Military Retirement - Woohoo! no more Fitness Tests

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Blanton‘s but can’t find it. I choose Willet’s if I have to do so.

Ahhhhh, Blanton's. Package store on base here has a standing 'Call me' list when a case comes in, on a 'rights of first refusal' type basis, then to the name goes to the bottom of the list. Usually it's several dozen cases at a time.....limit 2 bottles per ID card per shipment!

We both deserve a different pace. I have 23 and will have 24 when I retire. Now, I just need to find a job.
I can't imagine that a man with your skill and experience will have any difficulty at all finding work in your field. That said, while I doubt you'd want to move north, we have more hospitals around here than you can shake a stick at.

We both deserve a different pace. I have 23 and will have 24 when I retire. Now, I just need to find a job.

Retirement after my many years of service has been…different than I expected.

Our then WWII vet group commander swore me in on a cold day in December of 79 so I was witness to a lot of change over 37+ years - most of it good, some of it really not good and some highly touted changes that turned out inconsequential. I miss it some days - the people mostly (you’ll probably find the same thing I did - though being a full-time ANG member made the impact a bit less jarring for me - that civilians are different) - working on a military team focused on the unit’s mission is unlike what goes on in the civilian world. Not necessarily better but definitely different. I missed having a purpose outside my own and my family’s needs - which was one of the reasons I started substitute teaching (which this screwy pandemic threw a big monkey wrench into!).

I don’t miss the BS - the only part of the AFPT test that gave this short chunky long distance runner any grief was the stupid waist measurement. Yeah, the fact that my belly button is in line with my love handles determines my fitness level - sure it does - my bottom of the scale resting pulse, recovery rate, BP, cholesterol levels, drawer full of of race t-shirts, pile of worn out running shoes - that meant nada! 😆 And I definitely don’t miss either side of drug testing (though it was a long time since I had to watch rather than contribute, if you know what I mean). Or doing performance evals - you tell me the value of doing yearly evaluations on a traditional Guardsman on a six-year hitch for college tuition? Especially when ALL the bottom rung positions on the UMD are E-4s or E-5s - what a waste of everyone’s time and leadership’s credibility…

Anyway, congratulations on a well earned retirement. Luckily I’m not in a place where I need a job to supplement my retired pay but in today’s world of labor shortages you’re probably going to have your pick of jobs if you need one! And still have more time to build more rockets.

I remember the Air Force run test one year. The lab I worked at chose to use the elevated runway at Wright-Patterson AFB as the site. The runway was an experimental site as it was built on a hill. It had been decommissioned years before and now had potholes and loose gravel in places. The worst spot was at the bottom of the runway which was covered in loose gravel. So you started the timed test by running downhill on the runway and then did a hard right turn on the loose gravel. You then ran around the roads near the Air Force Museum annex and then ran up the runway to finish the 1.5 miles.

The only good thing was as the lab was dedicated to medical research there were lots of doctors and medical technicians running or monitoring the test to attend the few people who didn't successfully navigate the hazardous turn at the bottom of the hill.

We did the test somewhere else the following year.

. The first shirt who wouldn't let me out of the test wasn't happy, but I met the minimum requirement.
our saying at the Air Force Academy was

“if the minimum wasn’t the minimum it wouldn’t be the minimum.”

this creed was somewhat frowned upon by the commanding officers.

congrats on your impending freedom, Chuck. Find a form of exercise or workout routine that fits your new lifestyle. Stay in shape even though Big Brother isn’t watching anymore. It will pay off in many ways.

I can't imagine that a man with your skill and experience will have any difficulty at all finding work in your field. That said, while I doubt you'd want to move north, we have more hospitals around here than you can shake a stick at.

I could move north from thaw to summer, but the cold is too much for me. I guess I would get used to it. I lived for 25 years up north,, but not I am used to the heat.

I will have to work. "Have to" might not be the right statement. I want to work for 10-20 years. I spent a lot of time and money to get my skills. A lot of it you paid for and it would be a sin to waste it completely retired piddling around my workshop. That is not meant to offend anyone. I truly enjoy helping others with my skills and knowledge.

Last edited:
Ahhhhh, Blanton's. Package store on base here has a standing 'Call me' list when a case comes in, on a 'rights of first refusal' type basis, then to the name goes to the bottom of the list. Usually it's several dozen cases at a time.....limit 2 bottles per ID card per shipment!

Same here. it rarely comes in now.

I remember the Air Force run test one year. The lab I worked at chose to use the elevated runway at Wright-Patterson AFB as the site. The runway was an experimental site as it was built on a hill. It had been decommissioned years before and now had potholes and loose gravel in places. The worst spot was at the bottom of the runway which was covered in loose gravel. So you started the timed test by running downhill on the runway and then did a hard right turn on the loose gravel. You then ran around the roads near the Air Force Museum annex and then ran up the runway to finish the 1.5 miles.

The only good thing was as the lab was dedicated to medical research there were lots of doctors and medical technicians running or monitoring the test to attend the few people who didn't successfully navigate the hazardous turn at the bottom of the hill.

We did the test somewhere else the following year.
When were you stationed at Wright-Patt? I was stationed there twice. I was in the Electronic Warfare SPO from 1984 to 1989 and on the AFMC IG team from 1996 to 1999. I recall running on the track outside the Area B fitness center that went near AFIT and paralleled the fence along National Road. Not sure if that track is still there since the gates were relocated post 9-11.

First - many thanks to every Veteran. We owe you guys a never ending debt of appreciation.

In my work world, not medical related unfortunately, Veterans get priority. I know that for a fact because of the few times I've hired someone. I'm very, very good with that.

A very good friend of mines son was career Army Special Forces. He got out at the highest E rank (sorry, I don't know those numbers even after my two boys did their time in The USAF) there was. He had a job before he left so... it should just be a matter of getting the resume out there and taking your pick.

When were you stationed at Wright-Patt? I was stationed there twice. I was in the Electronic Warfare SPO from 1984 to 1989 and on the AFMC IG team from 1996 to 1999. I recall running on the track outside the Area B fitness center that went near AFIT and paralleled the fence along National Road. Not sure if that track is still there since the gates were relocated post 9-11.

I was at AFIT from 1982 to 1984 and then at AFMRL to 1988. You ran past AFMRL as it was close to the fence near National Road. I was in the building with the tower.

When I was in AFIT we actually had classes in the decommissioned nuclear reactor. The government always reuses stuff when it can.

I could move north from thaw to summer, but the cold is too much for me. I guess I would get used to it. I lived for 25 years up north,, but not I am used to the heat.

If you don't like heat or cold, you could do worse than the northwest. The Seattle area has the same minimum temperatures as Atlanta but rarely gets over 90 for more than a week at a time. Even then, it's usually not humid, so it's a lot less miserable than the South or East Coast. We also have a bunch of good flying fields not far away, including an MPR field available any day you bring GSE from November to May. Also can't forget the 40,000'+ waiver down in Oregon.

We have a 50,000' waiver (twice a year) at 4CRA. We have one member that flies research motors. Typically launch day has no more than 10 people there, 4 or 5 rockets (unless the college in Durango, CO shows up. They launch interesting rockets with interesting payloads). If my grandkids weren't in TX I'd probably settle here permanently.

Hey, Chuck. I'll bet you can't say fysical phitness. Aha! You just tried, but admit it -- you said physical fitness, didn't you? 😁 :headspinning:

Congrats Chuck!
I had to participate in the PRT 2 months before I retired. I thought that was kind of childish on their part.

First - many thanks to every Veteran. We owe you guys a never ending debt of appreciation.

In my work world, not medical related unfortunately, Veterans get priority. I know that for a fact because of the few times I've hired someone. I'm very, very good with that.

A very good friend of mines son was career Army Special Forces. He got out at the highest E rank (sorry, I don't know those numbers even after my two boys did their time in The USAF) there was. He had a job before he left so... it should just be a matter of getting the resume out there and taking your pick.

E9 or Command Sergeant Major - Master Chief in the Navy I think.

We have a 50,000' waiver (twice a year) at 4CRA. We have one member that flies research motors. Typically launch day has no more than 10 people there, 4 or 5 rockets (unless the college in Durango, CO shows up. They launch interesting rockets with interesting payloads). If my grandkids weren't in TX I'd probably settle here permanently.

I will have to visit on my retirement tour. That might be another topic soon.

I was at AFIT from 1982 to 1984 and then at AFMRL to 1988. You ran past AFMRL as it was close to the fence near National Road. I was in the building with the tower.

When I was in AFIT we actually had classes in the decommissioned nuclear reactor. The government always reuses stuff when it can.
I had several friends attend AFIT in that same timeframe. Did you know John McKeeman, Mike McConkey, or Brad Mortensen?

I had several friends attend AFIT in that same timeframe. Did you know John McKeeman, Mike McConkey, or Brad Mortensen?

No, I don't know them. I assume they were in graduate programs. I was in a non-graduate program.

Congrats Chuck! I'll ask the club to buy you a bottle of buorbon when start retirement!
Regards,
Fred

Bo
Congrats Chuck! I'll ask the club to buy you a bottle of buorbon when start retirement!
Regards,
Fred

Thanks. I am a little ways off from the official date, bit I can feel the relief.

Today us my last Army Combat Fitness Test. I am not sure it is an accurate measure of fitness. That being said, what do I know? I am only a physician,
I did my last USAF PT test a couple months before I retired - I didn’t have to since I was inside the “grace period” being that close to the end but I did it anyway so I didn’t feel so old and useless 😆

I did my last USAF PT test a couple months before I retired - I didn’t have to since I was inside the “grace period” being that close to the end but I did it anyway so I didn’t feel so old and useless 😆

Thank you for your years of service. You are not old and useless. You are seasoned and wise.

Congrats on your retirement!

I retired from the USAF back in 2003 (how is it possible that it was that long ago?!?). I'll turn 60 in November, so then I will become really-and-truly retired from the military.

Even though we don't need to do the fitness tests any more, it is important to maintain life-long fitness. The Air Force had a measly requirement of a 1.5 mile run in its fitness test. Since then, I've been running races. I've essentially stopped doing full marathons, but I still love doing half marathons (in fact, I'm doing one tomorrow morning).

I'm sure that the Army had a waaay more stringent test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back