Mini-Skydart

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyd

Old Rocketeer
Reaction score
Thanks to Sandmans Inspiration with the quad kits, I started on a Mini-Skydart. The first picture is under the Mini-Constellation Thread, Here are the next two.
Number 1

I always liked the Skydart, very gracefull design
great job on the mini..!!

Very nice!!

gonna kit it???

Hey...that's the first thing you guys ask me!

sandman

Mikeyd:
Good Job! I'm with stymye..always liked the style of this one...I did a 10.5mm micro-maxx version, but made a few unfortunate material decisions that make the little bugger tip the scales at 20.6g LOWt. so I can only fly her chad staged with an A2-0 10.5mm booster:) worked but made a bit of a mess of the rear end. I may have to try again with different materials.

Originally posted by sandman
Very nice!!

gonna kit it???

Hey...that's the first thing you guys ask me!

sandman
:D Sandman, sorry it would not help for me to kit it, I would just have to come to you for the Cones, JimZ for the decals, Jim Flis for the tubes, etc... :p I just do not have you level of patience, commitment, and follow through, altho that does not mean I should not be committed!

Happy Flying, and many safe returns in the coming New Year!

It is sad though I get all these new kits, and what do I work on? A mini clone, an original Balsa nosed Estes Mercury Redstone, and a crayon conversion. My unbuilt kits, just seem to keep growing! https://members.cox.net/shortckt4/OurRocketKits.htm

OK, Now I have a question for the group. The Mini-Skydart will be glide recovery, of course. The question is,
1.do I build it with a BT-5 "pop-pod", or
2.make it more like the Free Flight Hobby Labs SR-71.
1.With the pop pod the lift off weight is higher, but it is hard to fit a chute for the pod, probably use a streamer, which is rougher on the pod. This is the simpiler, tried and true method.
2.With the spring loaded motor mount during boost it "pulls" the elevon down, then springs back up when the motor burns out. This is lighter for liftoff weight, but heavier for glide. It would use the new A10-PT motors. Balance, especially during boost would be more critical, and the setup for actuation need to be designed, but once built, it sure makes prep a lot easier. Just need some input here guys, what do you think?

Personally, for years all boost-gliders just ejected the motor.

A BP spent motor casing is just rolled paper and some clay...all biodegradable.

The only drawback to kicking the motor is that you can't use it for competition...yea..so...???

No offence, nice model but she is no endurance winner but who cares anyway?

I'm not sure about kicking the motor out...is it just for competition or just at ALL NAR events?

I flew my Astron Space Plane clone 3 times at NARAM 45 and nobody said anything to me.

I say...Kick the motor out! Forget all the other stuff.

sandman

Thanks, Sandman. It was not about just kicking the motor, but about building it as the original with a motor pod that had weight at the front to move the cg forward for launch, then ejected, carrying the motor, and pod seperatly. In the BT50 version there is enough room for a chute between the BT20, and BT50. In the smaller version I have to use a streamer. Although, after looking at it more, I think creating the mechanics to just move the elevon would add too much weight and compexity. I am lazy:rolleyes: . I think I will just go with a pod like I did on my Mini-Bomarc glide conversion as shown.

Mikeyd:
Use the ejection pod as in the original, you will need to add nose weight to the Skydart for sure. I used the same method in the 10.5mm model with a .281" micro-maxx motor tube pod, works fine, just needs a booster motor to lift the 20.6g:( Your 13mm bomarc booster pod set up will work just fine, Streamer recovery of the pod isn't a problem either, i found folding the streamer twice into quarters before rollling around the inner tube helped rapid deployment at ejection.
Hope this helps.

Originally posted by mikeyd
Thanks to Sandmans Inspiration with the quad kits, I started on a Mini-Skydart. The first picture is under the Mini-Constellation Thread, Here are the next two.
Number 1

Like the Mini-Skydart :)

A bit OT:

Mike, do I see an Estes Mercury Redstone capsule made of paper and balsa in the background?

Whats the status on it?

I've started with my Estes Redstone capsule
Picture:
Redstone_Capsule.jpg

Only few parts have been glued because they need to be painted first.

Sure is a pain to put together :(

Yes Leo it is in process, kind of a long story. About 10 years ago, I built one I had been saving since the early 70's, and gave it to a friend of mine who had been diagnosed with cancer. In return he gave me a bag of parts. They were what was left of the kit he had started, he said it was too compex so had stopped building, he was very glad to get the built one. My friend finally succumbed to the cancer last year, so I broke out his old kit, and am completing it, using as many of the components, that he has already completed as possible. I am in no hurry for it but should complete it in the next couple of months. BTW yours looks very good!

Ok, Here is the Mini-Skydart with paint, and decals. Now to build the power pod, and balance for glide, and flight!

Thanks for the info Mike.

Keep me(us) informed on the Redstone rocket as it is toughy to build :)

The Mini-Skydart looks supurb :)
Don't forget to make pics/vids of it ;)

Mini Sky Dart looks good, Mikey - what's the weight of the shuttle?

I've decided to try one a bit smaller (51%) using cardstock and paper - I'm hoping to get the weight low enough that it'll fly with a single mmx motor - assuming I can get it to glide at all (I've not had a lot of luck getting mmx scaled bgs to glide - the wing area is often just too darned small! ;) ). I got the wing and tail cut out and attached to the bt.

I also tried something a bit different - to cut the weight, I traced the wing pattern to some heavier card stock for the core, and then cut out all but the outline and glued a layer of 20# paper to each side (kinda like building an old stick and paper plane!) I still have to put the nacelles on and the elastic cord, and then I can balance and try test gliding it.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Greg

ps sorry - no pics - I don't have a digital camera right now. I'll try to get some pics as I get further along.

Back