Mini Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPflyer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an Estes Mini Max that I purchased in the clearance section of Hobby Lobby. It was $2.00 and was complete but it was open and had a significant gouge in the balsa nose cone. I figured some Elmers wood filler and a little sanding and you would never know. I learned that you can spend as much time finishing and painting a mini rocket as you can on a mid-power or bigger rocket. The results were pretty good and it looked pretty good. I have flown it about 10 times and it is starting to show it. I replaced the elastic shock cord with a kevlar string and use a paper streamer for recovery. I have never used wadding as the streamer is flame resistant. It is a fun flyer and the recovery walk is never very far.
DSC_0437 (2).JPG

Those are great! A good sale for a lot of fun in a mini rocket.

I found the pattern on-line for the full-size chute, and traced a copy of it in smaller size with a sharpie on a grocery bag homemade chute for my Mini Max, although a streamer is definitely sufficient.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 7.35.51 PM.png

Heck of a deal! Mini are good fun
I can sense I'll be cloning this model..... off to find plans and parts list....
They were posted on the Estes page on facebook recently. The person was going to get them to JimZ but they are cell phone quality.

I wish I would have gotten back into the hobby when those kits were 2 dollars. They are going for over 25 on ebay these days. Someone REALLY needs to get the plans/decal and parts list posted some place.

Back