Mini Brute to Maxi Brute: an easy upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
I have just put the final touches on an up scaled clone that I have wanted to build for some time. I LOVE the early 1970's ESTES Mini Brutes (13mm powered rockets). One of my favorites is the Aero-Hi, a BT-20 based 'pseudo scale' sounding rocket.

I thought that this would make a neat up-scaled model, so I dug out the calculator and drew up plans for a BT-80 version. 24mm powered, will fly on Ds, Es. All ESTES parts were used except BMS 1/8" lite ply centering rings and an 18" ripstop chute. A few nights ago, I applied the decals and then the Future floor polish.

Rocsim says that it will do 550 feet on a D12-5, and 1000+ feet on an E9-6.

The lil' guy in the photo is my 7 year old nephew, who is a die-hard junior rocketeer.

Fred

SWEET!

I wanna do a mini-brute upscale too, but I'm leaning towards the Rogue. However, since no conical nose cones are available for the BT80 (unless you call Sandman, that is ;) ) I'm leaning towards a BT55 upscale and using a Black Brant style PNC (which I have a few of.) Seems like the Little John could also be done with the PNC 80K, speaking of BT80 class upscales.

(or even - dare I say - a Starliner.... but was the Starliner a mini-brute? Oh well. Still would be cool.)

Great job Fred:
I've alway liked the Aerobee-HI, very clean model. Estes bought out North Coast Reocketry (Matt Steel) line of rockets. They had a 2.6" size "Heavy wall" Aerobee-HI test. Not quite scale but a nice convertable model... I of course immediately Clustered the beast with 3 D12's What Beautiful Flights
What do you think?

Originally posted by Fore Check
SWEET!

I wanna do a mini-brute upscale too, but I'm leaning towards the Rogue. However, since no conical nose cones are available for the BT80 (unless you call Sandman, that is ;) ) I'm leaning towards a BT55 upscale and using a Black Brant style PNC (which I have a few of.) Seems like the Little John could also be done with the PNC 80K, speaking of BT80 class upscales.

(or even - dare I say - a Starliner.... but was the Starliner a mini-brute? Oh well. Still would be cool.)

I had a Rogue back in the day...
Flew straight out of sight maiden flight.
An upscale would be cool, even in BT55 size.:cool:

Say, Fore Check, did you get to launch that fine Optima yet?

The Optima has not flown yet, Habu. But it *will* on Memorial Day Weekend at NSL! I've got two packs of E9-8's earmarked for a pair of launches!

Back