Might be offline for a few days... Typhoon is OTW, and we're expected to be hit.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Latest news... I'm going to get my first Covid shot in the morning. After that, my co-workers and I are planning on going to the grocery store to stock up in preparation for the inbound typhoon (hurricane) set to hit us soon. In advance of this, all classes from Wednesday to Saturday have been canceled.

I've been charging my rechargeable light's batteries, planning on getting batteries for the other lights that I have, and no-cook food supplies in the event that our electricity/gas gets knocked out. I've got 3 15L bottles of water for my watercooler, and the remains of a 4th already loaded.

Looks like I'll get that weekend off I've been hoping for and a chance to clean my apartment.

Any suggestions for other supplies?

Headlamp, ice for the fridge. Tape for your windows, a small propane heater/cooking adapter for Colman style bottles.Candles, a good book, snacks. Download anything now, you can delete later, but repeaters may by hit. Be aware of any compromise in the water system due to flooding. Purification tablets? Does it get cold at night? Stay safe buddy! Ben sent me some amazing pics of lightning over Shanghai.

Don't know if you have a car or moped, but if you do, top off the gas.
Charcoal for your hibachi.
Rice. Goes with the canned goods.
TP.
Oh wait, you don't want to be accused of hoarding.
😁

I would hold off on the covid shot... some times things go haywire, despite what we are lead to believe. The likelihood is slim, but it is a reality. Just in case, waiting until you can get help seems prudent.

Other than that.. water (as you already have) and food that doesn't expire quickly... energy bars, canned goods, a propane grill, whiskey, etc.

Battery powered fan. Hot, humid, stagnant air gets old pretty quick.

I would hold off on the covid shot... some times things go haywire, despite what we are lead to believe.

Pretty good advice, 2 of my coworkers were knocked down pretty hard by their vaccinations. Out of work for two days with fever and nausea, no fun if the electricity & water is out.

Take care.

I would hold off on the covid shot... some times things go haywire, despite what we are lead to believe. The likelihood is slim, but it is a reality. Just in case, waiting until you can get help seems prudent.

Other than that.. water (as you already have) and food that doesn't expire quickly... energy bars, canned goods, a propane grill, whiskey, etc.
Too late

Turn off the water supply (remembr to turn it back on after this is all over). You then have 100% known clean water from your water heater tank. That can be nearly 100 litres by itself.

@heada - On demand water heater, but not used for drinking.

@kuririn - SinoPharm

No bath tub.

I have large containers of water (3x recycled beer taps) that are loaded with water (for flushing). My drinking/cooking water is from 15L water bottles (water cooler style)... I have 3 full ones and one partial. Freezer is full of ice.

It's starting to cloud up in the south... A bit of wind blowing around now (strong breeze).

Home with about 1400 RMB worth of mostly non-perishable food (useful if we go into lockdown again, or I don't want to go out for food due to weather).

Latest Update... Weather... We're mostly overcast, the sun is setting, and the wind has died. Rain is forecast for sometime in the morning (around 7 according to my weather app). The heat today was in the upper 80s (F) and the humidity was really high. It's one of those days when you take a cold shower, take out the trash, get soaked in sweat, take a shower, walk down to catch a cab, get soaked in sweat... Need another shower. I'm on shower #4 already. I'd have had more if it wasn't for the shear exhaustion from the heat. However, I have been told to keep the area of the shot dry for 24 hours (Yeah... Right... When you're breaking out in full body sweats?)

Bike has been recovered from work. On a plus side, I was able to see that my barber was open when I was heading home (nice cold shampoo before getting the cut, and after it) all for 20RMB (about $3). On the negative side... I realize now, I forgot to pick up the granola bars I wanted (the import grocery store (METRO) has Nature Valley bars)(NUTZ!!! I forgot the deck of playing cards but that's just downstairs at the corner market). Perhaps, if conditions tomorrow aren't too bad, I'll make a special trip for them, but it's unlikely as it's about 4K, uphill, on a busy street, and I've got stuff to do (cleaning my apartment).

Don't feel too bad from the shot... The heat exhaustion is making up for that.

So, now I'm fairly settled in, and it's time to play the waiting game.

@tsmith1315 The rechargeable fans arrived today, and are charging right now. I also have a number of traditional folding fans within arms reach.

They're posted here for the most part. The older computer is still functional, save for not being able to access the internet... Which I'm guessing is a software problem. It has all but the newest .ork files.

After that, my co-workers and I are planning on going to the grocery store to stock up in preparation for the inbound typhoon (hurricane) set to hit us soon.
Are you talking about Tropical Depression Nepartak ?

Are you talking about Tropical Depression Nepartak ?

Whatever is pointed at Shandong Province right now... Typhoon In-Fa.

By the time it hits us, it might be downgraded to a tropical storm, but the last time we had a typhoon, we had to work a half day, and it hit us before that day was over (I had to ride my bike home in the rain/wind). This time we've got Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday confirmed off, and possibly Sunday too. If the natives are that restless, I think it's a good idea to be prepared for it.

That's good to hear. Nice thing is that I'm now set for quite a while with food that will last (good for when I feel like cooking something instead of going out). I hope that it'll weaken even further. The flooding around the country along with this is really bad.

I guess you're in the clear but I thought to add if you're cooking indoors with gas bottles, beware of fumes/CO buildup.
I don't have any kind of camp stove here... I don't even know if the gas is turned on for my stove... I've used it like 5 times in nearly 6 years. The last time was over 3 years ago.
I microwave or boil (with an electric kettle) anything I cook.

I did buy some self cooking meals today. Open it up, add the supplied water to the base, peel the wrap a little off the top of the dish, and close it up for 15 minutes. It has an iron based element that rusts in an exothermic reaction and cooks the food.

Not viable if the power is out, it will just melt. Dry ice in a good cooler, however, will provide a longer cold storage solution for perishables.
Dry ice is not viable if there's no way to get it before the event... What's more... Water ice will keep what's in the fridge cool, and can be drunk after it melts. Dry ice can't be drunk.

Latest posts

Back