Mini Little Joe II 1/100 scale build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was inspired by member Long-gone when I saw his post on a mini little joe II. I had an old Apollo capsule with a busted LES from a Centuri Saturn 1B kit that meet it’s demise some years ago. So........thought that’s a nice challenge to build. Used a wooden pencil crayon as the tower for the LES tower and secured it to the remaining flange of the tower with a plastic straw. Have prepared wraps for the tower, capsule and CSM. Will try a corrugated wrap for the lower section, used a smooth card stock scored with an awl every 2mm. Hopefully this will show thru when spray painted. Have prepared fins each with 3 pieces. This will be a challenge to get glued on the BT. Even more of a challenge to stay on during launch. Presently the motor mount and shock cord have been installed. Waiting for the glue to dry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 34
Installed the lower corrugated wrap with double sided tape. Lightly sanded the gloss off the card stock wrap to improve adhesion of the wood fin parts. Glued on the bases for each fin location. Fins next once the glue drys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 15
Glued the fins on. Had to be inventive on how to do this.

Attachments

• 167A11F0-94BC-43A3-8173-9E66DA9902D0.jpeg
    167A11F0-94BC-43A3-8173-9E66DA9902D0.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 19
  • C4DB89CC-BB72-467F-962A-B653D828C9F6.jpeg
    C4DB89CC-BB72-467F-962A-B653D828C9F6.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Completed the aluminum spray paint, United States labels, CM wrap, LES wrap. Added protection to the shock cord inside BT. Applied clear coat.
Still have to add weight to the nose cone and an anchor to the interior of the cone for the shock cord to attach to.

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 43
I really like the corrugation's on the card stock, I will incorporate that in mine. Good stuff!
I printed the lines 2mm apart on card stock and then dragged an awl down each line. Time consuming but it gave the effect I was looking for.
Checked out Home Depot and they have a nice shiny silver paint. Maybe I'll give it a try.

If you guys can find Krylon Foil Metallic silver in the very narrow spray can, it has a real nice chrome like finish. I've tried other brands, was very happy with this.
Hobby Lobby carries it where I live.

Attachments

• krylon_silver_foil_metallic_spray_1.jpg
    krylon_silver_foil_metallic_spray_1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 19
  • MaxQ%20LJII%20boost2 (2).jpg
    MaxQ%20LJII%20boost2 (2).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 22
  • LBJ%20-%20II%20painted%20-B.jpg
    LBJ%20-%20II%20painted%20-B.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
If you guys can find Krylon Foil Metallic silver in the very narrow spray can, it has a real nice chrome like finish. I've tried other brands, was very happy with this.
Hobby Lobby carries it where I live.
Can’t locate this particular one but I have a few options. Your’s does give a nice finish. Thanks for your suggestion.

I Just painted my Boyce Aerospace 1/125 Little Joe in the Hobby Lobby "KRYLON CROME" in the skinny can I got at Hobby Lobby a few months ago now that we have 80 degree days when last week we had 6" of Sticky hard snow ! Hi HI

When the paint is Dry I will post it...

That's odd...I just checked the Amazon link I provided...it says "in stock".

Attachments

• krylon metallic foil silver.jpg
    krylon metallic foil silver.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 6
I Just painted my Boyce Aerospace 1/125 Little Joe in the Hobby Lobby "KRYLON CROME" in the skinny can I got at Hobby Lobby a few months ago now that we have 80 degree days when last week we had 6" of Sticky hard snow ! Hi HI

When the paint is Dry I will post it...
Will see how the finish compares to MaxQ’s finish on his little joe.

Well it seems not as Shiny as the Krylon Foil MaxQ posted... I have foil in my kitchen and garage and I have Chrome in my Garage and driveway... Chrome is normally more shiny then Foil... But in this case MAXQ has a much more Shiny rocket ... and now I did not do any sanding to refine the surface, just not needed for me on this rocket... It will sit 10 feet away from me or be flown from 15 feet away from me.

125-LittleJoe-II.jpg

I would agree it does not do it justice. The paint also enhances the horizontal lines of what I’m assuming is a trait of the 3D printing of the Boyce product. Does not reflect the nature of the vertical lines on the Little Joe very well. Can the plastic be sanded at all to remove the lines? I have no experience with 3D printing.

Launched the model July 21st. +26C 5km wind NNE.
Flight ready weight 61 gm including 12" chute and A8-3 motor. No added weight in the nose.
Model did a slight angled change in direction in leaving the rod and then flew straight up. Landed nearby with no damage. May add a little weight to the nose cone to see if it changes the flight dynamics on leaving the rod. Will try another A8-3 first and see what it does and then go for a B6-4. May have to add more weight for that one.
Little Joe II.JPG
View attachment Little Joe II small A8-3 Mov.MOV

Back