Military uniform Nomex for FlightSketch mini pouch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
2 years ago @Wallace sent me some nomex cut from an old military jacket For streamers for a two-stage booster. I still have some. Would this make a good material to make a pouch for the flight sketch mini? I was thinking it is porous enough to allow for airflow but would be relatively flame resistant and protect the altimeter from the last charge?

@BEC ? @rklapp ?

I don't see any reason why not. The cloth doesn't need to be porous....you just need to let air get to the pressure sensor. I can't see how one could make a cloth pouch (with a way out for a tether/anchor that would be too well sealed.

2 years ago @Wallace sent me some nomex cut from an old military jacket For streamers for a two-stage booster. I still have some. Would this make a good material to make a pouch for the flight sketch mini? I was thinking it is porous enough to allow for airflow but would be relatively flame resistant and protect the altimeter from the last charge?

@BEC ? @rklapp ?
@BEC ’s wife made this. I sprayed it with fire retardant and has survived several ejection charges. It’s time to replace the battery.

A4169564-F48C-4BC3-9257-A23E59E5A18B.jpeg

It’s a little singed.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, they start to loose some of the fuzziness of the fleece after they experience a few ejection charges....but they still work fine.

Here's hoping those no-name cells last a reasonable length of time in your Mini.

Back