mile-high rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will probably be able to buy from the manufacturer, Of course you'll get nailed for duty, customs or whatever.

Now, biggest hurdle after getting the rocket and motor is recovery. Minimum diameter rockets are extremely hard to spot a mile up. Most of the time they get lost visually, only when an ejection charge goes off and even then most will lose it again on desent. Using a chrome Mylar ribbon streamer vastly improves the chances of recovery and adding a chrome Mylar adheasive band around the rocket will help, too. Not the prismatic tape, it diffracts the light reflected too much to be of much use.

Are there any other rockets that can go over a mile that I can buy in the uk? I checked the shipping rates for the apogee aspire and it costs more to ship than to buy the rocket itself!

5,280' (1 mile) isn't exactly super high. ;) There's a LOT of rockets that can go that high - it's a question of motor more than rocket anyway.

In that case, are there any that you would recommend? I would like one that goes as high as possible for under £50 (excluding motors).

In that case, are there any that you would recommend? I would like one that goes as high as possible for under £50 (excluding motors).

I don't know anything about UK regulations/laws. Every motor that'll carry a rocket that high requires L1 or L2 certification here in the US.

For example, the rocket I used for my L1 cert, the PML Callisto, will easily go well over a mile on the right motor.

i've been looking at this https://www.apogeerockets.com/aspire_rocket.asp#mile_high . is there anywhere that I can get this rocket in the uk? if not, are there any others that can go over 1 mile?

Unfortunately the F10-8 motor which will take that rocket to a mile isn't available (or legal) in the UK, as far as I know :(. Wish it was, I love long burn motors. A Commanche 3 is probably your best bet for a cheap, high-flying kit.

Phil

You might want to run a sim with the new G80T. The Apogee simulation listed appears to be done using the old 100 N-S version vice the 137 N-S for the new version (https://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2152/28/ ) which has more total impulse than any of the other motors listed. The new G80T also has nearly twice the total impulse of the F10, so I'd be surpised if the Aspire didn't go gigher on the new G80 than on the F10. Try a G80T-13.

Last edited:
thanks so much for the help guys, and the quick replys! I just bought a comanche 3 as you suggested, i can't wait to launch it! I think i'll get some experience with that before i move on to the really big stuff. again, thanks for your help and advice.:)

I don't know anything about UK regulations/laws. Every motor that'll carry a rocket that high requires L1 or L2 certification here in the US.

For example, the rocket I used for my L1 cert, the PML Callisto, will easily go well over a mile on the right motor.

Not at all true. Most rockets can't exceed a mile on anything less than an H, but given a small, light, well-optimized design, you can exceed a mile rather solidly on a long burn F or G motor. The main issue with these though is recovery - it can be quite difficult to get a 29mm minimum diameter rocket back from an F10 flight.

Not at all true. Most rockets can't exceed a mile on anything less than an H, but given a small, light, well-optimized design, you can exceed a mile rather solidly on a long burn F or G motor.
It also helps if your launch site is at 5000' AGL (or higher):)

Back