Min. diameter "L" rocket altitude record

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Williamhimka

Reaction score
What is the record for the highest altitude a person has reached on a single-stage L motor? I hope to learn from all your responses here. I've seen in one of rockets magazines videos, Manny Ballestero's "Carbon Nightmare" He flew on a CTI 75mm 4G L2375 to about 23k. That's the highest I know of so far one has gotten to on an L motor. I wanna push the limits myself. I'll have to take it out west if I ever come up with such an idea. We only have an 18K waiver where we fly. Great field. I just have a feeling it'll go a bit higher than 18,000 haha. Does anybody know if the wildman Mach 3 kit has ever broken Mach 3? I was considering getting one for this project but I'm gonna hold off until I learn a bit and what to expect when monkeying with tight spaces such as electronics, battery choices, etc.

William

What is the record for the highest altitude a person has reached on a single-stage L motor? I hope to learn from all your responses here. I've seen in one of rockets magazines videos, Manny Ballestero's "Carbon Nightmare" He flew on a CTI 75mm 4G L2375 to about 23k. That's the highest I know of so far one has gotten to on an L motor. I wanna push the limits myself. I'll have to take it out west if I ever come up with such an idea. We only have an 18K waiver where we fly. Great field. I just have a feeling it'll go a bit higher than 18,000 haha. Does anybody know if the wildman Mach 3 kit has ever broken Mach 3? I was considering getting one for this project but I'm gonna hold off until I learn a bit and what to expect when monkeying with tight spaces such as electronics, battery choices, etc.

William

I know Loki's 54mm full L has gone significantly higher then that. I will try and find the exact numbers.

William
The current tripoli record is 37k, and I know that a Princeton University student broke 39k at FAR, and I highly doubt that a Wildman Mach 3 can break that. It could fit large M motors, and as a standard MD so it's too inefficient for what you want. You'd most likely need a flying case rocket with either a Loki L2050W (54mm, 4802 Ns), or maybe a L265 (54mm, 2644 Ns), which has potential as an extreme longburn. You could try doing some sims on the Mach 3, and try some of the 75mm L's as well.

Mark it looks like there are some very large numerical errors on the list . The altitudes seem higher then reality. I do not recall 2 O3400's that cleared 70K or any N5800 clearing 60K. Maybe I'm wrong
Nah, I'm positive those records are legit. When you compare how much more compact/efficient the vehicles are than the previous record holders it starts to make sense. People have gotten big gains by making incremental improvements to mass fraction. There's also an element of luck: flying on a calm day and having a straighter flight can probably make a difference of many thousands of feet on flights like these.

Back