MIDWESTBLAST2 Michiana Rocketry Launch April 22 and 23, 2017 Three Oaks, MI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
MIDWESTBLAST2
Michiana Rocketry will be hosting a 2 day launch Saturday April 22nd and 23rd Year 2017

Last year's MIDWESTBLAST1 was well attended with lot's of great launches, we are expecting even a bigger and better launch this year. You don’t wanna miss this one!

Launch details:
Launch times both days 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
Waiver to 12,000 Feet, Call in 16,000 Feet
Motors permitted up to M impulse size, EX both days,
Sparkys = Yes, We luv them
On site fully adjustable NEW LAUNCH PADS:
8 Low Power pads ( A thru E) 1/8 to 1/4 inch rods
4 Mid Power pads (F,G H,I) 1 inch (1010) rails, 3/8,1/2 rods
4 High Power pads (J,K,L) 1 inch (1010) rails
2 Extreme High Power Pad (M) 1.5 inch (1515) rail, 280 pound limit
Launch controller WilsonFX digital wireless
Daily launch fee per day: Members $10 Non-members $15, both days $20
Multiple vendors will be onsite both days.
Two Porta Potties, Hand washing station and trash dumpster provided.
Food: Saturday Onsite Pigroast with several sides, cherry cobbler, and soda /water
Food provided by award winning BBQ master
Saturday night after launch meet/party/BS session at Nelson's Saloon (yes kid friendly)
at 18 N. Elm St, Downtown Three Oaks MI
Directions and more info: michianarocketry.org
Rain Date April 29th and 30th

FLYER View attachment MIDWESTBLAST2.pdf

Last edited:
We will be doing the last 4" Cardboard 38mm drag race of the season Got a 4" cardboard rocket? Think you have the a BAD Arnold impersonation for talking pre drag race smack? YA da girlie rockets are to scared!! Grab A H100W DMS motor and join in on the goofy fun.

Note: We are currently taking orders for MIDWESTBLAST2 T-shirts.
T-shirts for MIDWESTBLAST2 ordering form is up on the website at www.michianarocketry.org
Note: April 5th deadline.

COST: $20.00 EACH, NOTE: ANY PROFITS MADE DONATED TO MICHIANA ROCKETRY
PAY FOR SHIRTS AT MIDWESTBLAST2
SHIRTS WILL BE DELIVERED AT MIDWESTBLAST2

DESIGN INFORMATION:
FULL 11 COLORS ON BLACK T-SHIRT,
CUSTOM DESIGNED BY LOCAL COMIC BOOK GRAPHIC ARTIST
HELPS SUPPORT MICHIANA ROCKETRY MIDWESTBLAST2
WEAR YOUR SHIRT PROUDLY!

T-SHIRT BRAND INFORMATION:
QUALITY HANES COMFORTSOFT TAGLESS T-SHIRT, 6.1 OZ. 100% PRE-SHRUNK COTTON
COVERSTICHED COLLAR FOR COMFORT, DOUBLE-NEEDLE STITCHED FOR DURABILITY
AVAILABLE SIZES: YXS TO 4XL - GENEROUS FIT.

April 5th Deadline. Go to www.michianarocketry.org for form to order or download below:

MWB2.jpg

View attachment MWB2_TSHIRT_0RDER.pdf

View attachment MWB2.pdf

Last edited:
We will be doing the last 4" Cardboard 38mm drag race of the season Got a 4" cardboard rocket? Think you have the a BAD Arnold impersonation for talking pre drag race smack? YA da girlie rockets are to scared!! Grab A H100W DMS motor and join in on the goofy fun.

I can only make Sunday for this launch, but I've got a 4" Madcow Cricket that'll fit the H100W. If the drag race is Sunday then I'm in.

cheers - mark

We have some Sat only but I think I have enough H100's we can do Sat and sun drag races

Michiana Rocketry Members and Friends,

The MIDWESTBLAST2 Launch is a GO.

The weather for this Saturday and Sunday April 22 and 23 Launch is looking pretty good. No rain is being forecasted. Saturday may be a little cloudy but still expecting some open sky with high cloud ceiling to be able to launch high power. Sunday is forecast to be very sunny with 0% clouds, and wind speed on both days not to bad either.

Updated news about our FAA waiver for MIDWESTBLAST2, while our standard 12,000 FT waiver will be in place for the complete launch, the FAA has approved and granted us a 16,000 FT waiver for Saturday April 22nd for the hours of 12 PM to 2PM EST. I believe this is the highest waiver available anywhere in the Midwest so if you have a high flyer this is your chance.

Information about the MIDWESTBLAST2 launch schedule:
Michiana Rocketry will be hosting a 2 day launch our MIDWESTBLAST2 on April 22 and 23, 2017 Three Oaks, MI. The launch on Saturday/Sunday will be at the usual times of set up at 9 am and flying from 10 am to 5 pm EST. Note: To get a good start on this we will be setting up on Friday April 21st starting at 3 pm EST so if you can come and help out this will be much appreciated.

MWB2 T-shirt orders are in and they look fabulous. For everyone who pre-ordered a T-shirt they will be available at the tables near the RSO table. We did end up making a few extra T-shirts that can be purchased at MWB2 but in limited supplies, so if interested come by the T-shirt table as soon as possible before they sell out. The cost is $20 each and are high quality Hanes full color printed shirt. Note: All profits will be donated to Michiana Rocketry, thank you for supporting MWB2.

TSHIRT_PHOTO1.jpg

Also, new for this year is a take home sculpture keepsake cast in high quality resin that was custom sculpted by a local artist who also does work for Mattel toys and has also sculpted several sci-fi and monster movie back drop pieces. The MWB2 sculpture will be giving out free to anyone who registers to launch at MIDWESTBLAST2. It will look great sitting on your trophy shelf or your rocket assembly bench. The sculpture will have the words:
“I PARTICIPATED IN MIDWESTBLAST2 APRIL 2017, THREE OAKS, MI”
in scripted on each sculpture to remember the MWB2 launch you participated in.
Thanks to ROCKETPOXY for sponsoring and donating the resin casting material, RTV molding rubber, color pigments, and time to cast the sculptures.

MWB2_SCULPTURE.jpg

Launch details: (Also see attached brochure on club website)
We launch on huge farm fields capable of launching everything from A to M motors.
We are approximately 1 hour drive from Chicago.
Launch times both days 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
Waiver to 12,000 Feet, additional 16,000 Feet waiver will be in effect April 22, 12;00 PM to 2:00 PM EST
Motors permitted up to M impulse size, EX both days,
Sparkys = Yes, We luv them
On site fully adjustable NEW LAUNCH PADS launch pads:
8 Low Power pads ( A thru E) 1/8 to 1/4 inch rods
4 Mid Power pads (F,G H,I) 1 inch (1010) rails, 3/8,1/2 rods
4 High Power pads (J,K,L) 1 inch (1010) rails
2 Extreme High Power Pad (M) 1.5 inch (1515) rail, 280 pound limit
Launch controller WilsonFX digital wireless
Daily Registration/launch fee per day: Members $10 Non-members $15, both days $20
Multiple vendors will be onsite both days, we are expecting Countyline hobbies, Impulse buys, and Wildman Rocketry
Two Porta Potties, Hand washing station and trash dumpster provided.
Food: Saturday Onsite Pigroast with several sides, cherry cobbler, and soda /water
Food provided by award winning BBQ master
Saturday night after launch meet/party/BS session at Nelson's Saloon (yes kid friendly)
at 18 N. Elm St, Downtown Three Oaks MI
Directions and more info at club website

We can always use volunteers to help in setting up, breaking down, and work the LCO and RSO positions for this launch, I am planning to meet at the Three Oaks Launch field Friday April 21st around 3 pm with trailer to start getting our field set up. Remember we all need to help share the responsibility of running the club.

So, let’s all come on out and have a great time.
Go to https://www.michianarocketry.org/ for the latest launch update and map to field
Regards,
John Olevich
Prefect/President
Michiana Rocketry

Hello to all, I wanted to clarify the MIDWESTBLAST2 launch fee schedule since I did get an email with someone asking questions about this. Basically the MWB2 fee schedule will be exactly like all our previous launches and will follow our Daily Launch Form fee schedule (you can download this form at our club website). The reference on the MWB2 brochure for “Daily Registration/launch fee per day: Members $10 Non-members $15, both days $20 is for High Power motors H or larger.
If you are a paid member with a paid high power season pass you are free.

We will be following the same Michiana Rocketry Daily Launch Form Fee schedule below for MWB2:

MICHIANA ROCKETRY LAUNCH FEES:
Children under 18 years of age - FREE
Adult Member with Season Pass HP all motors - FREE
Adult Member Low Power motors G or smaller - FREE
Adult Member High Power motors H or larger- $10.00
Adult Non-Member Low Power motors G or smaller - $5.00
Adult Non-Member High Power motors H or larger - $15.00 Per Day or $20.00 both days
Hope that was helpful.
John Olevich
President/Prefect
Michiana Rocketry

Unfortunately I am on call this weekend and will only be able to sneak out Sunday morning.
I'm going to bring a couple of small "birds from the herd" and will fly what I can.
Really looking forward to seeing the gang and maybe making a couple of new friends.
Weather is looking good. Be safe and have fun Saturday. See you all Sunday

Here is a preview on a few of the Rockets being launched at MIDWESTBLAST2:

MIKE_M_ROCKET.jpg

Mike M. will be launching his Maiden flight of a 45 pound / 18" square at the base / 54" tall semi-scale model of the McDonnell Douglas Delta Clipper. L1520 Blue Thunder motor. Proper CG vs. CP relationship, plus clear lexan fins. Heads-up flight. Launching Sunday "noonish".

BOB_J_ROCKET.jpg

Bob J. Bomb Pop is going up this weekend.

ANDYS_ROCKET.jpg

Andy P. will be putting up his confuser Odd ROC

MWP12_DG3.jpg
John O. Super Striker high altitude flyer

Weather is looking better and better for the weekend MWB2 launch.
I’m definitely planning on taken advantage of the 16,000 feet waiver on Saturday. This high altitude rocket I’m planning on launching was built from a kit that was a modified 4 inch diameter Madcow Super Striker all filament wound fiberglass kit, airframe for the fin can was changed to 36 inches long, top section was 30 inches long. Fins tabs, rings, and internals were modified for a 75 mm motor tube (my stock super striker came made for a 54 mm motor). What I really liked about this kit was the all filament wound fiberglass conical nosecone, haven’t seen a lot conical shape FW nosecone on many other kits yet in this size. Also the fin shape and size are almost a perfect design for extremely low drag but stable fast flights. Needed the rocket and fins to hold up to a lot of speed so of course used Rocketpoxy for all the internal and external construction, the cool fluorescent yellow external fin fillets were made with Rocketpoxy mixed with a pigmented yellow fluorescent color. Dual deploy with a 9 inch long Avbay with my own designed custom machined sled and end caps, used two PerfectFlite Stratologgers. For recovery used Spherachute 30 inch drogue and Spherachute 72 inch main. Used 27 inch long ¼ inch wide tubular Kevlar shock cords from TopFlite for both drogue and main. About 8 pounds unloaded and 19 pounds loaded, No nose weight was needed as CG margin was about 1.2. On the last flight the Motor used was a 75 mm 4 grain Aerotech L1365M with my own designed and custom machined motor retainer/thrust ring. Rocket landed over 3 miles away but was able to retrieve within about 15 minutes due to using dual trackers on board, a GPS Garmin astro and a comspec radio tracker. Stratologgers measured the Max Altitude reached was 15,187 feet, speed was over 1,570 feet/sec, note Rocksim had calculated a max altitude of 15,570 feet. I have even a bigger motor, sim right out to the edge of 16,000 feet, lets see what it will do on Saturday.

Last edited:
Here are a few more rockets going up this weekend. My girlfriend's Madcow 4" Super Batray. She's doing her L1 cert flight. My 4" LOC Expediter and my Bomb Pop. All ready to go! Should be a fantastic weekend for rockets.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492765106.855788.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492765123.895315.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492765144.129913.jpg

Hey Jar

If you going alone i could co-pilot sun morn!

been many moon's since my last Three Oak's

john

Need a couple things if anyone is willing

54mm fly away guides - anyone willing to lend or sell at the launch?

Or

Rail less launch pad for 54mm?

Hoping to finish a 54MD for a shakedown flight

Here's a couple I'll be launching on Sunday. I'll be going for my L2 with the 3" Darkstar flying a Red Loki K527 :cool: The little guy in the background is a Madcow 1.6" FG BBII that is my daughter's new rocket.

20170421_071930 rotated.jpg

cheers - mark

Last edited:
Nick;
I will bring fly away guides on Sunday.
I need to make a fairly quick turn around so if you could plan your flight before noon that would be cool.
Check your inbox for my contact info.

Need a couple things if anyone is willing

54mm fly away guides - anyone willing to lend or sell at the launch?

Or

Rail less launch pad for 54mm?

Hoping to finish a 54MD for a shakedown flight

I want to thank the Michiana Rocketry people for a well run launch on Sat. 4/22. I was able to fly three rockets and I recovered them easily. Temps in the mid 50's with winds at 10 to 15 mph. The pork roast was excellent! Greg Olson

There is no limit to the smartassery that can be found on a Michiana Rocketry flight line.

:wink::kill::flyingpig::facepalm::cyclops::fly::y:

Yah you were in AWW of da MANLEY MEN. I got 3 killer flights to impress da girlie men. Polish Thunder III. for another great flight, Polish pop ( CS Rockets Bomb Pop rocket), And Brituski, Smoked Andys sussy rocket.

Yah you were in AWW of da MANLEY MEN. I got 3 killer flights to impress da girlie men. Polish Thunder III. for another great flight, Polish pop ( CS Rockets Bomb Pop rocket), And Brituski, Smoked Andys sussy rocket.

Aaaaannnddd how'd the bomb pop race go?

Oh yeah, you lost.

:roll:

Yaa But I am manley enough to take da challange win or loose. Not saying " I am to much of a sissy boy to fly in da Manley drag race". Lol Ya da Arnold smack talking with Andy and company has been a blast. maybe next Three Oaks season is pro wrestling smack talk. I can do a mean Macho Man randy savage and Ultimate Warrior. lol

The videos from today are all edited and put together. Just need to post them on YouTube. I'll do that soon. Here's a teaser. A Bomb Pop drag race. Someone's rocket was so low that my camera actually caught a glimpse of it...ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1493005909.930901.jpg
In all honesty, today couldn't have gone better. Got to launch some rockets under a clear blue sky with some of my favorite people. Can't wait until fall for the next flying season.

Yaa But I am manley enough to take da challange win or loose. Not saying " I am to much of a sissy boy to fly in da Manley drag race". Lol Ya da Arnold smack talking with Andy and company has been a blast. maybe next Three Oaks season is pro wrestling smack talk. I can do a mean Macho Man randy savage and Ultimate Warrior. lol

:facepalm:

Let me tell you something, brother.... I will step into the ring with any of your sissified "wrestlers" and snap them in half!!!
This will be interesting, I can't wait.
See you at the next one

Let me tell you something, brother.... I will step into the ring with any of your sissified "wrestlers" and snap them in half!!!
This will be interesting, I can't wait.
See you at the next one

Oh no...They're multiplying.

LOOK AT WUT U STARTED BOB

SHEEZ

LOL

The videos from today are all edited and put together. Just need to post them on YouTube. I'll do that soon. Here's a teaser. A Bomb Pop drag race. Someone's rocket was so low that my camera actually caught a glimpse of it...View attachment 318381
In all honesty, today couldn't have gone better. Got to launch some rockets under a clear blue sky with some of my favorite people. Can't wait until fall for the next flying season.

That screenshot is freaking awesome. You know if you could get like the frame immediately previous to that would be perfect. Then you'd get the loosing rocket completely in the frame.

The videos from today are all edited and put together. Just need to post them on YouTube. I'll do that soon. Here's a teaser. A Bomb Pop drag race. Someone's rocket was so low that my camera actually caught a glimpse of it...View attachment 318381

Yea, Bob's not going to like that...

Great to see you yesterday and congrats to Karrie on her perfect L1 flight.

Great to see everyone yesterday, conditions were awesome. Sure wish I could attend more launches, but just not in the cards.

No pics wanted to keep it simple.
Flew 2 HPR for nice long walks.

Firestick XL - must have a girlfriend west of the flight line, always likes to go that way. J250-14 to 3053'.
Interesting issue with my primary altimeter- both drogue and main charges went off in the pad even though it beeped 3 beeps after initialization. Pulled apart and couldn't see anything obvious so decided to use motor backup and the backup altimeter for the flight which worked fine.

LOC Precision Hi-tech on an H45 long burn. DD with no motor backup. Flew on a nice long burn arc away from the flight line ...to only 2586' and 2208' feet away from me :), RTx worked ok but was visible the entire flight. Learned to not tilt the launch rail for a long burn , really needs to be straight.

Formula 38 on a little F27 FJ-7 sec delay was perfect. As soon as I get an RF tracker, going to shove a G40 or G80 in it!

54MD shakedown flight didn't happen, couldn't find fly aways or a tower, next time will come more prepared. This is ok as I think I have some fine tuning fit issues and tracking issues to finish prior to flight.

Thanks to Michiana rocketry and the volunteers who made for a great launch.

Thanks Bob J @ County line Hobbies for bringing my AeroTech M1939 White Lightning for a future launch.

Back