"Millennium Falcon" - AlnessW’s RW Mongoose 75 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About time I updated you all...
First, a few finishing touches on the build before leaving for the launch.

IMG_4356.jpg
Av-bay all done complete with wiring, solder, epoxy, terminal block for the Raven, and 3M clamp connector.

IMG_4358.jpg
9V batteries on back of sled.

IMG_4367.jpg
I need a way to attach my main shockcord to the nosecone tip, while still maximizing space inside the nosecone. A friend of mine poured for me a special retainer out of stamping mold epoxy that fits nicely at the end of the nosecone, but he didn't have it done in time for the flight. Hence, a temporary solution is needed - in this case, a 1/4"-20 forged eyebolt with some stacked washers solved the problem. Not glamorous and adds some extra weight, but that never hurts I suppose. For the sake of this flight, she'll do. This assembly also doubles as a shoulder for the aluminum tip - many have identified problems with these tips getting knocked loose on minimum-diameter flights with the installed setup of just a bolt and washer lodged into place. Hence, a shoulder is needed.

IMG_4371.jpg
Works perfectly.

IMG_4373.jpg
Apogee charges consisting of 3/8" surgical tubing, sealed with nylon end plugs, cable ties, and RTV. Because I was paranoid, I coated each entire charge in RTV as well, because why not. This setup was a deviation from my previous (often non-functional as Fred alluded to) surgical tubing charge setup...a fix that served me well. See my most recent post to my thread in the recovery forum for a full write-up on these.

Next, a few photos during prep...

IMG_4406.jpg
Motor installed and raring to go.

IMG_4408.jpg
Looking down the opposite end of the airframe...hehehe. :)

Perhaps I thought I was ready - but a few other problems materialized as I was finishing prep.

Problem #1
My BRB900 doesn't fit properly in my small av-bay. (Just flew the BRB900 this flight as my 70cm unit isn't set up yet.) I had obviously overlooked checking this fit before I left...oops. Guess some of you were right! My most rinkydink solution ever was to use lots of bubble wrap on the unit and tape the crap out of it to my main shockcord inside the nosecone. I was uneasy about my solution, but there was literally nowhere else I could put it.

Problem #2
The thing still won't stay powered on due to an issue with the battery connector as experienced the day before. Electrical taping the connector in place didn’t solve the issue as I thought it did. But of course, I had already buttoned up the main chute/av-bay and put the shear pins in, so I had to undo all of that which was a hassle. (Including having to drill a shear pin out of its hole... :bang: )

I went back in the motorhome with my dad, and we put our heads together to see if we could fix this somehow. After trying numerous different ideas with no luck, I was *THIS* close (like a micron) to bagging it and heading home, hugely disappointed. But then he suggested we try stripping and re-connecting the battery wires, then soldering them to the connector. It worked, and the flight was saved. So I buttoned everything up, called the FAA, did the final preparations, and headed for the pad. As we were loading the rocket in the tower I again was getting pretty queasy - my highest attempted flight to date, a new rocket, would my GPS still work with the field repairs, would I exceed its maximum range, etc. etc.. At that moment there was a blue hole overhead, so I armed up, put the igniter in, and retreated with my whole body was literally shaking as my dad drove me back to the controller.

IMG_4409.jpg
(Photo credit to Craig Alness.)

Took a minute to catch my breath, and went for it. The motor took a few seconds to think about what it wanted to do, but when it did, she leapt off the pad on a flame about twice as long as the rocket. I was ecstatic. Now all I had to do was wait for the GPS to regain lock. "Is it still accelerating, did the connector come loose, did I use big enough charges, did I seal them properly, am I coming in hot like before"...all of these thoughts are running through my head as I'm staring at the receiver. Suddenly - an update! I waited for it to keep updating just to make sure the bird was open. Sure enough, I had solid lock all the way down to the ground, indicating a proper drogue/main deployment. A huge relief!

IMG_4413.jpg
Whoo hoo! Posing with my launch controller post-flight. (Photo credit to Craig Alness.)

More below...

Punching in the last set of coordinates gave me a waypoint 4 miles from the pad, across the highway...dangerously close to where I "made my name" last year with the power lines. We drove out there and started searching. The sage was pretty thin, so thankfully it was much easier to see the ground. After searching for a while around the last coordinate with no luck, I knew it had to have been further. I also knew the GPS was still transmitting, so it was just a matter of getting a new set of coordinates on the receiver. We walked in the direction of the wind until I got an update, went about .2 miles further, and stumbled right upon it, laying there in pristine condition.

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg
(Photo credit to Craig Alness.)

The Raven had logged 33,815', Mach 2.25 and the RRC2+ was beeping out 33,828', which meant I knew right then I had broken my personal altitude record by a good 8K or so. Once again, I was ecstatic as we drove back to camp. We packed everything up, took down the pads, and were on the road by 2:30 PM. It's amazing how 2 tiny little beads of solder had made the difference between a very, very good drive home and a tough drive home.

A couple other photos post-recovery...

IMG_4431.jpg
Ed Harrison (The Cylon Rocketeer) and I. (Photo credit to Craig Alness.)

IMG_4434.jpg
And my dad and I. (Photo credit to Ed Harrison.)

Raven file attached here for your viewing pleasure.

Completed build page: https://wilsonalness.com/rocketry/projects/MillenniumFalcon.html
And a full launch report from the weekend: https://wilsonalness.com/rocketry/reports/OSU2016.html

As Steve Heller once said, "Layups are overrated." Time to dial up the solids loading in this motor and do it all again. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed! :)

Attachments

• Millennium Falcon Flight #1 EX M2200.FIPa
    442.8 KB · Views: 35
Took a minute to catch my breath, and went for it. The motor took a few seconds to think about what it wanted to do, but when it did, she leapt off the pad on a flame about twice as long as the rocket. I was ecstatic. Now all I had to do was wait for the GPS to regain lock. "Is it still accelerating, did the connector come loose, did I use big enough charges, did I seal them properly, am I coming in hot like before"...all of these thoughts are running through my head as I'm staring at the receiver. Suddenly - an update! I waited for it to keep updating just to make sure the bird was open. Sure enough, I had solid lock all the way down to the ground, indicating a proper drogue/main deployment. A huge relief!

Nice flight!

Out of curiosity, What altitude did you get GPS lock back?

Nice flight!

Out of curiosity, What altitude did you get GPS lock back?
Thank you! Don't recall, but I believe it was around 28K since that's about the maximum range of the BRB900 (taking launch elevation into consideration).

Back