Mini Nike-X (A Downscale version of the Estes Classic)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanOtt

Reaction score
Mini Nike-X.jpg This is a re-draw of Bob Harrington's NIKE-X.

I utilized Chris Michielssen's 3-ply fold-over fin building technique and it worked out great.

This mini rocket uses a BT5 body tube, and a NC5-A nose cone from the Estes 003160 NC5 nose cone 5-pack.

EDIT: I built an Open Rocket file for the Mini Nike-X and it's attached.

With an Estes A10-3T, it has a stability of 1.38 cal., weighs 17.3g, CG is at the base of the triangular mid fins (17.7cm from the tip of the nose; CP is right at the motor block (19.6cm from the tip of the nose); it gets 28m/s off the rod, apogee at 118m, max velocity 71.3m/s (161 mph).

o_O

The second page of the PDF is build instructions and I think I covered everything.

I state in my instructions that it's streamer recovery, but I just added that. I'm guessing it's light enough for tumble recovery, but a 1" x 12" orange streamer really couldn't hurt and will aid in finding it if it manages to go into the weeds.

Give it a build and let me know how it all works out for you.

Feedback is appreciated.

Jon

Attachments

• Mini Nike-X.pdf
    640.4 KB · Views: 143
  • mini Nike-X.ork
    28.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
That is really cool. I have been thinking about making a mini or MX size version of the Red Nova, including the nose cone out of cardstock. Any of the missile type rockets like this Nike X would be fun to do, Bullpup, Nike Smoke, etc...

For the fins, I sometimes just use a 2 or 3 layer glue-sticked laminate of plain white 110# cardstock, then wrap the fold over fin pattern on top of that. You get a nice white edge that you can color with a marker to match the pattern of the fin. Scoring the paper before folding for a sharper crease sometimes will tear the surface and some white will show through on a color fin. Depending on the size of the rocket a 4 or 5 layer laminate of 110# cardstock is plenty strong enough for a fin. I rotate the paper direction as well, since the paper has a grain direction to it this helps minimize warping. After markering the fin edges, I will wipe a thin layer of white glue to help prevent delamination.

You are correct. The streamer was only there to aid in recovery. When I made my last one, I put in a MicroMaxx motor mount in it so I can launch in my side yard.

Back