Mini Nuke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four x F39 = 238H154
It would be interesting if you airstarted the central motor as that cluster would get it moving.
Go big or go home.

I might have to build a 38MD soon as well.
I think I have a J410 that would give it a good run.

I might look into getting a timer to air start the central motor.. i dont really want to add an av bay to this as its more a load and go rocket that i can just put a motor in and send it up. The cluster idea is aimed at getting it right for the 10" Mega Nuke upscale.. sims tell you a certain amount but the real world results are alot more reliable with these odd designs, i may even try 29mm pods on the Mini Nuke with a central I303 or J600.

I should get a 38mm MD done by next launch.. i will make 3 towers and try talk D.W into a 3 person drag race :flyingpig: launching the Ath3na on the I800 I cant wait to put one of them in a MD38.. maybe add an L990 in a 54mm MD booster and see if I can hit our ceiling :)

Last edited:
Hey Luke I've got a Perfectflite microTimer with G-Switch which I've never used (long way off on my two stage project) - you are welcome to it if you want try out the air start idea above...

Just looked it up, that would be perfect for it and its small enough to fit in an 18mm tube. Why not see how far we can push this little bugger :point: (love these smileys)

Aptly named device, indeed :)

I've still got a few (all of the) 29mm 'AT' cases that haven't flown in a while - we've still got plenty of 29mm reloads too so if you want to run some sims/work out a good combo, I'll be more than happy to help out with the 'thrust provided' side of the project.

Thanks mate, I'll take you up on that. I was planning to use a few AT motors at the next launch, do you know if we have any I200 and 24mm F motors left? I will run some more sims tonight on the mini and micro nukes and see what I can come up with :)

Picked up the 10" mandrel for the upscale Mega Nuke, still need to find a bug enough tube for the fin band, failing that I may just do a box fin. Inspired by the words of my cousin Mick Dundee, thats not a mandrel.. This, is a mandrel! :jaw:

20160807_165435-1.jpg

The Mini Nuke repairs and mods are completed, few chips have been filled and the whole thing sanded and primed... Now to decide on a colour scheme, any thoughts? :confused:

20160809_113019-1.jpg

Decided to throw some fluro orange paint on the Mini nuke and sanded it back to let the other colours come through a bit, then hit it with a clear coat. I like the look of it and it doesn't matter if the paint gets damaged :marshmallow:

20160811_130427-1.jpg

Few photos of the Mini Nuke after painting with the decal set added and of it launching last Sunday on a CTI I195RL.. flew really well but I still haven't found it yet. Very fun rocket to fly :)

20160812_205213-1.jpg
DSC_7958.jpg
DSC_7957.jpg
DSC_7954.jpg

Back