know :)

jim

You're going to need a nose cone also, Neil! Unless you're going to turn one on your lathe (how's that coming, BTW?), you could get the Fliskits BNC-70AJ ($4.25) or the longer Apogee Rockets plastic cone, which is about $12. If you're looking for a mid-way kinda cone, not short and not long, you could get the BNC-70AJ and add a paper cap - would be kinda like the AIM-54 Phoenix cone (true scale), and you'd learn another technique.

Or you could always e-mail sandman! :D

Jason

Ill be turning my own. They are turning out great, btw. Im working on a balsa Fatboy cone right now (practice), but I might turn it into a cone for this rocket. We got a grinding wheel which works great for sharpening tools. I turned a real nice cone out of poplar (if I do say so m'self :D) for my dad's L2, but we have to hollow it out a bit. We were workin on it in the garage, and it was just barely started when my mom called us in for dinner. I wasnt hungry, so my dad said I could keep working on it... It was done within an hour! I think I did a pretty good job on it... After that, a balsa cone this size shouldent be too hard... Ive also made a few 3" cones out of cedar and pine. I dont think ill ever be short on cones again! :D

I sent you an email about it, Jim. Nice auto-response, btw :D How do you do that?:confused:

Originally posted by Neil

I sent you an email about it, Jim. Nice auto-response, btw :D How do you do that?:confused:

well... I go to my web service control pannel and under "mail manager" I select "auto response" and enter the text... :)

Sorry I couldn't help you out with this weekends launch...

Back