Mini clone Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Cardstock Rocketry' started by GlenP, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Jan 18, 2017 #1

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

I recently got the 24mm Super Viper from More Rockets, and decided to try building a min dia 13mm clone from cardstock, (see thread in the mid power forum) The first trial was just from some spare paper and roughly scaled 32% from the geometry of the Super Viper. When I started to make a decal sheet for that one, I decided to make a printable template with the artwork already on the body and turbo tubes and the fins. Went together fairly easily, might need to make some minor tweaks. Here are the two mini clones, the first one has a first coat of white, needs the decal sheet, the second one was ink jet printed with the decal artwork on the paper. Fins are just 5 ply laminated cardstock. I plan to add a launch lug and engine hook. The nose cone is modified from the 13 mm template in the Project Paper thread here.

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. Jan 18, 2017 #2

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

Looks great. I've been thinking of doing a mini Viper, myself.

3. Jan 18, 2017 #3

hcmbanjo

hcmbanjo

hcmbanjo

Great work Glen!
    I'd love to get a PDF of your mini Colonial Viper.
    Be sure to put your name and the name of the model on your PDF.

If you are looking for a place to host your carded PDF (and make it available to many others),
    email Wayne Hill at The Rocketry Blog. Check out his "Ultimate Paper rocket Guide".
    https://rocketry.wordpress.com/about/
    He has got a huge collection of carded models and will list it giving you name credit.
    All my carded models are there.

4. Jan 18, 2017 #4

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

Many thanks! I would be happy to pass the PDF along to share. I have a couple of updates pending, I am making a B-side template that will color the inside of the turbos in red, just run the paper through the printer flipped over. I did this trick on my Groove Tube template.

The Bob Harrington Satellite Interceptor was my gateway into the cardstock models. My first test mini Viper's laser cannon was just a toothpick, on the next iteration I added a little cardstock wrap around the toothpick, similar to the Dr. Zooch trick of a using cardstock-wrapped dowel on the Soyuz.

5. Feb 1, 2017 #5

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

IMG_0479.jpg

I attached the shock cord to a chute line to the top turbo tube, this is just aft of the balance point with a spent engine, so the streamer recovery will be in more of a horizontal landing approach orientation like the model is suspended in the picture. The nose cone has a slightly extended shoulder that is full of clay, since the front part of the chamfered cone portion is hollow.

Also, I found some empty tissue and paper towel rolls in the recycle bin that have the makings of a Colonial Wiper. :). Sorry, it just had to be done.

6. Jul 7, 2017 #6

The_Lone_Beagle

The_Lone_Beagle

The_Lone_Beagle

Haven't been here in a while...just saw your "Colonial Wiper" and you have my (belated) vote for winning the internet last January 31st!

7. Jul 8, 2017 #7

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Anyone who makes a crack about Klingons will have to answer to ME!

8. Aug 17, 2017 #8

Raffy

Raffy

Raffy

The Klingons would now be on Uranus. Sorry, just couldn't resist!

Actually, that Colonial Wiper might actually fly if we put a motor mount in it (and a nose cone, although it might fly without one).

9. Aug 20, 2018 #9

tenspeed

tenspeed

tenspeed

Glen sent me the PDF a few weeks ago. It took me about a weeks to build it. I used body tubes and a cut down nose cone. I put as much clay (square clay from estes) in the nose as would fit. I don't know how much clay was added as what was left wouldn't register on my scale (in grams). The viper flew great. Straight up and was stable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Charles_McG likes this.
  10. Aug 23, 2018 #10

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

Wow, that looks great. Did you clear coat it? I like to use the semi-gloss or satin clear over my cardstock builds. The nose cone looks really good. Congrats on the build and the stable flight. Did you use a an A10, A3, or 1/2A3 engine?

(the new TRF did not give me any Alert that this old thread had been updated, I just noticed it today.)

11. Aug 27, 2018 #11

tenspeed

tenspeed

tenspeed

I can't remember if I used a Matt or Gloss clear coat. I used an A10 engine. I'm going to build another one after Labor Day weekend as I'll have more time. I'll post pics. The guys I shoot with loved it.