Mini R/C BSG Colonial Viper Rocket glider for D2.3 motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is another scale down of one of the kits I used to do, sized for bt-60 tubing and using 6mm and 3mm depron from rcdepron.com

Length is 17", wingspan is 15" and weight dry is 3.2 oz .

I asked Jack Hydrazines(his handle on FB) to work up a mini-bertha cone for thingverse so my friend could print one out for my mini Orbital Transport Shuttle, and I used one of those with the nose ground down to whip up this mini viper. Just like on my upscale and my kit version I used an oversized wing for glide but painted out the non viper portion of the wing flat black and the result is pretty good and it yields a nice flying model. Markings are hand cut vinyl. I just scaled everything by 65%.

Just waiting on the motor decals from stickershock to finish it up.

IMG_20201215_220850540.jpgIMG_20201215_220858736.jpgIMG_20201215_152018005.jpgIMG_20201215_151950353.jpgIMG_20201215_145312926.jpg

And that is the best reason. and all the reason you need... Bravo.
Always was one of my Fave SciFi ships. Thanks

How light were you able to get the Nose Cone? What did you print with?
Reason I ask: I have been working on some of these NC's and have trouble getting them to printing single layer spiral without the reduced diameter portion separating from the main part. I use ABS. 2 layer shell gives me an inner layer as well and drives up the weight.

Jack hydrazine(his internet handle on trf and FB) designed this for me for my mini orbital transporter shuttle kit, and put this on thing verse. I used the 1 mm thick version with the 19mm shoulder and no base and just ground the nose off with a belt sander and filled the tip with some 3 mm foam sheet. But he also added this nose cone with the angled tip and and a solid end and added it and you can use that for a super viper bt-60 based if you wish.

I didn't personally print this, my friend George Rachor did, he's new to 3D printing and just used the STL file as is, it's solid 1 mm thick and the print quality came out quite good in pla. 13 grams finished with the top ground off and foam added.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4684463
And that is the best reason. and all the reason you need... Bravo.
Always was one of my Fave SciFi ships. Thanks

How light were you able to get the Nose Cone? What did you print with?
Reason I ask: I have been working on some of these NC's and have trouble getting them to printing single layer spiral without the reduced diameter portion separating from the main part. I use ABS. 2 layer shell gives me an inner layer as well and drives up the weight.

Last edited:
Thank you. I will play with it. I prefer ABS but may have to try PLA. Truth is I have never used it. Just always used ABS, PETG, HIPS, and ultrat based on recommendations from my son-in-law - the engineer who has done the research as we have played with this tech. lots of fun. appreciate the help.

Super cool stuff. Do you ever make non-RC free flight models?

In the past I have built free flight kits, tomcat for example, but for me the fun is in piloting them. Something about lighting a motor that you can't turn off is exciting. My local fields are not as conducive to free flight and recovery of boosters/pop pods etc and less forgiving if they take a funny angle off the pad, and they have often changing wind directions so R/C is a better option. Plus, there are multiple people/kit makers focusing on free flight, ie North coast, JH Aerospace, Estes, Morerockets, squirrel works etc....The R/C kit market was and still is under served.

Frank

Super cool stuff. Do you ever make non-RC free flight models?

Even tho there are other glider kit makers yours are really unique. Except for North Coast all the others make front engine all balsa gliders that just dont have the same design coolness.

Back