Mini EZI 65 Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyAtl

Reaction score
Has anyone got a Mini EZI 65 and can measure out the fin dimensions for me? I bought the kit many years ago at a hobby shop, put it in storage and forgot about it. Opened it up to build it today and found that instead of three EZI-65 shaped fins, it has six fins from a different rocket--with a smaller different shape. I may just go ahead and build it with the six fins since it doesn't really matter to me what it ends up looking like.

I'm waiting for my kids' Christmas parade to start rolling, but I'm pretty sure I have an .ork somewhere. PM me and I will remember to look for it :)

It sounds like you have the ultimate fin set. Get us your address and I'll get you the mini EZI. I'm assuming the mini-missile version. We have a few left in stock.

I have a scan of the fin template of the full size EZI from Rocsim, if you still need it. You can downscale to fit your mini, minus the tangs. Love that LOC customer service. When I recently placed an order they threw in two mini missiles and several foam can coolers. Thanks Dave, Get Up There and Keep It Up!:santa-smile:

View attachment SCN_0001.pdf

I've got this kit (and a few other mini-missiles), but it sounds like you've got it worked out. My mini-Fantom has at least 50 flights now. The Mini Hyper Loc and Nuke have 40+ flights. Chutes are LONG gone, the mylar doesn't hold up, but have been replaced with little nylon 7" ones...
Great kits.

Hmmmm, since you have a new mini-EZI presumably on the way, it would be a shame to waste those Ultimate fins. How about a miniUltimate clone, with a 7 engine cluster just like the full sized one? Looks like 7 MicroMax motor tubes should fit in that body. Micromeister/Mrcluster, got your ears on?

So I don't often get the chance to chat about these smaller kits... If you don't mind me asking, how would everyone feel if these little things were all slotted? We've been playing around and plan on a re-release of the mini's with some minor changes. Slotted boosters being one, using plywood then for fins with the necessary fin tab, kevlar shock cord mounted thru the airframe and streamers vs. the mylar chutes... I'd love to hear some opinions...

I have three of the new PFs plus an old-school Aura. I love the slots, definitely opens up a lot of options. The EZE was a bit hard to mount due to flex in those forward segments.

If for some crazy reason I wanted to MD one, I'd just cut most of the roots off and jam a bt55/56 coupler in.

That's one of the things that helped keep the costs in check for those kits. Uniform slots. On some kits, it's too long, others a bit too short. That's most likely the concept will bring down to the mini line. But by keeping it the same GREATLY reduces the man hours to produce. I'm trying to find that balance with the smaller kits so we always appreciate feedback! I'm hoping to hear back from two of our suppliers yet on some costs on things... If all goes well, I'd like to have something ready for the new year!

I have three of the new PFs plus an old-school Aura. I love the slots, definitely opens up a lot of options. The EZE was a bit hard to mount due to flex in those forward segments.

If for some crazy reason I wanted to MD one, I'd just cut most of the roots off and jam a bt55/56 coupler in.

Dave,
Looking forward to your updated mini missile lineup. Have the LOC IV, Hyperloc, Li'l Nuke, and 2 Isis/Iris minis. Gives the LPR enthusiasts something to build and fly. Me, I like them all, from MMX to 29 mm. BTW, I notice some of your MPR standards are now OOP. Anything new coming up in the MPR lineup?

I really like the mini-missile kits (as stated above, I own a few!) Definitely replace the chute, the shock cord as well with the round elastic didn't last very long. TTW fins would be awesome. Otherwise they are great. Plywood, while sturdy, if it raises the weight too much may be more of a hindrance. The Fantom and Lil' nuke will still fly on A8-3's and if they get too heavy, it may mean that they are B+ flyers. Not a bad thing, but still something to consider.ACTIVITY_McGAVOCK_AARON_DSC.jpg

You could also use thin 1/16" plywood. Less weight, but then you would have to recut the slots to the thinner fins. Less uniformity, more man hours of labor. Personally, I don't mind glue on non slotted fins. It's a skill that low power builders need to develop for 99% of the kits out there. Sooner or later, the training wheels have to come off. And a long, fire resistant streamer might be a good replacement for the mylar parachutes, if they are more durable. I'm thinking if these kits are going to be slightly heavier and more durable, they might be a good match for the upcoming Quest/Aerotech 18 mm composites that are undergoing certification. Fingers crossed.

Boom! =)

We haven't finished "production" yet so a change in fins can certainly be arranged. I don't feel the plywood added much weight at all, we're talking MAYBE 5 grams? But 1/16" is certainly something to consider! Thank You!!! Shock cord will be Kevlar. And streamer.... not fire-proof. In fact pretty low cost. To the point if might just be a replaceable part... Like retail would be $1 for a six-pack. Just tie a new one on... Keep production costs low. But I'm open to any and all ideas!!! That's why I Hi-jacked the OPs post! =) And your EZI is shipped OP.

You could also use thin 1/16" plywood. Less weight, but then you would have to recut the slots to the thinner fins. Less uniformity, more man hours of labor. Personally, I don't mind glue on non slotted fins. It's a skill that low power builders need to develop for 99% of the kits out there. Sooner or later, the training wheels have to come off. And a long, fire resistant streamer might be a good replacement for the mylar parachutes, if they are more durable. I'm thinking if these kits are going to be slightly heavier and more durable, they might be a good match for the upcoming Quest/Aerotech 18 mm composites that are undergoing certification. Fingers crossed.

Which MPR are you referring too? There we're a few we needed to set aside until we understood the concept. But I was fairly sure we had them all back up.... We're bringing some back in the "Retro" line-up if they we're older classics... Let me know!

Dave,
Looking forward to your updated mini missile lineup. Have the LOC IV, Hyperloc, Li'l Nuke, and 2 Isis/Iris minis. Gives the LPR enthusiasts something to build and fly. Me, I like them all, from MMX to 29 mm. BTW, I notice some of your MPR standards are now OOP. Anything new coming up in the MPR lineup?

That's one of the things that helped keep the costs in check for those kits. Uniform slots. On some kits, it's too long, others a bit too short. That's most likely the concept will bring down to the mini line. But by keeping it the same GREATLY reduces the man hours to produce. I'm trying to find that balance with the smaller kits so we always appreciate feedback! I'm hoping to hear back from two of our suppliers yet on some costs on things... If all goes well, I'd like to have something ready for the new year!
Absolutely, was very excited to see that parts standardization, lets me know costs are being controlled and margins being safeguarded. I love me some healthy manufacturers :)

EDIT: oh, and while I'm here: why doesn't somebody make sticks of glue-on balsa or basswood fillet stock? You only need 4 SKUs, they can be OEMed by the dollhouse trim people, and they'd be stinking awesome to chop, sand, and wood glue.

Last edited:
Dave,
I was looking for the Stovi and Cyclotron. Thought I saw the Cyclotron as OOP and being closed out at one vendor. Another vendor has been out for months of the Stovi. Are these still in production? BTW recently completed a build of the 4-29SS. Awesome rocket, can't wait to launch. Laters.

Ahh.... They were not very popular by the numbers. So when they ran out we left it that way. Not to say we couldn't bring them back. But, we focused on some other areas we thought needed more attention. I can look into bringing them back for sure, it'll just be a bit down the road. I think AMW MAY still have some in stock? When they found out we we're going to OOP them for a bit, they snatched the last of them...
Dave,
I was looking for the Stovi and Cyclotron. Thought I saw the Cyclotron as OOP and being closed out at one vendor. Another vendor has been out for months of the Stovi. Are these still in production? BTW recently completed a build of the 4-29SS. Awesome rocket, can't wait to launch. Laters.

Back