MIM-23B Army Hawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
I have seen several photos that show what looks like a wiring channel on the side of the MIM-23B Hawk. Is this duplicated on the side that is hidden in the photos that I have seen? Does any one have any links for diagrams of this model of the Hawk?

I've built TLP's Mim-23a and it has the wiring tunnels on either side. I imagine it is the same with the 23b. Ted

I've built TLP's Mim-23a and it has the wiring tunnels on either side. I imagine it is the same with the 23b. Ted

I received an open package containing a HAWK MIM 23a rocket kit, plus a spare nylon parachute and a Skyward 18mm motor mount adaptor.
I was puzzled by two long body tubes, one measuring 16 inches, and one running 18 inches. From the general smell of the parts, I assume they had been in a musty basement, and there appears to be some crush stress lines on the 16 inch body tube that matches the black fiber wafer centering rings for the motor mount, plus the parachute baffle.

I am puzzled by the instruction to glue the parachute baffle exactly 6 inches from the top of the body tube. This is longer than my fingers, and given the moisture damage to the warped ring, it does not seem to want to stick in place.

Also, there were no painting instructions other than a image on the display card and a comment that some versions have NO lettering and others are over the two wiring channels.

I had heard that StickerShock had vinvyl decals for this model and bought a sheet for $10, but they don't seem to "fit", due to the fins and channel guides running down the body tube.
I was wondering if you or anyone had any advice on this.

I realize this model is from an open package, but I am beginning to wonder how many versions there are of the 1.6 body tube Model K-039.

Can you help me?

I've gotta' take my kid across town, but I'll find you a bunch more stuff when I get back and some links to other threads that will help you out.:)

Back