Midwest Power 7 -- What are you flying?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Although a parallel thread to one on the Tripoli Quad Cities board, not all are members over there, so I'd like to see what others are planning to fly. BTW, there are some pretty impressive projects on the slate (e.g., 12" Patriot on an M2200 Skidmark AT NIGHT!)

My list is much more humble: I'll be flying left to right a Performance Rocketry Little John on a J275W, scratch built "Formal Affair" on a K695G, a Public Enemy Fat Boy at the night launch on an I357W, an Aerotech Mirage on an I200W, scratch built Crayon on an I357W and a PML Excalibur (Extended/Hybrid) on a J500G.

4003887671_c41d54ed73_b.jpg

- Performance Rocketry Competitor 3 - K555SK
- Binder Sentinel - I315SK
- Binder Iris - I301W
- LOC Ezi-65 - H112J
- Performance Rocketry Gizmo - I245G
- PML Sudden Rush - I218R
- PML Bulldog - G77R
- PML Phobos - H180W

I'll probably be flying other MPR and LPR rockets that I still need to decide on. I have some big Hobby Lobby corns that I want to make into D-burners.

-Aerotech Sumo - H180W
-Giant Leap Talon 3 - I211W
-Pem Tech King Kraken - I59WN
-Sheri's Hot Rockets Gemini Titan - 2x G77R
-Scratch Build, Running With Scissors - I200W
-Yank Enterprizes Mystic Buzz - H250G

Plus some LPR and MPR stuff to fill in the gaps between the big stuff.

Both nice lists. You guys must prep rockets much faster than I do. With four dual deploy launches, I don't have any time for MPR/LPR "fill in"--then again, maybe I'm just over cautious.

Both nice lists. You guys must prep rockets much faster than I do. With four dual deploy launches, I don't have any time for MPR/LPR "fill in"--then again, maybe I'm just over cautious.

I prep my rockets at home. All of the reloads are going to be built either before the launch or while an altimeter is being switched from one rocket to another. All I have to do at the lauch is install the parachutes, wadding, and igniter at the pad.

The recoveries are going to be tough though, with two single deploment flights going close to a mile. Let's just hope the wind is calm.

Wildman Extreme L850
3" Wildman DD L935 (Drag Race)
Modified Competitor 5 M1790

I am doing my level 1 flight with a Mad Cow Sea Wolf on a I566 Vmax.

Wildman said it would only go a couple of hundred feet higher than the H motor I was going to use. :D (Thanks go out to Tim for giving me a great deal on the motor and case!)

According to calculations it should go about 1500ft which should be a nice
Level one flight. I will be flying it Saturday after the drag race. I volunteered
for pad manager duty in the morning so I could get a good idea of where things are going and have the best chance of landing in a good area. It will all be over soon.

Dan

Midwest Power 7 Postponed!!!

Originally scheduled for October 30th-Novermber 1st

Why is MWP 7 Postponed?

Nearly all corn and soy bean fields surrounding the Midwest Power flying field outside of Princeton, IL have NOT been harvested due to excessive rain and mild summer temperatures. Through a close working relationship with the landowner and liaison, a formal “no-go” decision was made on Wednesday October 21st, 2009. Out of respect and appreciation for our gracious landowner, we had no other choice but to postpone. Please understand that the difficult decision to postpone MWP-7 was not taken lightly.

What’s the Plan?

Since farming in the Midwest is roughly 4-5 weeks behind schedule, the event must be pushed back. In order to minimize further risk, Midwest Power 7 has been rescheduled for the fourth weekend in November.

Friday, November 27th (Research)

Saturday, November 28th (Commercial)

Sunday, November 29th (Commercial)

What We Need From You:

1. As a pre-registered flier, will you be able to attend MWP-7 given the new date??? If so, no action is required on your part. You will remain pre-registered for the rescheduled event.

2. If you are not able to attend on the new date, we must address refunding your pre-registration. Refunds can be applied in their entirety or partially. Midwest Power 7 T-shirts have been purchased, and will be available regardless of a launch date change. Please indicate if you want a refund of flight fees only, T-shirts only, or both. All refund requests need to be emailed to [email protected].

Respectfully,

Midwest Power 7 Planning Committee

That sucks. :( But you got to do what you got to do, sometimes...

In a way I'm sad (obviously :p), but in a way I'm happy. I have been WAY behind schedule on my rocket building, I really do need the extra time. :roll:

Hope it's not to late to cancel hotel reservations...

Last edited:
I'M SCREWED. DAYS INN SAYS MY ONLINE RESERVATION IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-CHANGEABLE. $150 DOWN THE DRAIN!

Midwest Power 7 Postponed!!!

Originally scheduled for October 30th-Novermber 1st

Why is MWP 7 Postponed?

Nearly all corn and soy bean fields surrounding the Midwest Power flying field outside of Princeton, IL have NOT been harvested due to excessive rain and mild summer temperatures. Through a close working relationship with the landowner and liaison, a formal “no-go” decision was made on Wednesday October 21st, 2009. Out of respect and appreciation for our gracious landowner, we had no other choice but to postpone. Please understand that the difficult decision to postpone MWP-7 was not taken lightly.

What’s the Plan?

Since farming in the Midwest is roughly 4-5 weeks behind schedule, the event must be pushed back. In order to minimize further risk, Midwest Power 7 has been rescheduled for the fourth weekend in November.

Friday, November 27th (Research)

Saturday, November 28th (Commercial)

Sunday, November 29th (Commercial)

What We Need From You:

1. As a pre-registered flier, will you be able to attend MWP-7 given the new date??? If so, no action is required on your part. You will remain pre-registered for the rescheduled event.

2. If you are not able to attend on the new date, we must address refunding your pre-registration. Refunds can be applied in their entirety or partially. Midwest Power 7 T-shirts have been purchased, and will be available regardless of a launch date change. Please indicate if you want a refund of flight fees only, T-shirts only, or both. All refund requests need to be emailed to [email protected].

Respectfully,

Midwest Power 7 Planning Committee

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tell me that the weather at the end of Nov. is sunny and warm right?

I will still try and make it. I just finished my rocket to.

FINAL SEA WOLF.jpg

I'M SCREWED. DAYS INN SAYS MY ONLINE RESERVATION IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-CHANGEABLE. $150 DOWN THE DRAIN!

CALL THEM and have it changed. Raise hell until you get it... ;)

Justin

Every one of the overly-polite Indian-accented individuals that I screamed at just continued to quote their web charge policy and swore that the computer gave them no option to change or cancel anything.. Clearly they are trained by Days Inn corporate (and undoubtedly all the pissed off people that didn't see the fine print) to keep the money at all costs. BTW, I get the same story from the hotel front desk, i.e., unless you called the hotel direct to make the reservation they can't do a thing.

CALL THEM and have it changed. Raise hell until you get it... ;)

Justin

Well, that's too bad. I still have a couple small thing to finish up, so now I have time to do them.

I guess waiting a month is better then landing a rocket in a muddy corn field.

Not sure how good the weekend of the 28th-29th will be for people. A lot will be gone for Thanksgiving. What about the possibility of the launch being held on the weekend of December 5th and 6th?

Will the launch still be held, BTW, if there is snow on the ground?

And Days Inn is giving us that same crap story, too. :mad: Is there any way that the guys in charge of MWP could reason with the hotels? This seems borderline criminal...

Last edited:
Not sure how good the weekend of the 28th-29th will be for people. A lot will be gone for Thanksgiving. What about the possibility of the launch being held on the weekend of December 5th and 6th?

Will the launch still be held, BTW, if there is snow on the ground?

And Days Inn is giving us that same crap story, too. :mad: Is there any way that the guys in charge of MWP could reason with the hotels? This seems borderline criminal...

I don't know what reservation you've made, but I've made reservations in the past where I got a much better rate, but paid in advance, and agreed as part of the reservation process to various conditions, including being stuck with paying for the room whether or not I showed up. In return for the hotel knowing they had a room sold, they sold it cheaper. We both got something, and I absorbed some risk if I couldn't use the room. And at least once I've paid for a room I couldn't use when a flight got cancelled. It's a pain, but overall I've come out ahead with these deals. I view it in the same way I view getting non-refundable airline tickets for much less than the fully refundable ones cost.

If this is not the deal you made, then you should take it up with your credit card company.

Sam

If you made the reservation online, it's very probably the deal that you made. It quite clearly indicated to me that my reservation was nonrefundable, and I knew I was taking that chance when I clicked "okay".

I'll be checking in here to see if anyone gets around that, but that is the deal that we made (or at least the one that I did). I'll live with it. I've eaten the cost of non-changeable hotel reservations in the past when transportation issues didn't work out (late flights, railroad strikes, etc.). Life goes on.

No-one ever got into high power rocketry to save money.
================
As for the decision to change the date, I just drove back from north central Illinois this morning, and it sure didn't look like the fields were anywhere near ready for a launch, so I'm not at all surprised. I feel sorry for the organizers - a big thank you to them for putting in all of the effort to get this going, and now for making the tough call the right way, and bless 'em for having to go through quite a bit of it all over again in a month.

Last edited:
This week end was the best we could come up with we didn't want it to end up in December the weather here is bad enough in November.
Plus a lot of people are off that week end already.
We know we are going to lose some fliers to the holiday but we are going to lose some to any change .

Yes we will fly in the snow.
Nothing new for us let’s hope its not that cold

I will call Days Inn Monday and see if there is anything I can do
Tim

If you made the reservation online, it's very probably the deal that you made. It quite clearly indicated to me that my reservation was nonrefundable, and I knew I was taking that chance when I clicked "okay".

I'll be checking in here to see if anyone gets around that, but that is the deal that we made (or at least the one that I did). I'll live with it. I've eaten the cost of non-changeable hotel reservations in the past when transportation issues didn't work out (late flights, railroad strikes, etc.). Life goes on.

No-one ever got into high power rocketry to save money.
I guess, but it just seems like the worst business plan. It's amazing places like this can stay afloat with policies like these. Seems like a horrible way to keep a loyal customer base.:2:

I guess, but it just seems like the worst business plan. It's amazing places like this can stay afloat with policies like these. Seems like a horrible way to keep a loyal customer base.:2:

Sorry - I do sympathize. I'm in a position to "eat" that reservation cost painlessly, but I know you probably aren't.

It is important to pay attention to terms when you make this kind of reservation. The "Cancellation Policy" was very clear:

"There will be no credit or refund for early departures, cancellations, no shows, or changes in your reservation for any reason. Guests will not receive any refund or credit".

We might not like it, but they certainly were upfront with us (or me, at least) about it. I'm sure that they're weighing the possiblility of pissing off customers against the cost of having rooms sit empty after people who'd made reservations back out at the last minute. The customer most certainly is not always right, and if I set policies for a hotel, I very well might set the same kind of policy if I got burned enough by no-shows. You might not be able to stay in business if you don't.

Last year I had to cancel my Days Inn reservation when I learned late (about 1-1/2 weeks before the launch) that I couldn't make it to MWP6 (in other words, I was one of those no-shows who probably inspired the new policy). I didn't pay one cent for that room, and it may have sat empty. In the future I'll pay a little extra if I have to in order to make sure that my reservation is changeable when I'm attending an "away" launch.

========================

On a more pleasant note... If I do wind up going to the rescheduled MWP7, I plan to fly my dual deploy 3" Ariel on some kind of I motor, my Wildman Jr. on a small I or an H, and then my 4" rocket carrying my XBee/MAWD altitude telemetry device on one or two flights, and then carrying my new XBee/Arduino acceleration telemetry device on one or two other flights.

Last edited:
Midwet Power & is on for this week end
Tim

I'll be there! The next couple days should be mostly sunny, so that should dry out the mud some. If the forecast from weather.com works out, Saturday should be great! Hopefully the showers on Sunday will wait until the end of the launch.

On a sad note, my dad fried the apogee output on the Parrot, so I probably won't be able to fly the Kraken on the I59. :(

Unless you reinforced the G10 fins on the Ariel don't fly an I600. I did and with that fin geometry you shred the fins due to flutter :-( (After that I purchased AeroFinSim and use it on all my designs)

On a more pleasant note... If I do wind up going to the rescheduled MWP7, I plan to fly my dual deploy 3" Ariel on some kind of I motor

the fields are not that bad
I spent the entire day out there setting up today.
Don't get me wrong it was muddy but its going to dry up as the weekend progresses
Tim

Unless you reinforced the G10 fins on the Ariel don't fly an I600. I did and with that fin geometry you shred the fins due to flutter :-( (After that I purchased AeroFinSim and use it on all my designs)

I crashed it on an I470 during the summer, I think due to bad connections in the electronics bay. After the repairs, it's quite a bit longer and heavier than a stock Ariel, and I'm pretty sure that at its current size, it'd handle the I600. It just wouldn't be that fast anymore.

That Ariel has been my hard luck rocket, but it has been a lot of fun to fly.

Back