Midwest Power Contests

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but without the proper protection (me, you kiddin'?) you end up with a dry, chalky like feeling in your throat plus hacking/coughing much of the night and then in the morning when you blow your nose you have a light blue hue in the residue left in the Kleenex (yuck!).

Dixie?:eek: It's the "Gus Whisperer":eek: We need too talk......

I know things have been kind of tough recently.....
I know that its been very hard for the "Czar of Cayuga" too adjust to living in the local Motel 6.....
I know what it's like to be so fascinated by a goal that other people kick you out of your castle and, you have to adjust somewhere else/someway......
I can understand the complexity of no sleep, BEEEG cups of Starbucks coffee:caffeine: and, the days/nights all running together.....

A much more sane version of yourself would never...ever add *Mass* to a competition rocket such as this.....:no:

It wasn't UNTIL i saw the picture of your motel room that i added two and, two together.....:eek: It's the BLUE POWDER!

Tim got hold of that new *Billy Idol Columbian brand BLUE HIGHWAY Snus!*

Oh the inhumanity!!!:cry:

INTERVENTION TIME!

...I used to have a job!
*snort* BLUE HIGHWAY!

...Sold my Electra Glide!
For some BLUE HIGHWAY!

...I've been up for a week!
On the BLUE*cough*HIIIIIGHWAY!

...Yes, i ALMOST died....!
*snork*.....*cough*.....*cough*......BLUE HIGHHHHHWAY!

Tim, i'm coming over there RIGHT NOW.....I'm NOT bringing the cops.....just me.....there will be just a quick three knocks on the door so you know it's me and, don't......shoot!:rant:

We'll get you a cool shower and, then let you sleep this off....

We can get through this together......:)
I want you too repeat after me....
"There's NO place like home....." "There's NO place like home......"

This weekend i have TWO aspiring Aerospace Engineers coming down too visit me....along with their rockets. I'm going to make some suggestions and, help them achieve a single minded goal that they have. Your soooo lucky that i'm not entered in the Drag Race this year as i would make sure that you went down like a g*y waiter at a Pasta Slinging Festival at the hit of the button.

Last edited:
Two Altimeters!! Surely that will put you over weight!

It's definitely a balancing act. To be truthful, I'm not in this thing to win it. Really it is a test bed for some lightening ideas I had for the TS5 Mach Madness build, and more importantly, number two, not to loose and wear the dress. I figured the second point was enough to justify the second alt.

I will ignore Gus' ramblings. Av-sled done.

View attachment 148001

Dixie? We need too talk again......:facepalm: Has it come too this.....really:confused:

You build a composite rocket with only the finest in modern glues, carbon and, kevlar cloth....along with space age foam.....

To sacrifice a section of a wooden drawer, from the nightstand of your motel room.

Someday....someones going to be looking for their Gideons Bible and, when they open THAT drawer....its going to slide too the back and, into the darkest...deepest bowels of the nightstand....to be forever forgotten.:(

Dave...(David987Fox) let me explain what "El Viejo" is up too here.....(AND, i really love explaining THINGS to engineers....:lol:)

Distinct Advantages seen in the photo....

1. I can pretty much surmise exactly how long of a coupler he is going too use by the known sizes of the altimeter(s)/battery pictured.
2. He will be using a very reliable Perfectflite Stratologger to record his actual altitude.
3. Even though i cannot positively identify the secondary unit.....i believe that it has Baro/Accel capability and, that a magnetic switch is somewhat involved.

Distinct Disadvantages seen in the photo....

1. Wood board construction....
a. Known issues with absorption of moisture up until the day of the flight (even with a good sealant coating) and, a change of mass of approx. 2-5 oz. positive.
b. Looks like cr*p.
2. Extra mass incurred by previously said "Unidentified Electronic Thingy."

This is how i think he's going too pull it off....

During Prep/Shortly before flight....
He fills the Avionics Bay (which is sealed by o-ringed end caps) with 1000 bar of nitrogen...through a small fill port in the forward cap.
This *simulates* approximately "Marianas Trench" AGL.

At the pad....
Using a hand held magnet he activates what i perceive too be an magnetic arming switch tied in parallel to BOTH the Stratologger and, the previously mentioned "Unidentified Electronic Thingy."

During the flight....
The "Unidentified Electronic Thingy" using what i believe to be Accel data logic...triggers a small 1/2 gram BP charge and, a small *burst panel*...therefore dumping the pressure in the Avionics Bay into the Booster....causing an apogee break.
The effect here is very similar to.....
"The evacuation of the residuals of...... a Big Bomb Cheese and, Bean Burrito"....

aka.......PHHHHHHHFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT!:surprised:

For Recovery....
The (once again) previously mentioned "Unidentified Electronic Thingy" uses a timer mode on Pyro Channel 2 too activate a small parachute to deploy using the conventional method of a small BP charge in the parachute tube.

For Contest Altitude Verification....
Only the Stratologgers data is used, as it has been tricked into thinking it traveled "Half way too Space!"
Thus.....
Tim blows the waiver.
Tim sets a new "K" powered rocket world altitude record..
Tim wins the contest...
Ya'll wear the dress....

Now contrary too belief you don't have to "Kick his leads off to win.":no:

That would be cruel.

Simply carry a small but, POWERFUL magnet in your pocket and, *wave* your hand around his rocket as you walk by to do your continuity check.

In summary....Things "I" would have done differently.
1. Shorten the bay coupler even more.
a. The internal pressure along with a good slather of glue into the parachute tube would forever keep the whole unit more stable and, solid than a longer more heavier piece of tubing.
2. Minimally use Carbon Fiber plate (1/16" thick) to secure my components to.
3. Extensive use of aluminum.
a. Thread All.
b. All Thread.
c. Threaded Rod too connect the bay ends.....along with aluminum nuts, washers.....
3. Just flown the Stratologger.

Final Thoughts....

Wood?
WOOD?
WOOOOD?!

View attachment 148179

Carbon Fiber.......;)

Wiser....
View attachment 148180

Gus you clearly cracked my Google Docs password and downloaded my top secret MWP11 Drag Race design document. I would call the NSA, CIA or FBI to track you down but THEY'RE NOT ANSWERING THE PHONE! (non-essential I guess).

BTW I will select <1/16" lite ply with 1oz FG laminate over carbon plate any day--sled weighs 0.25oz. (the motel drawer would have been my second choice). Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a space-age composites snob.

Gus if it'll make you feel better I could paint the sled flat black and you'd never know the difference.

Last edited:
I am thinking the FAA is still up and running so we should be ok for the waiver.

I thought I read something here (TRF) about a launch somewhere being cancelled due to this? Maybe it was in "that" thread...

Composite sleds don't play nice with Ravens. In the interest of saving space the mounting holes double as Vdd and Vss. I let out the fairly expensive magic smoke before I realized that.

Composite sleds don't play nice with Ravens. In the interest of saving space the mounting holes double as Vdd and Vss. I let out the fairly expensive magic smoke before I realized that.

Hopefully this isn't the one you sold to me. :shock:

I saved the magic smoke for you. Just put it back in and it's good as new. Just kidding.

Composite sleds don't play nice with R*vens. In the interest of saving space the mounting holes double as Vdd and Vss. I let out the fairly expensive magic smoke before I realized that.

Ra..:point:
Rah...:surprised:
RrrrrrRRRRR...rah!:surprised:

Water! MUST have wah...ter.....:eek: CAN'T breeee......athe.........:eek:

GUS!!!

GET BACK TO BUILDING!!!

Water, water....water.......*GLUG*...*Glug*...*glug*............*buuurp*:yawn:

Better now, sorry about that.....:sigh: Had a relapse there......:eek:

Break! Take a break!:D Lets see......organize tools....organize tools....mind over matter....mind over matter.......
View attachment 148237

Nothing really matters...
Anyone can see...
Nothing really matters....
Nothing reeeeally matters......too me......

Any way.....the wind.....blows......:D

Last edited:
GUS!!!

GET BACK TO BUILDING!!!

Building?! You gotta be kidding... He already said he was having a couple college kids over to help them with their drag race builds--Gus just living vicariously through the younger, YOUNGER generation.

Gus just living vicariously through the younger, YOUNGER generation.

Yah! Too bad some of those "Younger Ones" aren't HOT looking Female Red Heads, with big Goozonga's.......:clap:

The world needs more Female Rocket Scientists.......:2:

HEY! Sounds like the rain has stopped outside. Time to go outside and, play.....really hate to do any sanding in the shop....without moving some cars around.:mad:

Attention Kmart shoppers...we are NOT open for business!

Going technology silent for the rest of the day.......

Ok, that post was made at 9:19 am. Any bets on how long this will last?

We could make it more challenging for him...

A trucker, a red-head, and a politician walk into a bar.

The bartender looks up and says, " ------------------------- (witty reply from Gus goes here) ------------------------- "

The bartender looks up and says, " ------------------------- (witty reply from Gus goes here) ------------------------- "

WOW! It looks like he really meant it.

"Young lady....IF you want too surround yourself with trash.....we have a dumpster out back that you can ROMP around in. At the very least you won't find yourself with a venereal disease or in a scandalous photo on the cover of the National Enquirer.....";)

*Raises microphone (arm out stretched) to shoulder level.....drops microphone.....walks backwards into the shadows slowly....*

Where's Dixie:confused:

How's the *Hotel California* treating you:confused:

Still blowing Smurfs......*cough* *cough* Still blowing Smurfs out your nose:confused:

Thought i'd check...:eek:

Hey!:surprised: Guess what:confused: I spent ALL DAY yesterday building the thing "That will redefine what you call a THUMPER LAUNCH." Looking good!;)

Also, i helped put some tricks into a Comp3 yesterday that will give you a serious run for your *munage*.....watch out....it took two of use to hold it down!:rofl:

Talk too you soon.....

Where's Dixie:confused:

How's the *Hotel California* treating you:confused:

Still blowing Smurfs......*cough* *cough* Still blowing Smurfs out your nose:confused:

Thought i'd check...:eek:

Simple. I started counting days until MWP11 and realized this spur-of-the-moment drag race decision is screwing with my intended launch plan. I need to button this thing up in a day or two and then move on! :no:

Also, i helped put some tricks into a Comp3 yesterday that will give you a serious run for your *munage*.....watch out....it took two of use to hold it down!:rofl:

Great! Just what we need... More little Gusminions bouncing around the launch site like Manny :tongue:

Back