mini Astron Sky Hook

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenP

Reaction score
Just saw one of these recently in the gallery, and thought it would be a fun mini 13mm min dia cardstock clone. Here is the PDF template, I have not built it yet, but will print it and see how it turns out. I am using the Project Paper 18mm nose cone scaled down to the 13mm dia body. The fold over fins may need about 3 ply of cardstock in between the face sheets for a total of a 5 ply sandwich, fold on the centerline and cut on the black outline. Use some extra strips of cardstock to roll an engine block. Roll the body over a 1/2" dowel with some wax paper, or a few 13mm spent engines stacked end to end with a layer of copy paper glued around them for tolerance.

Attachments

• AstronSkyHook.pdf
    40.4 KB · Views: 34
I didn’t quite roll this one tight enough, maybe I could just make the template for the tube a little bit wider. That seam will be on the lug line.66DDF736-6F4D-4EBC-A688-85A97D6CE7B3.jpeg

Fin sandwiches are made from cardstock paper with layers rotated at 0, 90, 0, 90, 0, this helps keep them from warping. After I cut them, I will go over the edge with a red Sharpie, then put a thin bead of white glue on the cut edges.

Nose cone was a little tricky, but came out close enough. Lug will go against the one fin on the seam.

4F800329-8419-4CC7-A1BD-D592C114E428.jpeg

With a few other builds. I really do prefer the plastic nose cones on these, like on that Screaming Eagle, I am just all out at the moment. I need to put an order in to have some on hand for the next build.

7D1DE2D1-E75D-4577-A5CB-D642F103DAD2.jpeg
In this side view you can see the lug trimmed along the fin leading edge, per the kit instructions.

Last edited:
After clear coat. That really reveals any glue spots you make on the model. But also makes the printed paper look more like it was painted, almost.

456FC64C-61A1-4E45-A07A-DF41AC457DFB.jpeg

There’s something special about this fin shape, a true classic.

Last edited:
Back