mini-engine rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Fisher

Reaction score
Estes Firehawk & Bandito primered up & waiting for paint. These kits are E2X "no painting required-colored body tubes", but I like to paint them anyway so they look like real rockets and not cheap toys. The Bandito has quite a clever engine mount, TTW fin unit attachment system. These rockets appealed to me cause they use mini-engines, have bt-20 body tubes & 12" parachute recovery. Oh yeah-not bad for $2.50 apiece at Hobby Lobby half off, internet coupon sale!

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
Estes Firehawk & Bandito primered up & waiting for paint. These kits are E2X "no painting required-colored body tubes", but I like to paint them anyway so they look like real rockets and not cheap toys. The Bandito has quite a clever engine mount, TTW fin unit attachment system. These rockets appealed to me cause they use mini-engines, have bt-20 body tubes & 12" parachute recovery. Oh yeah-not bad for $2.50 apiece at Hobby Lobby half off, internet coupon sale!

Assuming that the fly good, you may be suprised - of all the D and E and cluster sport models I have, my mini-engine estes kits get by far the most mileage. The engines are cheap, the flight and recoveries are relatively quick, easy to prep for launch, and the kids love 'em because they simply *SCREAM* off the pad. Lightning quick boosts.

If these are your first mini engine kits like that, you will be very pleased. Just make sure you replace the stock shock cords with something better and longer, and possibly reinforce the attachment point - you'll be flying them alot.

Rob:
Would you post the finished empty weight of your 2 new MINI motor models. If they don't tip the scaled to heavily they may be candidates for conversion to Micor-Motors power;) I assume they are both 13mm body models.
I just recently converted a couple standard mosquitos for Micro-Maxx motors that should do pretty well at 7.3g with an 18" teflon rear ejection streamer pod.

They both have bt-20 body tubes, micromeister, probably too big for micro-motors. I don't have any way I can think of to weigh them.

Back