Mini R/C bomarc missile rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My latest musing, this time a small R/C bomarc rocket glider. Basically identical to the 2.6" diameter kit I used to make, scaled down by 0.67 for dimensions and using bt-60 tubing. 28.25" long, 14" wingspan, 6.9 oz ready to fly with radio and D-13 aerotech reload. Pylons are mounted, Just waiting on the bt-50 to get here to make the ramjets...

267852138_992467498056560_7101564813949626438_n.jpg

Last edited:
Crazy question but if one wanted to, could this be made into a regular rocket?

-Bob

A little snow this morning but cleared up enough with no wind to maiden the mini R/C bomarc rocket glider. It's still got just a bit of roll on boost I'm trimming out, but it boosts so quickly I never can tell what direction so I have to go home and watch the video on slow mo and then tweak again...:) Boosted really nice and the glide is very predictable and easily able to pull the nose up for flare...no issues with the ramjets on landing either.

Crazy question but if one wanted to, could this be made into a regular rocket?

-Bob

Definitely possible to do a BT-60 Bomarc standard rocket... Here was my scratch build w/ BT60 Body + BT55 Ramjets + BT20 Top pod + 2mm Basswood fins + 3D printed parts -- https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/boeing-cim-10-bomarc-successful-launch-today.168297/

Got the ramjets mounted and she's ready to maiden, 6.9 oz rtf w motor, I covered the ramjets and bottom of fuse in vinyl for protection from wet grass landings..

What is the smallest EDF that is viable? It would be cool to put fans in the Ramjets but does not seem that any RC planes use EDFs that small (or even BT-55 small)...

There are 30mm fans I know, now you have to carry a bigger battery and esc's, the edf's and esc's are behind the cg and now you have a pig. A lot of these models I'm getting to boost as rocket gliders use low thrust motors for easy controllability and less boost stress on pilot and airframe, if you add even an ounce, they are too heavy to boost on those motors. It is a very fine line on a lot of these models keeping weight at a minimum and being able to boost at all. This boosts to around 500', you'd lose a lot adding the edf weight I think.

Frank

What is the smallest EDF that is viable? It would be cool to put fans in the Ramjets but does not seem that any RC planes use EDFs that small (or even BT-55 small)...

burkefj,
I knew Madcow made a Bomarc but I am willing to bet that yours is lighter

BigMacDaddy,
I am pretty sure I followed your build but in a different thread than the one you linked to. I'm pretty sure I asked about the possibility of obtaining some printed parts from you

Anyway, glad to read that it's flown. You'll get the roll figured out :)

-Bob

Back